Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Jason Isbell/DBT/Americana fans

Pick up Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit's "Live from Alabama." It does not suck.

Tracklist :

01. Tour of Duty
    02. Decoration Day
    03. Goddamn Lonely Love
    04. Heart on a String
    05. Danko / Manuel
    06. In A Razor Town
    07. Alabama Pines
    08. Outfit
    09. Cigarettes and Wine
    10. TVA
    11. The Blue
    12. Dress Blues
    13. Like A Hurricane

good to know, thanks!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Listening to it. I'm a fan.

Thanks!

I think Jason Isbell made a great decision to move on from DBT. They never really resonated that much with me. Kind of like the Jayhawks or Wilco, they just tried too hard and couldn't get it down. But his solo stuff is just outstanding, and some of it -- Cigarettes and Wine; Dress Blues -- is just transcendent. Thanks for the heads up, as I didn't realize this live album was even out there.
    You have to let other people be right. It consoles them for not being anything else. -- Andre Gide

Quote Originally Posted by lingcod View Post
    I think Jason Isbell made a great decision to move on from DBT. They never really resonated that much with me. Kind of like the Jayhawks or Wilco, they just tried too hard and couldn't get it down. But his solo stuff is just outstanding, and some of it -- Cigarettes and Wine; Dress Blues -- is just transcendent. Thanks for the heads up, as I didn't realize this live album was even out there.
    yeah whatever, that's what is great about the breadth of music that's out there...cuz i thought the Truckers were way mo bigger than the Jayhawks, but won't put em over wilco/tupelo etc. But so much rockier. Jason brought a bunch of baggage along with incredible songwriting and guitar talent. He's great, but there's nothin like the Southern Rock Opera...
    imho
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mikecooley.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	133201
    I personally like Cooleys songwriting better, they both bring/brought different song styles/feel to the truckers and really like both of their work, but hot dam Zip City, Pulaski, and Ghost to Most blow me away every time I hear those songs.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

cooley's got an album? Where the fuck have i been?

Under a rock. Its on Spotify, lots of truckers songs, its just a live album of his solo shows. It's amazing.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by lingcod View Post
    When he was in the band they made two of the best albums of the last ten years I think. Decoration day and The Dirty south both feature some all time great songs, featuring all 3gents particular brand of songwriting. They put on some brilliant shows round then too.

I saw an in store session with them in 04 at a record store in SLC that no longer exists. Small room just four of them on stage. Don't remember the order but remember Patterson doing "Sands of Iwa Jima". Cooley doing "Carl Perkins Cadillac" and Isbell a haunting "Danko"
    I mean they all played the songs together but each was the lead on what was their song. First time I realizes what a 3 headed monster they were songwriting wise. Up til that moment I had always assumed it was Patterson's band. Didn't even realize Isbell wasn't on Rock Opera or Alabama Asswhuppin till later.

They tore the fucking roof off of Suede later that night in Park City.
    Seen them and him a lot since. He just keeps getting better, them not so much. He has a new LP coming out I need to pick up.

Good article today on Isbell http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/02/ma...w-nytimes&_r=0

edit stream new album
    http://www.mtvhive.com/2013/06/03/ja...l-southeastern
    Last edited by Woodsy; 06-03-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Thoughts on the newer Isbell stuff? I can't really get into it. No knock on him, songs are quality, just not my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Thoughts on the newer Isbell stuff? I can't really get into it. No knock on him, songs are quality, just not my cup of tea.
    I have only heard the samples from his website - https://www.jasonisbell.com/

The new album drops next week, so I'll wait to hear more before making up my mind.

Not a huge fan of what I have heard of the new Isbell, aside from "Only Children" which I love. I still have Nashville sound on repeat in the car.

Newest DBT is good too, but not as good as the brilliant "American Band"

Dreamsicle has been on heavy rotation for me the last few weeks.

Love Jason Isbell, but I was never a fan of DownBoundTrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Gonna be hard to top that one. I saw them about a week before it came out and they played a significant portion of it (before I had heard any of the songs). Absolutely blew me away.

I'm a big fan and have been for a while. DBT too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    I love TBT. I agree 100% with this. AB is a great record. "The Unraveling" feels like they knew that and tried to do it again.

I like Jason and I think he's a great songwriter, but I don't find myself clicking on him as much as I used to. I'll give the new one a listen.

Watched it live. Good stuff, and Amanda's kind of a dish.....

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post

Just listened to Reunions. Good end of the day wind down play.

dookey posted this up in the Prine RIP thread but I like what they did here even if really only symbolic
    https://pitchfork.com/news/jason-isb...ohn-prine/amp/

Still like damn near everything Isbell has ever done

Jason and Amanda sent their CMA cards back in protest of Prime and others not being acknowledged at this years awards.

Jason said if GA went blue, he was going to do an album of GA themed covers for charity.
    This is the good stuff we need more of in this world.

The right thread the right time.

Hayes Carll? He has been around quite a while but I just picked up on him last year.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"