Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Ergonomics and weight are two critical factors. As many people have suggested sit on different bikes and if possible ride a bunch of different ones. As a bicyclist you no doubt appreciate the ability to distribute your weight between feet, hands and butt. That is one reason I think cruisers are lame: all your weight is resting on the seat, bad for comfort AND control. Weight is less relevant at speed but maneuvering slowly, mounting and dismounting a heavy bike (or one with a higher C of G) can be a PITA, especially for a neophyte.

In general I'd steer clear of in-line fours for now.

A 250 is not necessarily too small. Yes, you might find it so after some period of time but you may also realize that pushing a more modest bike closer to its limit is a lot more fun than feeling as if you have too much bike (bhp, weight, whatever).

Remember to ALWAYS wear appropriate stuff (regardless of how warm it is). Road rash is nasty and eventually you will have a mishap, hopefully it will be minor. Car drivers have always paid scant attention to two wheelers and that has only been exacerbated by the ubiquitous distraction devices

Well, I figured it was time to update this thread. Last season, I took my BRC through a weekend long course (test materials Friday night, ride all day Sat, all day Sun, check out ride on Sunday pm).

I ended up getting a 2003 EX250 (Ninja 250). Put about 4k miles on it last year. Just broke it out this last week here in Maine with a stretch of some warmer weather.

Thing has been an absolute blast to ride for me, and gets stellar mileage (~75-80 mpg). Certainly not overly comfortable on highways, but I've limited it to <20 mile one way trips mostly, and mostly on shorter trips around town. More than enough power for me, zippy as all hell, and can be thrown around in turns very easily. I might outgrow it in a few years, but for now, it's perfect. Very happy, at this point, with my decision.

Aside from the saddle. It sucks.

"A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

Glad you are happy with it. It is a great platform, and pretty bulletproof. You can get an aftermarket saddle for it.
    Try some tours with it. Say, fuck it, I'm camping in western mass tomorrow. It's a whole different feeling than just putting around. To me, that is the essence of motorcycling (road).

Plenty of good about that bike, and plenty of places to go upward once you learn your skills and preferences from it as well.

Kinda/kindanot riding time here yet. Jonesing though. Like early season skiing, have to be super careful. Have a bunch of trips planned for this season and new kit. Will be spending a lot of miles/nights in the tent. Can't wait.

Rubber side down.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Got a buddy with a Suzuki 650 dual sport for sale, looks like very good condition, $3500.

Seems like a sweet bug out rig?
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Got a buddy with a Suzuki 650 dual sport for sale, looks like very good condition, $3500.

Seems like a sweet bug out rig?
    If it's is a dr650 then yes.

^^^ yep that's the one.

Its cheaper than the new Salsa full squish fat bike I have been droooling over.
    Last edited by scottyb; 04-14-2014 at 11:16 AM.
    watch out for snakes

Damn the riding bug has not hit me that hard this year. I should head to PA sometime for some lunacy. That state has awesome twisties and no cops. I fly through that state at double the speed limit.

BTW any one down for a tgr ride? Maybe in VT?

School me on repaired suits. Haven't used the leather suit in a few years. It's a spyke decked out with forcefield armor. Problem is, it has a scrape and a hole on the arm. There is a guy in the area that fixes suits for racers. How good are the repaired suits?

Bump.

I need a buddy check here, and reading the good advice in this thread made think to AMA (ask maggots anything).

I’m thinking about getting a bike, probably for the wrong reasons. I’ve gotten the notion that it would be fine to put around on the local mountain and desert roads when the weather’s nice. Not really to get anywhere, just to go for 2-4 hour rides. I’m sort of a pussy driver so hauling ass isn’t important to me at all, I just want to cruise. 5’8” 155 lbs.

What I’d like to know is if it would be stupid to get a Triumph Bonneville. I have some annoying disposable income and a thing for British vehicles, and I think Bonnies are great looking. And they’ve got that Steve McQueen thing going on so I’m kind of obsessing about them.

I’ve ridden before, but not for a long time, and that was on smaller dirt bikes, not full street bikes. I’ll take the riding class to get my endorsement and I’ll get some protective gear, but what I would like to know is if that’s a ridiculous bike for a sort-of beginner to get for small mountain and desert highway riding.

Have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Bump.

I need a buddy check here, and reading the good advice in this thread made think to AMA (ask maggots anything).

I’m thinking about getting a bike, probably for the wrong reasons. I’ve gotten the notion that it would be fine to put around on the local mountain and desert roads when the weather’s nice. Not really to get anywhere, just to go for 2-4 hour rides. I’m sort of a pussy driver so hauling ass isn’t important to me at all, I just want to cruise. 5’8” 155 lbs.

What I’d like to know is if it would be stupid to get a Triumph Bonneville. I have some annoying disposable income and a thing for British vehicles, and I think Bonnies are great looking. And they’ve got that Steve McQueen thing going on so I’m kind of obsessing about them.

I’ve ridden before, but not for a long time, and that was on smaller dirt bikes, not full street bikes. I’ll take the riding class to get my endorsement and I’ll get some protective gear, but what I would like to know is if that’s a ridiculous bike for a sort-of beginner to get for small mountain and desert highway riding.

Have at it.
    Dual sport 650, KLR or DR, take your pick. I prefer my DR for simplicity, easier to work on, and lighter weight. That Triumph will get beat to crap if you frequent gravel / FS roads and these will handle those conditions much better.

But if by mountain and desert roads you mean more pavement oriented, then the Triumph should be fine.

You’d be fine on it. Wouldn’t be stupid if it fits what you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    You’d be fine on it. Wouldn’t be stupid if it fits what you want to do.
    There is some truth in this. I think one of the most important things is being excited about the bike you are looking at buying. If it doesn't ring your bell, it will likely collect dust.

If you think you might be tempted by that single track you just went by, then err on the side of the dirt oriented bike. I’d lean towards a plated 450, unless you want to do lots of pavement. My ride is a plated 300 KTM, but it’s 99% dirt and plated to get to the gas stations in Crested Butte

I second the advice of getting something you're excited about, especially given the price insensitivity and leisure use you described. Unless you're gonna buy a used bike, then you should make sure you're excited about a fuel injected Japanese bike. Doesn't sound like you'd get beat up by a bonneville type bike.

I'm more hesitant about your general use case than I am about the bike. Obviously I don't know your situation, but of all the guys I know who have bikes for this type of riding, very few of them actually make it happen regularly. For those that do, it's their main recreation, not just a side hobby. Location, riding buddies and time priorities all factor in. Do the fun roads take awhile to get to? Will you like riding solo, or do you have friends with similar bikes? (like skis, relative homogeneity in the crew is best) I'm assuming you've thought of this stuff already, so just take this as reinforcement.

Maybe rent a bike on nice weekend and test out your notion. Might learn some interesting things about yourself that pivot the intended use case.

Also, can you clarify the paved/unpaved status of these rides you're after? I read it as fully paved. Plated 450s are the shit, but not for anything more than 10% on road or like 1% highway.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    But if by mountain and desert roads you mean more pavement oriented, then the Triumph should be fine.
    That is what I meant. I don’t have any interest in off-road.

Quote Originally Posted by caulfield View Post
    I second the advice of getting something you're excited about, especially given the price insensitivity and leisure use you described. Unless you're gonna buy a used bike, then you should make sure you're excited about a fuel injected Japanese bike. Doesn't sound like you'd get beat up by a bonneville type bike.

I'm more hesitant about your general use case than I am about the bike. Obviously I don't know your situation, but of all the guys I know who have bikes for this type of riding, very few of them actually make it happen regularly. For those that do, it's their main recreation, not just a side hobby. Location, riding buddies and time priorities all factor in. Do the fun roads take awhile to get to? Will you like riding solo, or do you have friends with similar bikes? (like skis, relative homogeneity in the crew is best) I'm assuming you've thought of this stuff already, so just take this as reinforcement. .
    Good food for thought. I’ll consider that.

The triumph looks cool. And good job not falling for some shitbox harley.

Not really to get anywhere, just to go for 2-4 hour rides.
    4 hours in the wind on a bike like that can be pretty taxing. I have a scrambler and I can do about two hours before it starts to wear on me a bit. Especially at highway speeds. Mountain twisties are another thing all together, but any sustained 60-70 mph stretches get old on a standard bike. YMMV obviously.

Also, just like a pedal bike, fit matters, so make sure you aren't too cramped or too stretched out. You can do some things to change up the geometry, but you can only go so far.

I do love just setting out around lunch time with no plans other than to be home for dinner. Lots of cool places to explore and you connect with your environment much more than in a car.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    And good job not falling for some shitbox harley.
    Also this.
    Last edited by Supermoon; 03-21-2019 at 09:20 PM. Reason: I keep thinking of more stuff.

The triumph looks cool. And good job not falling for some shitbox harley.
    That is what I meant. I don’t have any interest in off-road.
    Just so you know, riding dirt roads is like cruising green ski runs. Make sure you have an idea what direction you think your riding will go as you do it for a year or two. 20 years ago I bought an xr400 for early season access to spring ski routes. Now I’m a full dirt bike convert. I also want a bike like the one you are looking at. It’s way more comfortable and versatile that the crotch rocket path I detoured down for several years.

Jumping in late here.... If you're riding 60+ miles a day, make sure that it's a smooth ride and comfortable ergonomics. I used to have a KLR and the ergos were great for my long legs but it vibrated so much that anything over an hour just made me want to get off it. (I've put 10 hour/600 miles days on it, too - ugh!). Now I have a V-Strom 650 which is the dual sport cousin of the SV650. I haven't ridden the SV, but the V-Strom (DL650) is smooth as silk and I can ride that thing all day long. That's because the KLR is an old-school single cylinder (thumper) while the V-Strom is a modern twin which is smooth and quiet.

Personally, I would never consider a bike with more than 650cc. Big bikes are heavy and less fun IMO and my V-Strom goes faster than I need, even loaded to the gills with gear. This is just personal preference, of course. I also would never buy a bike without fuel injection. You can make the argument that the carb is easier to repair but the FI bikes I've owned (V-Strom - 11 years, WRR250 - 5 years), they've been nothing but reliable and perform great at all elevations. With my carb bikes which I've now sold (KLR 650, DRZ 400S), adjusting the carb for altitude and taking it apart when it invariable clogs up was a ginormous PITA. YMMV - I can only ride about 6-8 months a year due to winter conditions and carb bikes do not like to sit - even if you start them up once in a while and put an enzyme in the fuel.

I would never, ever encourage anyone to get a cruiser bike. If you have a history with them or want to buy into the image, that's cool. Functionally and ergonomically, they suck. They handle like crap, are uncomfortable for touring, tend to be loud and heavy, vibrate like hell, and their owners somehow think they're more core than everyone else. They are pretty much the telemark skiing of motorcycles!

My $0.02: get the smallest CC, twin-cylinder, fuel-injected bike that fits you (too small/cramped makes commutes a bummer) and you can afford. Even the smoother thumpers (like the WRR) aren't great for anything but short trips on the road, IMO (the WRR kills it for dirt-based adventures, though!). The SV650, DL650, Versys, and similar have been around for years and you can probably find an older one in good condition relatively cheap. I bought my last two bikes on the forums at advrider.com and stromtrooper.com is a good site, too (if you're looking for a V-Strom).

Newbie motorcyclist looking for a bike. Is there anyway to check out sizes of a bikes without sitting on them? I'm 6'3 so I'm assuming not all bikes will fit well. Was actually looking at the Triumph Bonneville as well, rad looking bike. Would this fit?

Other question: how many hours/miles do you think someone should ride before having a passenger?

Most bikes will have some measurements like standover height and the size of the cockpit, but it’s probably hard to interpret without first sitting on a bunch of bikes. Some info around on whether bikes are “cramped” or “tall” but it’s all subjective.

I think I waited a couple of months before I rode two-up with my wife. The bike will def handle a bit different and you have another life in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Other question: how many hours/miles do you think someone should ride before having a passenger?
    Depends on where / how you're riding, but also depends a lot on the passenger as well. Passengers that aren't used to 2 wheeled riding, and aren't used to leaning into a turn kinda suck to ride with. Some people try to maintain an upright body position, and basically fight you through every corner.

Newbie motorcyclist looking for a bike. Is there anyway to check out sizes of a bikes without sitting on them? I'm 6'3 so I'm assuming not all bikes will fit well. Was actually looking at the Triumph Bonneville as well, rad looking bike. Would this fit?

At 6' 3" stay away from anything Italian, or that says in marketing material "designed to recreate feel and look of a vintage cafe racer."

Wait as long as possible...riding two up on anything but a Honda Goldwing sucks.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    At 6' 3" stay away from anything Italian, or that says in marketing material "designed to recreate feel and look of a vintage cafe racer."

Wait as long as possible...riding two up on anything but a Honda Goldwing sucks.
    Depends on where / how you're riding, but also depends a lot on the passenger as well. Passengers that aren't used to 2 wheeled riding, and aren't used to leaning into a turn kinda suck to ride with. Some people try to maintain an upright body position, and basically fight you through every corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Most bikes will have some measurements like standover height and the size of the cockpit, but it’s probably hard to interpret without first sitting on a bunch of bikes. Some info around on whether bikes are “cramped” or “tall” but it’s all subjective.

I think I waited a couple of months before I rode two-up with my wife. The bike will def handle a bit different and you have another life in your hands.
    Okay, so american brands? Any suggestions on bikes similar to the Bonneville but better suited for tall folk?

I'm okay with "sucks", just wondering generally how long to wait before most people feel comfortable/safe, cause yeah, that whole "another life in your hands"

Okay, so american brands? Any suggestions on bikes similar to the Bonneville but better suited for tall folk?

I'm okay with "sucks", just wondering generally how long to wait before most people feel comfortable/safe, cause yeah, that whole "another life in your hands"
    How well do you think patrol should be able to run a toboggan before they do it with a real patient?

It's pretty much the same question, and it will vary for everyone, and by environment. Personally, I think I was around 15k and a couple of track days under my belt. Other people may be comfortable with a lower experience level and less margin of safety.

The bike in question also makes a difference; it took all of 100 yards on my Ninjette to decide that riding two-up was terrifying, while riding with the same passenger shortly later (on her bike, after she bought an F650GS) was relatively comfortable for both of us.