Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    If you have long legs and a slightly fatter wallet, look at BMW. The American brands are almost all cruiser type bikes--big V twins. I'm 6'2" and I prefer the riding position of the sport touring models vs. cruiser bikes. YMMV. The bigger BMWs ride two up as well as anything. I've ridden a Triumph Triple that was ok for me sizewise but it's not really a two up.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

The best bike I’ve had was a Versys. It was ugly, but it was tall, fun to drive, comfortable, reliable and rode two up nicely. It consistently wins the bike of the year awards

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    If you have long legs and a slightly fatter wallet, look at BMW. The American brands are almost all cruiser type bikes--big V twins. I'm 6'2" and I prefer the riding position of the sport touring models vs. cruiser bikes. YMMV. The bigger BMWs ride two up as well as anything. I've ridden a Triumph Triple that was ok for me sizewise but it's not really a two up.
    Longer legs yes, fatter wallet no. I think most my rides will be 1-2 hrs with the occasional multi-day trip consisting of 3-4 hrs a day, do want to ride in the city so was advised not to get something crazy heavy.

I guess in summary:
    -like the style/look of the Triumph Bonneville (I'm in my early 20s so looks matter more than they should, but hey at least I'm honest)
    -want something that fits (6'3)
    -want something where I can have a passenger (eventually)
    -budget is 4-5k (used), seems like this is reasonable after talking with my motorcycle friends

Bump.

I’m thinking about this:
    https://santafe.craigslist.org/mcy/d...885882828.html

Any advice on what I should look for and ask about? Is 6k miles too many? Price?

Again, not interested in dual-purpose/single track stuff. 95% paved road, though I live on a (short) dirt road.

The miles aren't bad at all. But 6K is around when a bike should have it's second oil change, especially when it's five-years-old. Ask to see all maintenance records in advance.

And Santa Fe ain't too far from me. Lemme know if you pull the trigger on this.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Bump.

I’m thinking about this:
    https://santafe.craigslist.org/mcy/d...885882828.html

Any advice on what I should look for and ask about? Is 6k miles too many? Price?

Again, not interested in dual-purpose/single track stuff. 95% paved road, though I live on a (short) dirt road.
    No idea if that's a good price for that bike, but 6k miles is nothing. It's not a snowmobile.

6k on a five year old bike seems like a pretty good sweet spot. Has been driven a bit so it hasn’t sat forever, but not super high miles either. 1k a year is pretty gently used I think

Yes!
    Nice.
    Motorcycles are easy and fun to work on. If there’s little problems or something that needs to be changed, you’ll have a little project.

Don’t trick yourself into thinking small engine or mellow intent make riding safe. Sometimes the big motor gets you out of trouble, sometimes offense is the best defense, the smallest least threatening motorcycle still goes 50, and 50 into an elk is what it is. I had many close calls on cb400s around N. NM...
    It’s good to be home before dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    The miles aren't bad at all. But 6K is around when a bike should have it's second oil change, especially when it's five-years-old. Ask to see all maintenance records in advance.
    Fuck, it looks like it’s gone already. Snooze=lose I guess, but it was only up for a few hours.

And Santa Fe ain't too far from me. Lemme know if you pull the trigger on this.
    I thought you were somewhere like STL? I’m in SF. I saw here that you were skiing at Taos a few weeks ago, but I was otherwise occupied. Lemme know if you want to have a drink here in SF sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    the smallest least threatening motorcycle still goes 50, and 50 into an elk is what it is. I had many close calls on cb400s around N. NM...
    It’s good to be home before dark.
    When I finally get one I’m gonna ride it out to Petaca and flip everyone there off.

I missed the listing, what was it. I can give decades of experience and advice.

A 2014 Triumph Bonneville, local, ~6k miles, $4400, looked like it was in nice condition. I’m looking for a +/- recent Bonneville, that’s the second one that I saw here nearby and let get away. I see them up in Colorado Springs/Denver every so often, but that just seems too far from Santa Fe to go check them out.

I might just go to the ABQ dealer for a 2018 model...if they have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post

I might just go to the ABQ dealer for a 2018 model...if they have one.
    d00d, I moved to the Pagosa Springs area full-time last fall. That's why I've been spending so much time at Taos. Also, don't limit your search geographically, I know a bike delivery guy who can transport a bike to you from SoCal, Vegas, SLC, Phoenix, etc. A lot of places have 2018 bikes that they're trying to blow out. I just bought a new 2018 Triumph Tiger 800 in Vegas, $4000+ off sticker.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

MS - if you’re serious about a Bonnie, my buddy has one for sale. Black/red 2006, very few miles - maybe about 1400. Perfect condition. He just bought a Thruxton R so selling the Bonnie. I could ride it to Omaha (have an office there) but you’d have to figure out how to get it from there. Cheap - around $3000 I think. Let me know if you want more info.

^ that seems like a no-brainer if that is your jam.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Also, don't limit your search geographically, I know a bike delivery guy who can transport a bike to you from SoCal, Vegas, SLC, Phoenix, etc. A lot of places have 2018 bikes that they're trying to blow out. I just bought a new 2018 Triumph Tiger 800 in Vegas, $4000+ off sticker.
    Good tip, I hadn’t thought of that. I might be in touch about your guy. We’ll have to make some turns now that you’re in Pagosa.

Quote Originally Posted by bjorn240 View Post
    MS - if you’re serious about a Bonnie, my buddy has one for sale. Black/red 2006, very few miles - maybe about 1400. Perfect condition. He just bought a Thruxton R so selling the Bonnie. I could ride it to Omaha (have an office there) but you’d have to figure out how to get it from there. Cheap - around $3000 I think. Let me know if you want more info.
    Hmm, I’ll think about that. I was leaning toward fuel injection and liquid cooled though.

Found this 50 miles away. 2014, 1800 miles (!), immaculate, $6k. Stoked, picking it up Wednesday. Thanks for all the advice.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D4FD6D34-C306-40FE-A5E0-FD11A043793A.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	728.2 KB 
ID:	283217

This sort of shows why I’m into the Bonnie.
    Name:  7FD0817A-D934-494F-95E5-2F163B7E66E2.jpeg
Views: 326
Size:  128.7 KB

^^^^ Well Done, Meadow skipper... that's a peach.

Silver is my favorite.

And the sound, oh the wonderful note of that exhaust.

Summer evenings puttering around in the warm air, sky changing colors, stopping for a roadside sesh...mmmmm, living the dream.

^Right? Can’t wait. Of course it’s snowing right now.

Dang, makes me want one

I’d recommend a Suzuki Vstrom 650. Plenty of power for two-up but decently maneuverable as single. Handles the road great but also can go on FS roads and do some adventure riding. I know a guy who’s selling a 2012 with 10k and full pannier/adventure package...

I was thinking a DS, then step up to that golden cow gsxr 750/1000. However, I have two jobs. One is downtown SF, one is 27 miles each way. It's been brought to my attention that the roads in SF are shit for a supersport, while the commute will be a stretch on the DS. Any suggestions? I have some experience in street and dirt, just took the class. 6'2", 250#, wife is another 140 and tall, if it ever comes to that.

Also, can we get a check in from OP?

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    I was thinking a DS, then step up to that golden cow gsxr 750/1000. However, I have two jobs. One is downtown SF, one is 27 miles each way. It's been brought to my attention that the roads in SF are shit for a supersport, while the commute will be a stretch on the DS. Any suggestions? I have some experience in street and dirt, just took the class. 6'2", 250#, wife is another 140 and tall, if it ever comes to that.

Street oriented dual sport--BMW GS, Weestrom, etc. Comfortable seating position, ability to carry luggage, and enough suspension travel to deal with crappy roads, yet plenty of refinement to make pavement seat time pleasurable (unlike a dirt-oriented bike).

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

I can second the previous recommendation for the V-Strom. I have the 650 and it's super comfortable. I'm 6' with long legs and traded a guy with a 1000 for this tall seat which made it better for long (>300 mile) rides. I've taken this thing everywhere - 4000 mile trips, commuting, middle-of-nowhere dirt, zooming up the pass, etc and it's been a champ. The 650 has plenty of oomph for me and I've ridden 2-up plenty of time with no issues. It's the most low-maintenance, reliable bike I've owned and you can probably find older models for cheap since they've been around for while -I don't think a whole lot has changed. Mine is a 2007 with 28k (bought with 6k) and it still purrs like a kitten.

yeah I was toying with buying a bike after more than 30 yars out of (mostly dirtbikes) bikes so I did a bunch of on line research and the Vstom seemed to be the bike

so I borrowed a buddies 650 V-strom for a ride, I'm a 5'8" 165lb short AZN man and I found the V-strom really easy to handle and get back on after all those years

I didn't end up buying a bike but it would be a good one for touring
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Check out the Africa Twin or any of the other Honda’s that have the DCT (aka automatic) transmission. If you have a significant amount of time in stop and go traffic, it might be really nice to not burn up your clutch hand.

I’ve never driven them, so no idea how they actually perform. I’ve heard mixed reviews.