Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Lol, these guys are triggered

(Long read)

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/f...-george-jones/
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

So good last night.... I think the room (Showbox) kinda sounds like shit, and they play fucking loud so lyrics were pretty muddled, but I can hear those on the records. They always sound a tiny bit out of tune to me, and for some reason it's perfect which I've never said about any other band. My first DBT show, and really fucking great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4079.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	816.8 KB 
ID:	406810  
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Nice! Excited for SLC on Thursday. The one thing that I love about DBT is they seem more like a Punk band that drunkenly stumbled into a honkytonk and smoked some weed with some soul artists in the back room and boom. The slightly out of tune and muddled lyrics make their rock show. Its the same when I see Lucero, I'm half expecting a mosh pit to break out.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

^^^ that's a great description. Perfect. I'm still rocking. The set was LOOONGGG too!

We have to wait until the end of April for DBT to come to town. It can’t come soon enough.

2hrs plus here in SLC tonight. I think it was better than the red butte show a few years back, and definitely better than getting rained out at RB this summer. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1651.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	407317

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

nice. sure was fun to finally see them.

What a great couple of nights. I had Isbell tix for Bellingham last night, and through serendipity ended up going to the Seattle show too. Great band, and a really pretty show visually.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4157.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1,022.0 KB 
ID:	408245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4141.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1,019.7 KB 
ID:	408246  

Planet Bluegrass just announced Turnpike Troubadours are co-headlining Sunday of the Telluride Bluegrass Festival. In a strange twist of events I already had tickets for Sunday as it was the only day I could get tickets for. I'm pretty stoked, a little redemption after getting shut out for Red Rocks.

I wish I could get tickets for Friday, I'd live to see Tyler Childers the same week.

hot damn. Guess i need to find full weekend tickets.

Anyone else going to JI and the 400 Unit this Tuesday in SLC?
    I would love to meet up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220308_194131_01.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	408749

Waiting..

Warning: gushing praise ahead.

I don’t even know where to begin with my impressions of this show. I have seen, I don’t know, (500? 700?) Live music events in about 45 years. This ranks among the top ten, if not top five. I have seen bigger shows, flashier shows, intimate shows, etc, but the sheer level of musicianship (of this type) of this group was just astounding. I was honestly so overcome with elation and emotion, it took the air out of me, and I had to remind myself to breathe.
    Part of this could be just seeing live music again, but honestly, before the pandemic, I was getting a little jaded, and hadn’t been ‘swept up’ in the music in a very long time. This was cathartic and joyous. My connection being another sober dude elevated this feeling.

It was also a parade of gorgeous guitars, I counted about 18 different ones, all put to great effect. Some of the rocking-est shit I have heard in years.

Shawn Colvin was fantastic as well, I was really hoping they would sing Vampires together, but no dice.

TL;DR:

GO FUCKING SEE THEM.

So psyched I have 6 tickets for Red Rocks in May.
    Peace out.

^^^ This. Did you notice the B-Bender guitar? It was the light blue Telecaster, put to very good use by Sadler. Isbell's guitar collection is legendary. I think his Les Paul is something like a '59.

A pal in SLC sent me a pic last night. I'm so stoked to have seen two nights in different venues. As I drove home after the second one I was trying to figure out how to go see another one.

Anyone else a Hornsby (maybe can be squeezed into the Americana genre....?) fan in here? His live shows are incredible. No set list, incredible musicians playing off each other, no two shows ever the same and I've seen a lot of them. They are truly a jam band and I'd argue their jams are more sophisticated than most.

His repertoire is so far away from his old hits these days, though he still whips a couple of them out live and makes comments about how he does it for the peeps who don't get what he REALLY is about now. LOL

He just announced west coast dates in very small venues, and I have tix for three cities as of this morning. Not sure I'll make them all, but it's worth a try and the reward miles have been piling up during covid....

REK last night in SLC on his retirement tour. He sounds like he's getting a bit road weary, but the show was great. Some awesome re-arrangements, stripped down versions of the classics.

I didn’t notice the B-bender, but I love them. I was really far away, I couldn’t see what anyone’s hands were doing. But Sandler Vaden’s guitar/slide technique is so subtle (in ways), I couldn’t tell. Wish I had been a little closer, but the sound was so exceptional in 2cnd tier center, I didn’t care.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/hea...teles-and-more

I can pick on a guitar a bit, but this show was quite…humbling.

Hands would not have given it away. The way to spot the B-bender is the player's repeated downward push on the neck when you hear the note bend. The front strap button is attached to the lever that activates the bending mechanism. I wouldn't have spotted it either but noticed him always pushing on the neck. They're tricky to master and he nails it.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Hands would not have given it away. The way to spot the B-bender is the player's repeated downward push on the neck when you hear the note bend. The front strap button is attached to the lever that activates the bending mechanism. I wouldn't have spotted it either but noticed him always pushing on the neck. They're tricky to master and he nails it.
    I learned something today, thanks man!!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

B-Bender's a pretty cool thing, give it a google. Invented by Gene Parsons, brother of Graham and a fine musician in his own right. I've always coveted one.

love Hornsby

I love what Marty Stewart does with one as well. (I almost bought one for $1200 a few years ago, kicking myself still)

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I love what Marty Stewart does with one as well. (I almost bought one for $1200 a few years ago, kicking myself still)
    You can buy the mechanism (there are knock-offs around these days I think), and have it installed in any telecaster (grab a cheap Squire off CL or something), or do it yourself if you're particularly handy with a router.

Quote Originally Posted by half-fast View Post
    love Hornsby
    You've had better access to his live shows in the last couple of years. Stoked to see him coming this far west finally. Think the last time I saw him was at least two (three+?) years ago at the Troubadour in LA, well pre-covid, maybe in San Francisco after that. Had tix to see him at a festival in CO last summer but he covid-cancelled and that was as far west as he has been for along time.

Think she fits in here.... Saw Sarah Jarosz last night at the Neptune. Stellar. Terrific singer and songwriter, tremendous guitar player and a first class band. o see her if she comes your way.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Think she fits in here.... Saw Sarah Jarosz last night at the Neptune. Stellar. Terrific singer and songwriter, tremendous guitar player and a first class band. o see her if she comes your way.
    Yeah, she is the shit.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague