Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dalbello KR 2 Pro vs. Fusion: Can you get away with the Fusion?

I'm 5'11", about 145 pounds, basically try to ski as fast as possible in all conditions, prefer steep ungroomed terrain. Definitely not the best skier and my technique is a bit lacking (although I'm still improving quite a bit), so I think I tend to rely on having a stiff boot.

I'm currently using 26.5 Dynafit Titans with Intuition Pro Tour liners and a stiff Booster Strap. They're falling apart, a bit too big, and too soft (particularly on warmer days), so I'm looking for a new boot now. I've read a lot of good things about the Krypton 2 Pro and it seems like there's a decent chance it will fit my foot, but I can't find a shop in Mammoth that carries the Pro. One shop has the Fusion, but I'm worried it will be too soft.

Does anyone here have experience with the Pro and the Fusion and can comment on how much softer the Fusion is?

Alternatively, has anyone skied both the Titan and one of the Krypton 2's? If so, are the Krypton 2's stiffer/do they not soften up so much in warm weather?

Or even better, anyone know where I can try the KR 2 Pro in Mammoth?

Go down and try on the Fusion. If it doesn't fit, your question is irrelevant. If it does fit, and you like the flex, they buy them. If it does fit, and you don't like the flex, then drive to a shop that has the Pro in stock.

But first, try on the darn boot.

Just buy the stiffer B tongue, stick it in the Fusion, and you have a Krypton Pro. Almost positive this is the case (I have the Krypton Cross from last year, the Fusion is it's replacement, and at that time the boots were definitely identical other than the softer tongue).

^^^ This. Owned the Cross, just bought the Fusion, same boot and last as the K2 Pro, just (slightly) softer tongue, boot board, and liner if you get the ID version (recommended). And it has sole inserts, comes with plastic, Vibram can be ordered. Which IMO makes it a better boot than the Pro. Suggest you try the existing tongue before you spring for the stiffer one.

Just make sure you get the ID liner version. And yes, they'll ski better than Titans.

Great, I knew I could get the stiffer tongue but didn't know how big a difference the liner density and boot board made

So where does the KR2 Core fit in all this? Looks like it has the removable soles, does it have the same shell fit as the KR2 Pro and Fusion?
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

^^^^ Same as Fusion but lower flex, 110 max I think, ID liner is entirely medium density. Would work well for lighter user.

I have the Fusion's and love them put the wings in the back as well and that stiffines it up. The difference is the pro comes with a different ID liner, two tounges (B & C) and two boot boards. I have to say the new lower boot on this makes these more accessible for more feet. And they ski great.
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

^^^^ They're seriously better than the previous lasts. Snugger, deeper heel, much more laterally responsive. Front's still not roomy, but nod in the direction of human foot shape.

The shop didn't have the kr2 in a 25.5, except for a women's ski (which should be the same last, right?), but oddly, the old krypton fit me way better. Has anyone heard of that happening?

And unfortunately, the only have the rampage which simply isnt stiff enough, so I think I'll need to order the pro online. Feels bad to not support the shop after they spent a bunch of time on me, but it's acceptable in this case, right?

^^^^ Having trouble making sense out of this. 1) A unisex boot last is not "designed" for a male or female ski. There are women with big feet and men with small feet. Neither the last nor the skis gives a shit. 2) If the old K Pro fit you "way better" (meaning, I guess, that you have very narrow forefeet with small toes and a beefy ankle) then why go order a new pair of K2's with an inferior fit? And 3) Yeah, it's OK to order elsewhere, although you could also just order through them, spend another 10% up front and save that 10% in fitting and tweaking costs. Since they won't charge you for a boot you bought through them, but will for a boot you bring in from elsewhere.

I could be wrong, but don't the chakra and the fusion fit differently? Maybe the clog is the same and the cuff is different?

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    oddly, the old krypton fit me way better. Has anyone heard of that happening?
    I have a very narrow foot with high instep. The KR2 has too much volume for me. I prefer my original kryptons.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy Spartan View Post
    I could be wrong, but don't the chakra and the fusion fit differently? Maybe the clog is the same and the cuff is different?
    The cuff on ladies boots is always lower, usually with a cutout at the back of the calf. It wouldn't surprise me if the lower boot is the same. Curious to hear more informed opinions.

My bad, typing on my phone, I meant a women's BOOT, not ski. And I have a very narrow heel, small heel and tiny calf, and fairly wide forefoot. Low instep. Who knows why it fit better, but I suppose I shouldn't complain about finding a boot that actually fits, nothing else in the store was close to working.

And I'd be getting the krypton pros online, not KR2 pros. I doubt those are still available for order, i can probably order a stiffer tongue, but that'll end up being ~$200 more expensive with the price of the rampage than just getting new pros.

so just some facts.

I have owned one pair of 26.5 Cross and 3 pairs of 26.5 Pros. The cross's lower plastic is not nearly as stiff as the Pro's even with the same 'plug" and tongues they just feel weak on hard snow and crappy snow.

I am 25.5 in the new boot, but again the fusion and Kr2 lowers ARE not the same flex. The Kr2 lower is a Scorpion 150 lower and is a plug lower meaning the plastic is literally thicker, which makes it stiff and easier to deal with for fitting issues.

the fusion also has vibram soles which make it hard to grind the bottoms for ramp or cant adjustment. Also the new Kr2 Pro can be 'plated" which means you can have a replaceable bottom even with vibram that is RAMPed and Canted right, where as the fusion would be impossible to have this done to the bottom.

The New KR2 in theory is a going to transfer more power laterally than the old Pro.

Randomly, the shop found one pair of next years kr2 pros that dalbello sent them by accident (they don't even carry the pros), and they were in my size, and they do fit a bit better than the old kryptons for me. They're extraordinarily tight on me (~5mm shell fit), so pretty painful right now, but they're so much more responsive than my old Titans or the krypton rampages I tried.

Does anyone know if there are any changes to the Pro for next year or did I just get the same boot with slightly different colors?

Randomly, the shop found one pair of next years kr2 pros that dalbello sent them by accident (they don't even carry the pros), and they were in my size, and they do fit a bit better than the old kryptons for me. They're extraordinarily tight on me (~5mm shell fit), so pretty painful right now, but they're so much more responsive than my old Titans or the krypton rampages I tried.

Does anyone know if there are any changes to the Pro for next year or did I just get the same boot with slightly different colors?
    there will be an "a" flex tongue that is stiffer than the current offerings.

Picture?

bumping this.

same predictament as skeeze. local shop has 40% off last years fusion. but i was hoping for pro's. i am a 26.5 if ya'll have some to swing....

can anyone confirm what bushwacker is claiming about the pro's lowers being stiffer and thicker? this will be my first cabrio boot- just wanted to try something different i guess. seems like my stance is much more upright these daze on the rens and cochise.

super tired of running factors as resort boots!
    one step forward, no step backward

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    there will be an "a" flex tongue that is stiffer than the current offerings.
    I missed this! Dang, that might have seriously changed some decisions...

Thanks for the detailed info, Bushwacker.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Do anyon know where A flex tongues can be ordered. Or if someon got second hand to sell?

I really need to stiffen up my Lupos for going in the gates now when the temp are geting warmer

I have been told the A tongues are not available to the general public (from discussions on here) but if you really want to find out- check out one of the shops that handle the Dalbello line and see if they can contact the company. Don't know if the company is like most and will only respond to dealers and never end users directly.

What size boots are you using Gunnar? If they are 26/26.5 shell, I can check to see if I have a set of the B stiffness tongues from the Fusion (marked as 120 flex with the standard C tongue).

Thanx for the offer Shea but I run 27 and only B tongues since I went from Krypton to Lupo only due to the need of rubber soles for patrolling. . .

I will also look in to the possibility to make wedges out of plastic or rubber to stiffen the flex in the gap in the back of the lower shell.
    It might even be possible to ad a rotating wedge as on the Panterras as a few of my co patrollers is using.
    Unfortunately they got no rocker soles as I prefer..

I will also contact our local dealer again and ask for A tongues.. And also if the is any chance lower-shell flex-adjustments on rocker sole boots ever will happen.
    I'm only 80kg and it amazes me if I'm the only one that would like to get higher then flex 130 when it gets warm or just for GS, in gates or not. .
    Last edited by bioicon; 04-22-2016 at 12:00 AM.