Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Kirkwood's future = tidbits from the inside

Have a good line to the powers that be @ Kwood, here are a few tidbits I learned (SIAP)

PG&E will be adding power lines to Kwood along highway 88, gonna charge $.35 kw/hr (ouch but beats diesel!) - should see this by 2014/15

Palisades will be the next chair lift expansion, and possibly only one in the near future

After that, it's up to Vail to implement the master plan, which I hear is a few years away before they really look into its implementation

Enjoy the wood!

Means all the snowboarders will be able to hit the palisades. Bummer

sounds like they could be gearing up for a new master plan that includes the silver lake side. that's where all the money lies.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    sounds like they could be gearing up for a new master plan that includes the silver lake side. that's where all the money lies.
    That would be all time, home run, year-round shit from a business perspective.
    Lake front lifts make high dollar castle developments.
    Vail sticks to their core real estate developments beliefs?
    Is Silver Lake beach and inland property private?
    Or will that require an FS land swap?

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    That would be all time, home run, year-round shit from a business perspective.
    Lake front lifts make high dollar castle developments.
    Vail sticks to their core real estate developments beliefs?
    Is Silver Lake beach and inland property private?
    Or will that require an FS land swap?
    ^^^WHAT HE SAID.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Have they embraced Mountain Biking at the Weed yet?

Kit Carson lodge is right on the lake and their web site has the standard 'Operated under forest service permit'. Across the street, the Potholes campground is operated by El Dorado irrigation district. There are FS lease cabins dotting the shoreline.

Hugh Conway Guest
    there's zero chance in hell of silver lake anytime soon, people've been spewing for decades

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Have they embraced Mountain Biking at the Weed yet?
    Ha! Dude there are such great rides in that area. We were pioneering them 10-15 years ago. There are some great stories about some of the rides, entire hillsides of granite slabs, lake crossings, rattlesnakes and swimming holes. There's one 18 mile ride called gov't meadows that is insane and is probably forgotten by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Skool_Style View Post
    Palisades will be the next chair lift expansion, and possibly only one in the near future
    Enjoy the wood!
    No more 3:30 untracked pow lines...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	facepalm.jpg 
Views:	496 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	131817
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Ha! Dude there are such great rides in that area. We were pioneering them 10-15 years ago. There are some great stories about some of the rides, entire hillsides of granite slabs, lake crossings, rattlesnakes and swimming holes. There's one 18 mile ride called gov't meadows that is insane and is probably forgotten by now.
    Where have you seen those bastards at 7800 feet? I know about the one near lake Margaret. Any other hotspots that I should keep the pup away from- or at least on leash?

lake Margaret. I spent a lot of time there last year with my pup. Plan to climb some there this year. Do tell.

Quote Originally Posted by dblatto View Post
    No more 3:30 untracked pow lines...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	facepalm.jpg 
Views:	496 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	131817
    Fucking Pali chairlift. If Vail wanted to attract Snowboarders to outer Pali they could've just built a gay bar at the end of the high traverse.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    lake Margaret. I spent a lot of time there last year with my pup. Plan to climb some there this year. Do tell.
    http://www.laketahoenews.net/2009/09...r-caples-lake/

I heard Vail has a development grant from Amador County and is pursuing federal highspeed rail money. They're gonna build a high speed scenic monorail, with stops in Jackson, Silver Lake, and Kirkwood. Using the Caples Creek drainage means they avoid avalanche paths at Carson Spur. Alpine County votes next month on a possible extension to Sorensen's.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

would that be through the carson tunnel to sorensens?

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani View Post
    Fucking Pali chairlift. If Vail wanted to attract Snowboarders to outer Pali they could've just built a gay bar at the end of the high traverse.
    Looking for a new business venture Supu?
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I'm the most extreme skier in my office. I'll see your III and raise you one level of radness.

/bump

Just spreading the news!

I wish I could time warp back when I was a kid looking at that old model master plan and then embed a photo of it. Chairlifts going all over the place.

I know we've beaten the Silver Lake thing to death on here over the years, but holy hell that would be so badass to have Euro style tram going up and over to Kirkwood. One bonus is that if most of the lodging is at Silver Lake, you'd have the afternoon sun while soaking up a beer. Let say it could happen where would it go? Over to Sentinel Bowl (easy saddle there), and Thunderbowl is super raw but super aesthetic.

Maybe I should pull a Tom Chapman and start buying whatever property I can to force the US Govt to buy me out?

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post

Maybe I should pull a Tom Chapman and start buying whatever property I can to force the US Govt to buy me out?
    I'm sure an associate of Vail is doing this right now.

I think you should pull a Mark Chapman and kill one of the Beatles. That'll show those Vail fucks what's up.

Hugh Conway Guest
    but holy hell that would be so badass to have Euro style tram going up and over to Kirkwood.
    why? it's the same terrain just with even more people and the way they've developed rapes and pillages the valley without giving them the density of users necessary to support the services necessary. that's the tragedy of their development is they fucked the valley for the density of lodging necessary to actually support their bullshit village, while fucking up all of the charm of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    why? it's the same terrain just with even more people and the way they've developed rapes and pillages the valley without giving them the density of users necessary to support the services necessary. that's the tragedy of their development is they fucked the valley for the density of lodging necessary to actually support their bullshit village, while fucking up all of the charm of it.
    I should have clarified...

The Tram would go from Silver Lake...thus opening up all the steep rocky terrain down to the Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    I heard Vail has a development grant from Amador County and is pursuing federal highspeed rail money. They're gonna build a high speed scenic monorail, with stops in Jackson, Silver Lake, and Kirkwood. Using the Caples Creek drainage means they avoid avalanche paths at Carson Spur. Alpine County votes next month on a possible extension to Sorensen's.
    Did someone say MONORAIL!?!?
    Live Free or Die

Hugh Conway Guest
    I should have clarified...

The Tram would go from Silver Lake...thus opening up all the steep rocky terrain down to the Lake.
    It's still the same terrain