10 Reasons Why Surfing Sucks

Original Article and credit Here:
    http://surferspath.mpora.com/feature...ree-tsp94.html
    Credit to Alex Dick-Read

1. It turns you into a moron, only interested in one thing. Think about it. Anyone who’s interested in one thing only is BORING! This is a universal truth, therefore you are in danger of being really fucking boring.

2. It makes you selfish. Yes, whether you admit it or not – your obsession with surfing comes first. You’ll miss work, play and quality time with friends; time you could spend helping people who need help; time you could spend making yourself a better person. You will leave wonderful girlfriends/boyfriends because they ‘just don’t get it’; you will cause pain and anger to your parents or spouse; you will miss key moments in your childrens’ upbringing and important moments in the last years of your parents’ lives. This stuff is irreplaceable, but it’s ok, you got barreled again, dude.

3. You will start using words like ‘dude’, ‘sucks’, ‘going off’, ‘sick’, ‘mate’ and a host of other perversions of the English language, no matter where you’re from. Balinese, Russian, Australian, French, Cornish – everyone succumbs eventually/occasionally and we all sound like twats. That’s because the original perversions mostly came from California and Australia and twats in those countries don’t know they sound like twats. We just absorb the twat-shit that these people have spread through their economic and psychological control of the sub culture. To any sane human being, we sound like twats and that’s that.

4. We get arrogant because we think surviving a big drop or making a tube or riding Uluwatu or our home break or any fucking thing to with surfing makes us somehow better human beings than other human beings. It doesn’t. We are as good human beings as we are good human beings, regardless if we surf or not. Male surfers buy into the myth that they’re cool because chicks – who are as simple and dirty as guys underneath all the pretence – find surfers’ body-shapes and tans horny – in much the same way men find strippers automatically horny. (‘Wow! They’ve got tits!’) Doesn’t make male surfers great people. Female surfers think they’re great because so few women surf that they get off on being a step above fellow members of their gender. In many subtle and truly shallow ways, being a surfer makes us think we’re fantastic. And we’re not. Unless of course we are – but that’s an entirely different story.

5. Surfing is dangerous. Skin cancer, surfers’ ear, staph infections, spinal injuries, shoulder and lower back wear, red eyes/pterygiums, shark attack, pollution exposure, damaged hair and water on the brain that makes you stupid.

6. You will waste time and you will waste fuel. Both time and fuel are money, so you will waste money, too. You will stare at computer screens for hours when you’re not surfing, wishing you were surfing, looking for a hit in some sad vicarious form, planning your next surfing excursion and dreaming of ones you can’t afford. Later you will drive around looking for waves and checking spots just around the corner or, fuck it, 500 miles drive away just because you’re a radical dude and you want to impress your friends with how hardcore you are. If there’s no rideable surf there, or if it isn’t as good as the surf you just left, you’ll happily drive back and surf that. You waste hours of time, gallons of fuel and therefore uncountable amounts of money. And did we mention – you add carbon dioxide into the atmosphere that probably wouldn’t be there if you weren’t a surfer?

7. Your whole ‘close to nature’ vibe is only a skin you wear when it suits you, unless you really are someone that cares about nature and maybe even does something about protecting it. You don’t automatically qualify as one of those people just because you’re a surfer.

8. You are a colonialist. Might as well buy a pith helmet right now. You’ll fly to foreign shores and not, probably, give a damn about understanding, integrating or having any awareness whatsoever about the impact your presence has on the destination community/culture. Not your problem, mate. You’re just there to surf.

9. Surfing will start to make you think idiots are heroes. People who take huge amounts of drugs, drink like lunatics and drive rental cars like assholes suddenly become worthy of your respect because they’re often the same people who take off late on huge waves and pull into giant tubes and get spat out. Watch out for this. They could still be assholes.

10. It’s a beautiful thing, but you need to be careful to retain your sense of right and wrong, good and bad, time and place etc. Surf culture is fuelled by commercial interests that know no depths. In their search for sales, they will say anything and sponsor anyone to promote their products. Just because you love the sensation of riding breaking waves, don’t let these things turn you into a twat.
    Skiing made me Board

Wait.. are you from coastal NH?

S. Maine maybe?

Will you sue me?

That'd be sweet..

Jackass.

Obviously you're not a golfer
    Skiing made me Board

:

rog

Rog - will you post this fucking idiots address already so we can.............
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Change surfing to skiing/snowboarding and its still pretty accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgnar View Post
    Change surfing to skiing/snowboarding and its still pretty accurate.
    disagree.

surfing has way more douchebags because everyone is charging for one small piece of real estate and they get all uptight. skiing/snowboarding a mountain is one big frozen wave with a lot of options to avoid people.

i know rog will be all blah blah blah...but the reality is you have to be extremely flexible to pull off hitting the surf when it's good and quiet. not nearly as easy as the mtns.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    surfing has way more douchebags because everyone is charging for one small piece of real estate and they get all uptight. skiing/snowboarding a mountain is one big frozen wave with a lot of options to avoid people.
    a powder day at a "big" mountain is the same douchebag scene as surfing. seen people come close to blows (see reports here for people who have come to blows), body checking, all the same shit people associate with surfing. there's even the same "don't share our stash" vibe now. Oh well. Reality is it only takes a couple dickheads to change the vibe for everyone - and the "better" the surfer or skiier the more likely they are to be a dickhead in the lineup or on the mountain ime

#8 is dead fucking on.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    disagree.

i know rog will be all blah blah blah...but the reality is you have to be extremely flexible to pull off hitting the surf when it's good and quiet. not nearly as easy as the mtns.
    depends on where you chose to recreate, then timing doesn't really matter so long as the snow is untracked or surf good.

agree about the flexibility to hit the surf good vs the mountains. surf opportunities often come in short windows with the winds/tide/swell being so fickle/critical. that's why i live a mile from the surf and 2 hours from george. maine is a whole lot different than nh as far as crowds go, strawjack. there are none. had the ogt rivermouth by myself (again) yesterday morning. the break is like the rye rocks of southern maine as far as hype/wave quality. i read the liquid dreams surf report when i got to work and it said, "waist high sets, clean, one guy out this morning." me

tough to compare a pow day with a surf day. once pow is tracked up it's gone, poof. waves just keep rolling in. every wave is an untracked pow run.

ugh i can't wait for morning, these winds better chillax by then........

rog

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    a powder day at a "big" mountain is the same douchebag scene as surfing. seen people come close to blows (see reports here for people who have come to blows), body checking, all the same shit people associate with surfing. there's even the same "don't share our stash" vibe now. Oh well. Reality is it only takes a couple dickheads to change the vibe for everyone - and the "better" the surfer or skiier the more likely they are to be a dickhead in the lineup or on the mountain ime

#8 is dead fucking on.
    yes, there are or have been issues in the lift lines, but once up on the hill it doesn't really happen...from my personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    depends on where you chose to recreate, then timing doesn't really matter so long as the snow is untracked or surf good.

agree about the flexibility to hit the surf good vs the mountains. surf opportunities often come in short windows with the winds/tide/swell being so fickle/critical. that's why i live a mile from the surf and 2 hours from george. maine is a whole lot different than nh as far as crowds go, strawjack. there are none. had the ogt rivermouth by myself (again) yesterday morning. the break is like the rye rocks of southern maine as far as hype/wave quality. i read the liquid dreams surf report when i got to work and it said, "waist high sets, clean, one guy out this morning." me

tough to compare a pow day with a surf day. once pow is tracked up it's gone, poof. waves just keep rolling in. every wave is an untracked pow run.

ugh i can't wait for morning, these winds better chillax by then........

rog
    the waves do keep rollin' in, yes. the powdah is there too, you just need to find it!

it's all good. douchebags are douchebags wherever they are

wow....should I stop surfing. hehe no

all I can say is....

I surfed allllll my life. Always heard snowboarding was rad, but just said "whatever".

Then I moved to Colorado for a year.

I don't even look at the ocean anymore.

Backcountry snowboarding has the best waves, AND vibes... that you'll never find out surfing.

Quote Originally Posted by snowmin8er View Post
    all I can say is....

Isn't that fairly obvious?

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    Isn't that fairly obvious?
    Maybe he's got really good eyesight.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

"for a year"

guess surfers can't read

oh yeah and I also mentioned something about the vibes...

thanks for the good ones, DBAGS

have a good one!

Shaka, brah.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

Localism=douchebags

Quote Originally Posted by snowmin8er View Post
    all I can say is....

I surfed allllll my life. Always heard snowboarding was rad, but just said "whatever".

Backcountry snowboarding has the best waves, AND vibes... that you'll never find out surfing.
    Same story, not as painful for me because I left Florida...the swell patterns the past 10 years have gone to shit there...sand dredging/beach renourishment killed a lot of spots as well. Unless you are longboarding you're sitting on your ass in the air conditioning doing nothing. One big constant let down when there are waves now, 85% choppy garbage.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using TGR Forums

After living in San Clemente for 20 years, surfing lost its soul. Surfing has become so mainstream that everybody within 200 miles of a beach wants to try to surf. Thats great, its an amazing experience, especially when its foreign. The first time really riding a wave is life changing. I met a kid that had served in the Jewish army and after getting out, took off to travel. I met him in Prague and the way he described his first experience of floating on the water made it sound magical. However as a 20 year surfer, the experience over time does make you selfish and aggressive and territorial. In the end it brought out the worst in me. Not to mention the lifeless culture of Orange County. So I left. In Bend I ride Mt. Bachelor, and getting to ride powder as many days as I do a year has been the best experience of my life. And I have to say there is no dick vibe on the mountain. The stoke is shared simultaneously with friends as we cross tracks down untracked powder and at the lift everybody is smiling. There's no ownership or aggressive behavior towards others. skiers, and boarders all have the same desire to ride and are happy to share. the only bitches are the old dudes who were here "before it turned into a circus". No waiting for sets, no paddle battles, no aggressive positioning or getting cut off. Surfing is amazing when you can get unlimited waves, but I think I'll stick with Bend for a while. Plus Oregon coast has some seriously epic and empty waves. Ask Gerry Lopez, he'll tell you. Cheers

the jewish army?

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    the jewish army?
    Pardon me, the mandatory Israeli defense forces. Nice to see you got my point.