Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    V Strom 650 is a fantastic choice for a street bike that has slightly longer travel suspension. A real dual sport would also be good for bad roads.

A big bike like an Africa Twin or GS would be a poor choice for a beginner! x100. Also, riding with a passenger until you have at least a year or, say, 5000 miles of experience would be unwise and a real dick move for the passenger.

I have had a lot of motos, and still have 4. Right now when i am on pavement i really enjoy my GF's Honda CB500X. I just rode it from Tahoe to SF, and it got 65mpg.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15587269186070.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	283659

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

@climberevan, your solution is just a tad more elegant my mine. I could get the bike secured across the rear of the seat and luggage in about 2 min, though, I once I got it dialed. GF was convinced that no good could come of it but it just seemed like a waste to drive a 2 ton vehicle 20 miles to the TH just to carry 200 lbs of human and bike. #nostylepoints

Name:  2015-08-18 19.47.40.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  278.8 KB

An africa twin is tiny klr like compared to a BMW gs of this era. Totally newbie friendly.

You are out of your element.

I'd stay away from the auto clutch.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    V Strom 650 is a fantastic choice for a street bike that has slightly longer travel suspension. A real dual sport would also be good for bad roads.

A big bike like an Africa Twin or GS would be a poor choice for a beginner! x100. Also, riding with a passenger until you have at least a year or, say, 5000 miles of experience would be unwise and a real dick move for the passenger.

I have had a lot of motos, and still have 4. Right now when i am on pavement i really enjoy my GF's Honda CB500X. I just rode it from Tahoe to SF, and it got 65mpg.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15587269186070.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	283659

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    I should have been more specific about the GS...I was thinking one of the smaller varieties, not the big beast. The F650GS (or the modern G650GS) is definitely a reasonably newbie-friendly bike if you can find one at a good price; I suspect the F700/800 *could* be, based on paper specs, but I haven't ridden one to say for sure. Not sure if the ergos will work for a tall guy, though.

The 1150 doesn't have a ton of power, and the delivery is sufficiently linear that it shouldn't be too risky for a newbie, however, it can be a bit tall and top heavy. I thought the OP had mentioned having non-trivial dirt experience, though, which I'd expect to translate reasonably well into dealing with a tall street bike. The inseam he mentioned wouldn't hurt, either.

I do think the Strom is likely the best tool for the job, but YMMV and whatnot.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Found this 50 miles away. 2014, 1800 miles (!), immaculate, $6k. Stoked, picking it up Wednesday. Thanks for all the advice.
    Attachment 283217

This sort of shows why I’m into the Bonnie.
    Attachment 283218
    Oh I think you're gonna like that!

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Oh I think you're gonna like that!
    Oh I do! A lot.