Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    This is just WRONG. Everyone knows it's red.
    Don't laugh--Skiing Magazine gear review said the downside of Rossi Radical Pros was that they were boring black.

How stiff is too stiff?

I'm an avid snowboarder(female) and am buying my first ski setup. Lost on what flex to get. I'm an aggressive snowboarder and run stiff boots. I'm optimistically thinking I'll progress pretty quickly on skis so I don't want to go too soft. I'm about 130lbs but have strong legs, debating between the Atomic Hawx Prime 95s and 105s. Anyone got any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by m9443a View Post
    I'm an avid snowboarder(female) and am buying my first ski setup. Lost on what flex to get. I'm an aggressive snowboarder and run stiff boots. I'm optimistically thinking I'll progress pretty quickly on skis so I don't want to go too soft. I'm about 130lbs but have strong legs, debating between the Atomic Hawx Prime 95s and 105s. Anyone got any advice?
    Have you skied at all before? If you're really starting from zero, even with a snowboarding background, I'd still probably borrow/rent boots softer than the 105's. That said, you probably could go with the 95's and deal with them and be happy for a few years at least (also, I thought they ran 110/100/90, not 105/95).

If you could borrow some more intermediate skier boots for part of a season then maybe you could get your own 110ish boots and be set.
    [quote][//quote]

Fuck. Can’t tell you shit with out some pics of said girl friend. Other wise pick the red ones.

but in all seriousness my other half is in a Frankenstein roxa 80 cuff and a roxa 105 clog for the pin toes and loves it. Easy to get into, easy to take off, (that’s the most important, )

Biggest learning curve for a new boarder is re-learning your edges on the sides of your foot rather than your toes and heels. IMO get the boot that's the correct width and holds your heel down, then make sure the forward lean is enough to actually begin flexing the boot, then think about flex. as long as you're not going 120+ you'll probably be aiight, but make sure you address the first two things first.

You need some specifics on your foot shape to get a better sense of direction on here otherwise. There are threads here outlining how to use some of the apps to help yourself out in getting a specific foot measurement.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

My wife is in 130 flex race boots and loves them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Nekkid pics.

Too stiff of boots may hold you back initially but sounds like you’re going to put in the time if you are buying ski equipment
    so maybe look at boots where you can switch out tongues for stiffer ones once you progress. I use Full Tilt boots (now K2) which have this feature.
    Also above someone mentioned getting in and out of ski boots after being in snowboard boots and the Full Tilts and other 3 buckle boots are good in the ease/ comfort of getting them on and off
    skid luxury

My dad has a friend who fits your description and was asking me this same question recently.

The earlier advice to listen to the shop is spot on. As is baby bear's advice to look at swappable tongues.

In general, you want a boot that you can at least flex into on the carpet. I think flexing a boot is a combination of strength and technique though, so don't be too put off if you struggle a little at first.

I also think that when a boot doesn't fit well in the heel/ankle/instep area, you can't generate the power to flex it. Your foot moves in the shell before the cuff flexes. For example, I've had trouble flexing some touring boots that objectively aren't super stiff, but no issues flexing race boots that are considered very stiff. (It can also be difficult to carpet-flex a boot with a highly rockered sole, as is common on light touring boots, but that's a different topic.)
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Boots can be softened but not stiffened (except as babybear describes). Flex doesn't depend only on skier weight and speed. It also depends on length of your leg from knee to foot and on how flexible your ankle is. You can't flex a boot any farther than your ankle will flex.
    Maybe you can get a rec for a shop or a fitter from a woman prfessional skier (patrol, instructor) or racer. Not a lot of women fitters around but maybe one wherever it is you are.
    My DIL is not big but an ex mtb racer with big calves and ankles. She's an intermediate and happy in a 120 Atomic Hawk of some kind.

Good advice from Darth on making sure there's good heel hold. Definitely buy from a good shop unless you have no access to one. A decent shop will do free adjustments for a year, sometimes longer. If you can't get a rec like I said, use your BS meter to tell you if a male fitter takes women skiers seriously or you'll wind up with something very warm and comfortable that you can't ski with. (Not that a properly fitting boot can't be comfortable, but usually not right out of the box.)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Not a lot of women fitters around but maybe one wherever it is you are.
    If you're in New England, call up Boot Pro in Ludlow and ask for Hannah. For the guys, Hannah is a smokeshow redhead. She's also and excellent bootfitter who had no trouble fixing some issues with my Scarpa F1s.

Can someone not recommending stiff boots in this thread tell me why boot flex is better than making sure the binding/boot are aligned right and we can adjust forward pressure using our knees,hips and spines?

I have some 130 Panterra and some 130 Mach 1 MV , they are aligned exactly like my highly modiefied Kr2 pros(double plug in back and carbon slats epoxy in the side) and my DRS 170s and they wear me the fuck out skiing them. I am convinced being able flex your ankles is a scam at this point and just band aid to fix poor equipment alignment.

Someone objectively prove me wrong with out resort ing ad hoc, or strawman or acedontal account of Cody townsend talking about how people are over boot with out him stating any objectivity why a stiff boot aligned correctly is an issue.

For reference I have no issue skiing in a boot I literally can not flex.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZczsKuAspG/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZuyRoMrcaO/

Please post video of you skiing in soft boot so I have reference to your skill level.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    This.

Stiffer boots will offer more support when getting thrown around; they'll help keep you in the right position instead of folding over on you. That said, they need to be soft enough so that they can be flexed into turns. How much force the skier can put into the boot is a factor of weight and speed/aggressiveness.

Keep in mind that boots always feel softer when the plastic is warm (in the store).
    why do boot need to be flexxed into turn objectively?

Would nt any boot flex just slow input from the skiers leg/foot to the skis?

BTW I agree with the stiff boots comment and if you read above I find 130 recreationally boots are total chore to ski on, unless on smooth groomers.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    eh its pointless.

A bunch of people will just post subjective non sense and repeat the same shit about boot flex and ankles needing to flex, wont post video of their skiing. Basically the bad advice keep getting thrown around for ever because no one want to shim their binding or ramp their boots to get proper alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    “objectively”

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    eh its pointless.

A bunch of people will just post subjective non sense and repeat the same shit about boot flex and ankles needing to flex, wont post video of their skiing. Basically the bad advice keep getting thrown around for ever because no one want to shim their binding or ramp their boots to get proper alignment.
    Could you post a video of your skiing, so we know what to look for and what are some good camera angles for video-ing our skiing? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

^^^ https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ighlight=Strap

Back seat on the 900* run of death

why do boot need to be flexxed into turn objectively?

Would nt any boot flex just slow input from the skiers leg/foot to the skis?

BTW I agree with the stiff boots comment and if you read above I find 130 recreationally boots are total chore to ski on, unless on smooth groomers.
    You want us to post ski videos to qualify our opinions on why you labor to ski a 130 boot?

Go demo/rent a pair of 110 boots and report back your findings. We expect a full report on our desk first thing Monday morning. Include video please

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post

\you dont know what an ad hominem attack is do you?

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    You want us to post ski videos to qualify our opinions on why you labor to ski a 130 boot?

Go demo/rent a pair of 110 boots and report back your findings. We expect a full report on our desk first thing Monday morning. Include video please
    No its more about you guys think ankles need to flex.

[QUOTE=TBS;6731908]^^^ https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ighlight=Strap

What makes it backseat?

You really do not understand how a skier would have to move.

The open bet still stands and I can pay up. If I am hack its easy money.

\you dont know what an AD hoc attack is do you?
    Obviously you do not
    ad hoc
    /ˌad ˈhäk/
    adverb
    when necessary or needed.
    "the group was constituted ad hoc"
    adjective
    created or done for a particular purpose as necessary.

Ad Hominem is when I say you are the dumbest mutherfucker in The USA and the absolute shittiest dolphin turner on TGR

learn the difference pendejo

AND, my racer kids are still waiting to for the free travel you promised to ski your run of death

That was one of the strongest opinions on pole straps I've read/listened too. Bizarre.

Obviously you do not
    ad hoc
    /ˌad ˈhäk/
    adverb
    when necessary or needed.
    "the group was constituted ad hoc"
    adjective
    created or done for a particular purpose as necessary.

Ad Hominem is when I say you are the dumbest mutherfucker in The USA and the absolute shittiest dolphin turner on TGR

learn the difference pendejo

AND, my racer kids are still waiting to for the free travel you promised to ski your run of death
    The offer was free travel if they could ski it with out falling, again the risk is on those people who ever they are if the decide to do it.

You'll angry because deep down you all know if my challenge was easy, someone would have pocketed the 1k and travel.