Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Just throwing this out there for consideration:
    Safe+friendly+foreign+gorgeous=Tofino

I think they're used to beginners and happy for surf tourism. A big adventure in a wild place in a civilized country with decent healthcare. Good for surfing, good for peace of mind, a good entry-level international surf trip for an 18 y.o.

I learned to surf on the beach break by Witchs Rock in Tamarindo. I didn't stay at a surf camp, but went out ten days straight for a couple of hours a day.

That place was awesome. Waist to head high waves that just kept coming. Never any big lulls in the action, and the water was warm enough to hang out in all day without a wetsuit. IMO it was a great place to learn. Even without any lessons I was getting up on pretty much every wave and turning down the line at the end of the week. Tamarindo is also a pretty American friendly place, and easy to get to.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    A few more things in no order

a. does he want to learn to surf or go on a tropical vacation?

b. learning to surf does not equal traveling to world class surf destinations

c. how is his ocean awareness/ocean swimming? having grown up on the ocean and then watching land lubber learn to surf was eye opening. you gots to learn how to feel comfortable in the ocean before learning to surf.

d. after surfing a bunch growing up, i'm pretty much back to jong status. when i spend my own money to go surf, I go to Cali or MX. Maybe not the most sexy vacation but you will be able to find good easy waves.
    a. both I think. after reading through this thread and looking at some of the surf camp links, I think he realizes that the two are mutually exclusive in many of those spots.

c. strong swimmer, swim team yada yada. Like I said he's spent a couple of weeks every year at the beach, but certainly no local.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Why not Spain/Portugal? Safe, foreign, culture and surfing and relatively easy to get between the two. Not warm, but you have to make sacrifices.

+1 for Portugal, it's cheap, safe, the people are nice, and the surfing is solid.
    And they know how to party.

I'm not well versed on spain/portugal but it sounds like this trip will be for his summer break, will the northern hemi still be kicking up there in summer time?

Cowells beach in Santa Cruz (aka "can-of-screws") should meet the requirements for "culture", safety, cheap lodging availability and gentle waves.
    If he prefers the group thing have him check out club Ed surf school in SC. Have him remain at Cowells though because surfers are very territorial.
    If he is insistent on stamping his passport, have him call Richard Schmidt surf school, also based out of Santa Cruz but spends part of the year in Costa Rica. Google all of this.

Here's some on-topic reading:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...highlight=Peru

Now my conscience is clear.

So, just an update. He's trying to talk me into going with him, says it may be the last time that he and I can travel together for awhile. We're looking at the end of May which seems to be the rainy season but, oh well. I told him I'd like to surf but I'd also like to see some of the country for a bit.