Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Update: Zero issues with my Contact Switch after a full season of heavy use.
    Mrs. Shredalot's Contact Switch has held up with zero problems over a season that has spanned the mid-Atlantic and UT and sent both the rear shock and the fork in for rebuilds.

I'm ordering the new Contact Switch for my rig this week. Hopefully it is just as good with the stealth routing.

Can't agree more with the review Toast put on Blister.
    Started my wife on a Command Post. Switched her to a KindShock Supernatural and she would never go back. Went from multiple significant issues to total satisfaction.

As I shared in another thread, I don't get dropper posts. Not that I don't get them for others, but for me in NE roller coaster terrain on a dualie 29er, they're superfluous. I found myself using no more than 2" of up & down. Down 1-2" let me rail downhills with plenty of traction. Yap, yap, yap.

So, I still have a nearly unused Contact Switch Remote 30.9 I'm happy to sell to some deserving maggot.
    Sometimes pride comes after a fall.

Update: Both Contact Switch posts still going strong. Cable/housing replaced last year but otherwise no maintenance done. [/antijinx]

Quote Originally Posted by bl2000 View Post
    As I shared in another thread, I don't get dropper posts. Not that I don't get them for others, but for me in NE roller coaster terrain on a dualie 29er, they're superfluous. I found myself using no more than 2" of up & down. Down 1-2" let me rail downhills with plenty of traction. Yap, yap, yap.

So, I still have a nearly unused Contact Switch Remote 30.9 I'm happy to sell to some deserving maggot.
    most people who do not get dropper post do not make use of the extra Range of motion available to them and continue to move around their bike as if their saddle was still in the position its always been in.

So how bad is the KS eTen or the DNM dropper? I'm not fully convinced that spending $350+ on a dropper for my 2012 Tallboy R XC is money well spent, but all my buds tell me a dropper will up my game (and I need it!). I figured for less than $200 I could give one of these cheap ones a try.

I'll second that I love mine. Best newish piece of mtb equipment to come out imo. If ya got the $350 it's worth it
    skid luxury

FWIW I've been seeing KS Levs and Reverbs on sale lately, and Universal Cycles has a 15% off orders over $300 coupon right now. I decided to beta test the new Fox post to replace my dying Giant Contact Switch and ordered it for $280 including remote with the coupon.

Add me to the "dropper posts rock" club.

I have an eTen. It works just fine. I wouldn't mind a little more range though, and I have the inseam of a midget.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    FWIW I've been seeing KS Levs and Reverbs on sale lately, and Universal Cycles has a 15% off orders over $300 coupon right now. I decided to beta test the new Fox post to replace my dying Giant Contact Switch and ordered it for $280 including remote with the coupon.
    Reverb has come out with a 3rd generation, updated model, so Reverbs will be on sale everywhere.

My eTens work just fine too. Great budget post.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Ditto.

FWIW, I haven't found a dropper to be the game changer that many of my friends claim, but I still think it's a very useful piece of equipment.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Do you ride with your seat just a little below your ideal pedaling height? I find that droppers enter "game changer" territory when I use them to run my seat up at full pedaling height. Seems to gain me 1/2" or so in the up position, and then the drop matters.

Agreed, not having to compromise on seat height has been the biggest benefit for me. Another vote for eTen, works fine, but I haven't ridden anything else so can't compare.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Budget dropper posts

Anyone know if GD has any internally routed posts in the works? I really like the simplicity of them and would have no issues having fixed drop positions.
    Last edited by D(C); 06-17-2016 at 12:04 AM.

I have 3 Reverbs and one just stopped working the other day. I'm looking at the eTen because it costs less than a Reverb rebuild. How long have you had it? Is maintaining it simply just replacing the cable and housing?

Sor for $125 maybe the eTen is worth trying.

Somehow putting a $350 dropper on a bike that is worth around $1000 just doesn't seem right!

Budget dropper posts

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I have 3 Reverbs and one just stopped working the other day. I'm looking at the eTen because it costs less than a Reverb rebuild. How long have you had it? Is maintaining it simply just replacing the cable and housing?
    Yeah for the most part. A little bit of triflow and a good cleaning after super muddy rides too. If I rode mud often, I'd avoid the eTen though. Too susceptable and having to do it after most rides would suck. All other KS posts that use a similar lever/actuator mechanism have the same issue. They create a mud boot that may resolve it, but I haven't bought one because its rarely horribly muddy here (only when caught out in a thunderstorm in the wrong kind of dirt).

I've had mine for 2 years now with no other maintenance? Local shop does a rebuild for $60 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Sor for $125 maybe the eTen is worth trying.

Somehow putting a $350 dropper on a bike that is worth around $1000 just doesn't seem right!
    Make sure to spring for the "remote" version. Having the lever on the seat post is a waste.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I've had mine for 2 years now with no other maintenance? Local shop does a rebuild for $60 I think.
    Which shop? I need to get one done as mine is finally having issues.

I've got a few rides in with my KS eTen and I really like it. It was less than $125 after a discount and works nice and smooth. This is my first dropper, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I was able to zip tie it so that the outboard cable remains tight to the frame of my Tallboy and doesn't get in the way. I actually appreciate it more on the climbs as it allows me to have the post all the way up where it should be to let me get a full pedal stroke. I don't mind the weight penalty over my old post as a result. Honestly, for the down I only need 50mm or so of drop so the 100mm is more than enough. The remote lever seems likely to break and it's not great ergonomically, but it does the job for now.

Add me to the "dropper posts rock" club.
    How's the new Fox post working out?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I've got a few rides in with my KS eTen and I really like it. It was less than $125 after a discount and works nice and smooth. This is my first dropper, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I was able to zip tie it so that the outboard cable remains tight to the frame of my Tallboy and doesn't get in the way. I actually appreciate it more on the climbs as it allows me to have the post all the way up where it should be to let me get a full pedal stroke. I don't mind the weight penalty over my old post as a result. Honestly, for the down I only need 50mm or so of drop so the 100mm is more than enough. The remote lever seems likely to break and it's not great ergonomically, but it does the job for now.
    same experience with two rides on the Gravity Dropper that rludes sold me at a great price. He had the Thomson lever for it, so i sprang for that too. It's got great ergonomics and appears strong. It may not have quite the same distance of cable pull as the GD factory model. Or, i just got a little cable stretch after the first use. Regardless, it was an easy fix.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    How's the new Fox post working out?
    So far, awesome. I think I have somewhere around 120-150mi of riding on it? Only thing I've done since install is clean it and one time turned the barrel adjuster like 2 turns. Function is smooth, lever action easy, nice clunk at top and bottom out to tell you where you're at.

I don't have a ton of time on any post, but I've ridden a bit on a Thompson and overall the Fox functions the same or better, is way cheaper, and the cable routing (for the external version) is better. And it's a big improvement over the Giant in every way.

So far, awesome. I think I have somewhere around 120-150mi of riding on it? Only thing I've done since install is clean it and one time turned the barrel adjuster like 2 turns. Function is smooth, lever action easy, nice clunk at top and bottom out to tell you where you're at.

I don't have a ton of time on any post, but I've ridden a bit on a Thompson and overall the Fox functions the same or better, is way cheaper, and the cable routing (for the external version) is better. And it's a big improvement over the Giant in every way.
    Sounds good, ordered one from LBS. Should be here soon