Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Just posted this elsewhere too but initial impressions of my PNW Cascade are very positive.
    Way too early to comment on reliability or long term durability but so far this thing seems rock solid with nice fit and finish and no play whatsoever. Super easy install and the company owner is a good dude - had prepurchase questions and install question and he was very helpful and responsive via email

Bumping this. I'm narrowing down a 27.2 dropper for my fat bike and would like the 100mm PNW Pine but no one seems to have one in stock. Anyone have any luck getting one on line? I might have to settle for the 85 mm one.

I need to rebuild a kids reverb. I’ve reviewed the manual. Anyone have advice on adjusting the inner fluid level height on the inner shaft without a suspension fluid level gauge?

I have a couple of rides on two different Tranz X droppers and they're not bad. If I was on a budget I'd consider them.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I have a couple of rides on two different Tranz X droppers and they're not bad. If I was on a budget I'd consider them.
    I have two Brand X droppers, which is Chain Reaction's house brand, made by TranzX. No problems on either. A little bit more rotational play in the older one, but not bad, not noticeable while riding.

If you have internal routing on your frame, those are the least expensive versions - like $115 or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Good things so far with the X Fusion Manic, paired with a WT remote it’s perfect. Not even sure I got a real one as I bought from a amazon, packaging was a bit suspect and no serial number, but whatever it is, been perfect. 185 ish

Most people want the internal routing these days but I kind of like the pnw components version that had the cable come out of the collar. Cable doesn't move when it's on the collar and its ez to further adjust the post with a qr(maybe someone else tries your bike, you have different shoes with different thickness, your on ultra steeps or dirt jumping, or you can easily throw in your cut off non dripper fir the bike park). I think the model was the "cascade"? They have it atleast a 150mm drop model now, maybe more. I believe it uses the same cartridge as the trans x(not positive on that) and I hear their "loam lever" is quite good. Was a decent price with smokkan's code.

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Most people want the internal routing these days but I kind of like the pnw components version that had the cable come out of the collar. Cable doesn't move when it's on the collar and its ez to further adjust the post with a qr(maybe someone else tries your bike, you have different shoes with different thickness, your on ultra steeps or dirt jumping, or you can easily throw in your cut off non dripper fir the bike park). I think the model was the "cascade"? They have it atleast a 150mm drop model now, maybe more. I believe it uses the same cartridge as the trans x(not positive on that) and I hear their "loam lever" is quite good. Was a decent price with smokkan's code.

I just ordered the cascade (170mm) with the standard lever. Really good deal with smokkan's code. This is my first time with a dropper, so excited to report back. My frame has internal routing but I saw this comment and went with the external as I tend to mess with seat height a little depending on shoes/pedals, plus would likely swap out the dropper more easily for the normal post for bikepacking trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    I just ordered the cascade (170mm) with the standard lever. Really good deal with smokkan's code. This is my first time with a dropper, so excited to report back. My frame has internal routing but I saw this comment and went with the external as I tend to mess with seat height a little depending on shoes/pedals, plus would likely swap out the dropper more easily for the normal post for bikepacking trips.
    Nice! If you havent had a dropper a 170 will be amazing. I started with a 100 then a 125 now my new bike came with a 140. 140/150 is perfect for my stub legs. Wasnt long ago that wasnt even an option. Great things. In a year and a half i had zero issues with my pnw

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Nice! If you havent had a dropper a 170 will be amazing. I started with a 100 then a 125 now my new bike came with a 140. 140/150 is perfect for my stub legs. Wasnt long ago that wasnt even an option. Great things. In a year and a half i had zero issues with my pnw

Yeah other than riding a few friend's bikes around I have no experience with a dropper, so should be a good time!

I have had 2 Race Face Turbine droppers. the first one completely froze (in the up position) after 18months while at whistler bike park, so i found a 170 version on Evo for $150 and just bought that instead of warrantying the old one. Now this one is acting up.

You know what ive realized? for almost 100% of the riding that i do, i dont need a dropper. It is almost all pedal up to the top, ride straight down. I could honestly just get a quick release clamp and not miss a dropper post on 95%+ of my rides. The only time i use my dropper is on a handful of rolly connector trails, or on some bigger backcountry rides where the alpine trails traverse ridgelines.

Im really thinking about warrantying both droppers, selling the the new replacements, and just slapping a normal post on my bike. It would simplify my cockpit and would be one less thing to break and have to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I have had 2 Race Face Turbine droppers. the first one completely froze (in the up position) after 18months while at whistler bike park, so i found a 170 version on Evo for $150 and just bought that instead of warrantying the old one. Now this one is acting up.

You know what ive realized? for almost 100% of the riding that i do, i dont need a dropper. It is almost all pedal up to the top, ride straight down. I could honestly just get a quick release clamp and not miss a dropper post on 95%+ of my rides. The only time i use my dropper is on a handful of rolly connector trails, or on some bigger backcountry rides where the alpine trails traverse ridgelines.

Im really thinking about warrantying both droppers, selling them, and just slapping a normal post on my bike. It would simplify my cockpit and would be one less thing to break and have to fix.
    Yeah I was in western Oregon before, hence why I never 'needed' a dropper. Think mostly long climbs with then long downhills. I was perfectly fine with a qr collar, and I think for this type of riding, a dropper was avoidable. In southern AZ now the few rides I've been on have involved a lot more up/down shorter climbs and rock gardens...seems like a dropper will be super useful.

No more Cow Valley huh? What part of AZ? I was in Tucson recently and Canada De Oro off the north side of Lemmon looks pretty dope. The landscapes there all look like Joshua tree ... without the Joshua trees ... and the rocks are not monoquartzite granite so they crumble like shit when you try to climb them. But besides that, and the "Breaking Bad esque" feel of southern AZ, looks like a cool place to be and the MX food is light years ahead of what we can get up here. Not to mention locally distilled mezcals ...

My sister in law just moved to Tucson last week. Grew up here in Eugene.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Anyone mention the Drop Line from Bontrager? $249, cable actuated. Super smooth, really ergo lever. I love mine.
    crab in my shoe mouth

I have no experience with the DVO post but they have them on sale $200 right now

https://dvosuspension.com/product/garnet-dropper-post/

OneUp's v1 dropper can be found for $170. I have one on my second bike, and it feels better than a KS, Reverb, Fox/Race Face. If any of my buddies were building up a bike on a budget, that's the one I'd recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    OneUp's v1 dropper can be found for $170. I have one on my second bike, and it feels better than a KS, Reverb, Fox/Race Face. If any of my buddies were building up a bike on a budget, that's the one I'd recommend.
    I second this... my OneUp post has been awesome - ridden hard all year with no issues. Better than my Fox Transfer (which very very slowly creeps down when sitting on it, and very slowly creeps up when not on it...)

How are the PNWs holding up?

I just realized the PNW guy is an old friend of mine who used to live here. And I'm about due for a new dropper.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I have two Brand X droppers, one is now on Mrs C's bike. No problems. Older one is about 2 years old. Both are external routing 125mm posts.

I'd buy one again.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

One up is great, they also have legitmately the most drop you can get for how much seat tube you have.

I have 27 inch inseam and was able to get a 180mm of drop on my Size large 2014 Trance SX....

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    No more Cow Valley huh? What part of AZ? I was in Tucson recently and Canada De Oro off the north side of Lemmon looks pretty dope. The landscapes there all look like Joshua tree ... without the Joshua trees ... and the rocks are not monoquartzite granite so they crumble like shit when you try to climb them. But besides that, and the "Breaking Bad esque" feel of southern AZ, looks like a cool place to be and the MX food is light years ahead of what we can get up here. Not to mention locally distilled mezcals ...

My sister in law just moved to Tucson last week. Grew up here in Eugene.
    Yeah made the move to Tucson. A lot more riding here (of all variety) than I was expecting so pretty pleased so far, other than having to figure out how the F to stay hydrated! I do miss biking out my door to the Mac Dunn tho and those new trails at Alsea - if my GF wasn't committed to being here for the next few years I probably would've job searched eugene/pdx a bit more.

Budget dropper posts

Anyone have an (ideally very) cheap 27.2 dropper they’d be willing to get rid of? Turns out my $26 shipped from Taiwan Tmars Gravity was a scam, I mean who’dathunk. Good thing EBay takes care of buyers in these instances.

Going to sand the diameter down to fit 26.8

I hear people talk about droppers being the biggest advancement in mountain biking in recent times. I use mine some but it’s not necessary....I guess I’m not aggro enough.

Extra few hundred bucks, weight, complexity etc.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

I dont think its about being aggro its about whether you want to and know how how to use the extra range of motion afforded by a dropper post. Most people who say "they can take it or leave it" if you watch them ride they....

A. dont really use much range of motion.
    B. think that getting back on downhills is what you do
    c. leverage INTO their seat to turn
    d. the rarest, keep their seat low and stand to pedal all the time.

but to each their own, but I would love to see some video of someone riding with a full leg extentsion seat post, make chunky, pumpy downhills look flowly.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I hear people talk about droppers being the biggest advancement in mountain biking in recent times. I use mine some but it’s not necessary....I guess I’m not aggro enough.
    Do you drop your seat for cornering?