Page 4 of 226 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    OK. I grew up with a car-nut dad who was not wealthy but managed to have some neat rides, all of which I remember enjoying being a passenger in. $3000 is the number I remember him associating with all of these.

The earliest cool car I remember him having was a 1957 Ford T-Bird. Cream colored, removable hard top with portholes. He rigged up a pully system in the garage that would allow him to raise the hard top to the ceiling when he wanted to engage in open motoring. It looked exactly like this (feel free to embed these links if anyone has the time or gives a shit)
    http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/phot...oto.aspx#photo

He sold that for, as I recall, around $3000 and bought a 1962 MB 190 SL. Again, 2 hard tops and the pulley system designed for the T-bird came in handy. It looked like this except, again, cream in color.
    http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/phot...-SL_photo.aspx

Then he got this little jewel. It was a mechanical nightmare, but an incredibly cool car. I remember him driving me to the airport once in the rain, and my sole purpose in life was to hand-operate the wipers by reaching out my window and moving them with my hand. 1964 Ferrari ASA.
    http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/...line%204%20cyl

Then there was one of these, 1965 VW square back. This color...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kasho3/.../pool-type3vw/

Simultaneously and upon remarrying, he handed my stepmom the VW and got himself one of these, a 1962 MB 220 SE Coupe. I had never and still haven't ever seen another one that was a 4-on-the-floor. First gear was geared to climb vertical surfaces and thus was rarely used, probably extending the life of the tranny. I was in college when he sold it (for a Honda goddamit) and begged him to sell it to me (my slightly older car-nut cousin wanted it too, but no dice!), which he wouldn't on the premise that I'd never be able to maintain it. He might have been right, but I wish to god he'd have let me have it. It looked just like this. RIP dad. Love ya.
    http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car...5Bdealer%5D=17
    Last edited by oftpiste; 01-29-2013 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    OK. I grew up with a car-nut dad who was not wealthy but managed to have some neat rides, all of which I remember enjoying being a passenger in. $3000 is the number I remember him associating with all of these.

The earliest cool car I remember him having was a 1957 Ford T-Bird. Cream colored, removable hard top with portholes. He rigged up a pully system in the garage that would allow him to raise the hard top to the ceiling when he wanted to engage in open motoring. It looked exactly like this (feel free to embed these links if anyone has the time or gives a shit)
    http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/phot...oto.aspx#photo

He sold that for, as I recall, around $3000 and bought a 1962 MB 190 SL. Again, 2 hard tops and the pulley system designed for the T-bird came in handy. It looked like this except, again, cream in color.
    http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/phot...-SL_photo.aspx

Then he got this little jewel. It was a mechanical nightmare, but an incredibly cool car. I remember him driving me to the airport once in the rain, and my sole purpose in life was to hand-operate the wipers by reaching out my window and moving them with my hand. 1964 Ferrari ASA.
    http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/...line%204%20cyl

Then there was one of these, 1965 VW square back. This color...

Simultaneously and upon remarrying, he handed my stepmom the VW and got himself one of these, a 1962 MB 220 SE Coupe. I had never and still haven't ever seen another one that was a 4-on-the-floor. First gear was geared to climb vertical surfaces and thus was rarely used, probably extending the life of the tranny. I was in college when he sold it (for a Honda goddamit) and begged him to sell it to me (my slightly older car-nut cousin wanted it too, but no dice!), which he wouldn't on the premise that I'd never be able to maintain it. He might have been right, but I wish to god he'd have let me have it. It looked just like this. RIP dad. Love ya.
    Killer testament to some cool cars and to your pops.

thanks man. we need to get a drink or sumpin' soon. ping me if you have some time.

My dad and I joined the SCCA when I turned 16. I had my souped up Integra that was pretty legit for handling but by no means fast (I think you have to beat a Camaro z28 in a 1/4 mile to be considered fast at all), and he had one of these 1988 targa's, white with black rims. It was owned by one single man, with 150k miles on it, and only the driver seat had any wear at all. Thing ran like new. People talk about the difference between the 60's-early 90's mehcanical cars vs. computer cars... this 88 targa was fucking tits. ALLLL MACHINE. We loved railing on that thing on the street and the track. Thunderhill and Sears Point are the bomb. Lowered to Euro spec.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1988-Porsche-911_Carrera-86811341238565.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	131540
    He put a whale tail on it before he sold it. Kinda made me lose my stiffy for it. It was still a rad car, but I liked it traditional.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    An ASA? That's a fucking killer rare little Italian car.
    yup. $3000! he had all kinds of problems with it. very beautiful though. I think there were around 500 of them in this country in those days. I wonder where they are now?

thanks man. we need to get a drink or sumpin' soon. ping me if you have some time.

Yessir, sounds great. And I just picked up a new rig that you should take for a run. A total blast. I'll email you.

What this thread really needs is pics of a sweet S4 Avant. Those things are tits.

I wonder where we could find pics like that.

I'm kind of confused how we've gotten this far without this:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1967_shelby_cobra-pic-30251.jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	131548  

Not sure if this is a repost - but who cares?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

How about a little:

Ralph Lauren has a pretty sick collection. Anyone every been to one of those shows? Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLeagueBrian View Post
    Ralph Lauren has a pretty sick collection. Anyone every been to one of those shows? Ridiculous.
    And colorful!

Name:	CAT.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	131563

Need more space in my garage.

Goddamn that Stradale is pretty. An interesting tidbit:
    Built in an attempt by Alfa to make some of its racing technology available to the public, it was the most expensive automobile for sale to the public in 1968 at US$17,000[6] (when the average cost of a new car in 1968 was $2,822).[7] In the same year, in Italy, the retail price for a 33 Stradale was 9.750.000 lire.[8] Just to make a comparison, the Lamborghini Miura was sold for 7.700.000 lire,[9] while the average worker's wage was about 150.000 lire.[

Quote Originally Posted by assman View Post
    If memory serves it wasn't all that long ago that DB4's and 5's could be bought for a relative song. Not in concours condition certainly, but I'd want to drive the damn thing. What a gorgeous car.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    What this thread really needs is pics of a sweet S4 Avant. Those things are tits.

I wonder where we could find pics like that.
    I like the lines

ok pal, let's see you use that ski rack!

ok pal, let's see you use that ski rack!
    Just did, but you were conspicuously absent!

^^^damn that is one ugly piece of shit.

my dream car. for sale,
    http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3576555871.html

Name:	3Gd3Fa3Hf5Gf5E65K8d1r586cb02abfb516a5.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	131611
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

My pile. CL600 V12 Brabus Twin Turbo.

"The Mercedes CL600 is so determined to reach the horizon when you step on its accelerator that it barely pauses for breath. Automatic gearshifts pop off one after another, but the onward rush is hardly interrupted. From the moment the car lunges away from rest with a sharp squeal of rear wheelspin until the 130-mph speed limiter gently restrains its charge, the CL rushes forward on an unstoppable tide of torque.

Passengers in the rear seat will gasp in astonishment at the sustained acceleration, and with good reason. The 5.5-liter twin-turbo V-12 produces 612 pound-feet of twist from a mere 1800 rpm and sustains that level to 3500 rpm. So each of the five gears provides relentless thrust throughout its range."

^^ I think that drivers seat probably weighs as much as some of the cars I owned 20-25 years ago.

It's faster than the speed of light.

The CL600 reminds me of a black 2 door honda accord coupe from a few years ago. Not much distinguished or unique about it, apart from the cool breeze seats.

On another note, Why are all/most the euro saloons and coupes looking all the same these past few years?
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel