Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Inevitable outcome when you mix family and business. I was not a fan of the Shires spotlight, it felt forced and didn’t suit Isbell’s writing.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    At least he'll finally have time to go out and chop wood?
    Hope she remembers to take her boots. A post I saw somewhere said he filed, not her. He sure seemed devoted to her. Another reminder we never know what's up in other people's marriages!
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Ima gapper View Post
    I’ve caught the truckers twice in the last year! They are putting on a hell of a show! I felt like my ears were bleeding they were so loud. Bring ear plugs if you’re a grumpy old man.
    American Aquarium opened the second show. They might be my new favorite Americana band.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Word, saw that bill with Old 97s too on my birthday last Fall.
    Xover turned me on to AA back in the mid aughts ands I was lucky enough to see them open up for Turnpike. Huge fan since, check out BJ Barnhams solo stuff too.

I don't know them as well as you guys so being somewhat objective, I didn't find her to be very pleasant in that documentary. She seemed a bit manipulative and maybe a little insecure? I like her voice but yeah, she seems to have an outsized role in that band which is obviously not short on talent.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

R,
    a few points in Amanda's defense and my thoughts on the divorce and why it is hard for me to hear.
    This is from not long after my man the OP started this thread in 2013, which is key

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    I saw an in store session with them in 04 at a record store in SLC that no longer exists. Small room just four of them on stage. Don't remember the order but remember Patterson doing "Sands of Iwa Jima". Cooley doing "Carl Perkins Cadillac" and Isbell a haunting "Danko"
    I mean they all played the songs together but each was the lead on what was their song. First time I realizes what a 3 headed monster they were songwriting wise. Up til that moment I had always assumed it was Patterson's band. Didn't even realize Isbell wasn't on Rock Opera or Alabama Asswhuppin till later.

They tore the fucking roof off of Suede later that night in Park City.
    Seen them and him a lot since. He just keeps getting better, them not so much. He has a new LP coming out I need to pick up.

Good article today on Isbell http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/02/ma...w-nytimes&_r=0

edit stream new album
    http://www.mtvhive.com/2013/06/03/ja...l-southeastern
    One thing I didnt mention aside from "the four of them on stage" is as it was a record store deal in Sugarhouse before the Truckers played a night gig in Park City they werent in a hurry to get anywhere so they hung around and went through the vinyl racks for a while and were friendly enough so I got to meet Jason and his then wife Shonna. Notice I didnt mention her doing any of her songs from the brilliant Dirty South album they were touring to support because there were none. She did a couple on later albums that werent my cup of tea. She was nice enough but thats about it. Her and Jason looked like any chubby white couple you would see at a Waffle House in rural Alabama.

Isbell left the truckers a few years later after about the time I left Utah for Manhattan and my now wife. He released a couple of good albums, one solo and then with the 400 Unit. He toured a lot. I got to see him a few times in NYC in the following years. He and I were both drinking a lot in those years.

I got my wife in a family way and moved to CT. Isbell sobered up with Amanda's help/insistence ( see article above and "Cover me up" documentary, etc.) and released a masterpiece of an album in Southeastern ( see above)
    Now If I was gonna sober up and start making records like Southeastern and Something more than Free, settle down and have a kid , I would choose Amanda Shiires . Helped clean him up, Smart, damn near Allison Krause levels of talent , played with the TX Playboys, toured with Gregg Allman, etc MFA from Sewanee and total smoke show. Like if you saw Jason and Amanda in the 2010s not knowing who they were you would think " how did that guy pull her?!?!!" They moved to Franklin, TN where I grew up in between NC and UT 3-7th grade, nice town. Had a girl, life seemed grande

Started getting a chance to see him, occasionally with her, in New Haven, Capitol Theater, Occasionally NY. Sometimes with my wife sometimes their Daughter Mercy would come out on stage, not much older than our son. they started doing annual runs at the Ryman, then Nashville Sound came out, she wins emerging artist awards, tours with John Prine, makes great music, and it seemed THEY were at the peak of their powers. I had that disc in my car non stop for almost all of 2017 ( old car, yes) wins a Grammy for them both, Then the Beacon Theater not long after Greg Allman died, they absolutely blow it out. I got a single 3rd row randomly and it may be a top 5 show. She does a Midnight Rider in her opening set, Jason on guitar, they do Whipping Post encore closing the 400 Unit show. Remember she toured with Greg and the Allmans did runs at the Beacon for years so it was emotionally charged.

SHe did her Highway woman thing which he played Guitar on, things seem good. Reunions was less her, seemed ok not great.

He plays bigger and bigger shows, she tours the world " Overseas" he becomes a movie star, gets his teeth fixed, becomes a GQ regular feature. Weathervanes is bad ass, another Grammy, tour has been great. Saw him and 400U at the Cap n the fall, it was sick. HIs show in OKC opening for Turnpike was good.

Interesting he filed, not her. Maybe its him being noble and "vanishing so she can go drowning in her dream again" Maybe she just didnt have time to be " Jason Isbells wife" anymore and he expected more. Hope its a good thing for all 3 of them.

Will say I liked inspirational singer songwriter Jason Isbell more than perfect teeth movie star, arena rocker Jason Isbell.

Saturdays show @ Radio City is going to be interesting....

One of my first thoughts was “Oh, shit, I am sure he is palling around with A list models now”, and that kind of attention is hard to deny. But if you go back and really listen, tons of the songs that have come out since she was in the picture also allude to marital issues, trust, leaving room for a split in the future, etc, etc.
    Some have even expressed that Weathervanes can be seen as a divorce album.
    I just hope he stays grounded. (And sober)I imagine that this last year has been huge for him, but indeed, a lot of his music is a bit of an acquired taste.

I know it would look a little treasonous, but I hope eventually he can sing those songs with other extremely talented women, whether they play fiddle or not.
    Word is that his voice is currently suffering a bit, I also hope he gets some rest. But he certainly is throwing his back into playing, and being ‘everywhere, all the time”.
    I assume this is a coping mechanism to pain.
    I can only assume an album regarding all of this will be forthcoming eventually.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Some have even expressed that Weathervanes can be seen as a divorce album.
    I just hope he stays grounded. (And sober)I
    Much of Weathervanes, especially "Middle of the Morning " def hits different now.

agreed, though it looks to me like he's mostly keeping it real in spite of fancy clothes... hope that's true. et us know hoe RCMH is. I was with a number of shows there in the 80's, which was pretty fucking cool.

R,

Will say I liked inspirational singer songwriter Jason Isbell more than perfect teeth movie star, arena rocker Jason Isbell.

Saturdays show @ Radio City is going to be interesting....

Radio City did not disappoint. Been lucky to see a number of shows there over the last 15 years and its one of my favourite venues. Actually its up there with Alta as favourite place on the planet.

Isbell brought it and he and Sadler were really playing off one another.

Happy Woodsy

I just picked up tickets to see Isbell in Montreal in mid-September. It's been too long.

Anyone interested in attending some Atlanta Tabernacle shows?
    I am thinking about swinging down for the 30th and 31’st.

DBT are touring and doing SRO in it's entirety. Seeing them at the Fillmore SF 6/28. Stoked!

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    DBT are touring and doing SRO in it's entirety. Seeing them at the Fillmore SF 6/28. Stoked!
    I'll be there also. I just secured a rental car cause there is no fucking way I am leaving my own car on the mean skreets of SF. Doing all of SRO is the logical thing because everyone wants it.

Regarding Jason...One of my favorite singer/songwriters. I stopped following him on Instagram because I just got tired of him posting selfies where he looks like a Gucci wearing lesbian. We are planning on getting tix for his show at Mountain Winery.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastside View Post
    I stopped following him on Instagram because I just got tired of him posting selfies where he looks like a Gucci wearing lesbian.
    He's been doing that a lot lately, innit? Like he's testing pics for his Tinder profile now that he's single. It is kinda weird.

I'm kinda sad that the days of being able to see him in smaller venues (at least on this coming swing through the PNW) seem to be gone. Not to mention his ticket prices have gone through the roof. Glad I got to see him in them tiny theaters.

Understand and Also cant handle the public persona anymore, but the music is still RAD.

I hear you on the venue size and ticket prices too ( artist you like gets popular routine,) but also lucky to have seen him in smaller theaters/ballrooms in UT, NYC & CT and saw him a few times at the Cap and this last time was a motherfucker

I talked about it a bit but have to share this as I don't take pics at shows and it really was the best show I have seen in years
    https://www.brooklynvegan.com/jason-...n-pics-review/

Driving guitars of when we were close into Cumberland Gap into anthem like Save the world was next level. 20 years of blowing my mind and Isbell won't stop.
    Seeing him in Radio city FKN Music Hall last month was also sublime.
    I love that place, like favourite place on the Planet next to Alta type love. Seen some amazing shows there since I moved to the area in 06 ( Willie & Merle w/ Ray Price & Asleep at the Wheel, Widespread Panic, Dolly, Mellencamp, to name a few) its big but not too big, great sound, well run ( they get you in and out well, big nice bathrooms, enough bars,& merch areas, in Midtown Manhattan so easy to get to from anywhere)

To see an artist you know well who just put out a kick ass Grammy Winning album play a venue like that was fantastic; although he was at his Rock/movie star, new teeth, fashionista peak.

So Cap. then OKC with Turnpike. then RCMH; considering new prices and venues (stadiums, no thanks) I may be done with live Isbell for a time if not ever.

That said, three of the four venues I am seeing them in this summer are relatively small.
    Mission Ballroom 3950
    Dillon Ampitheatre 3659
    Deer valley ~4000
    Red Rocks ~10k (outlier)
    Kettle House 4250

Not bad for summer shows, really.
    I figure he might chill on the tinder pics after he gets laid and dumped by a few models, who knows,

Wish I had your travel budget. Last couple times I saw him venues were even smaller. This one was a fave at 1500 seats followed by a nice hang after the show at the bus. https://mountbakertheatre.com/Online/default.asp

I'll go again eventually, maybe travel to hit the right venue. Done that a lot for Hornsby who, FBOW never plays big rooms and is one of the best live shows you'll ever see.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    That said, three of the four venues I am seeing them in this summer are relatively small.
    Mission Ballroom 3950
    Dillon Ampitheatre 3659
    Deer valley ~4000
    Red Rocks ~10k (outlier)
    Kettle House 4250

Not bad for summer shows, really.
    I figure he might chill on the tinder pics after he gets laid and dumped by a few models, who knows,

lol, I rationalize my Isbell show budget as ‘therapeutic self care’.
    So, medically necessary.

I almost hit two of the Atlanta shows, but it would have been excessive and expensive, so I am here in Philly and DC for the week instead.

I did see them last year at home in JH, 500 seat theatre.
    But honestly that show wasn’t totally fire, you could tell some kind of energy was off with the band, especially Jimbo.

Got tix for JI&400U at the Mountain Winery. I have never been there. it looks a proper bougie place. I expect to see women in knee high boots and big dumb hats.