Salt water setup

I am trying to see if there is maybe an appropriate 8,9, or 10 weight to cover a variety of fish. I would like it to be a solid salt water rod for redfish, bone, permit as well as surf fishing in Carolina for a variety of fish. But then also a good rod for stripers, northern and large bass.

I know this is a big spectrum but not fishing for these all the time I don't want to buy 3 different weight rods. Would love a 4 piece rod to put in luggage / carry on.

Also any experience with South Carolina fishing would be appreciated. Grass flats, surf or other on the fly? I will be there a week this spring and would love to get some fish going. I will be on isle of palms looking to fish the beach and the channel between Sullivan's.

If the funds allow the 990 Sage ONE is my go to multi species saltwater stick. Light and powerful, will punch through the wind and cast as precise as you can on the flats. Have landed tarpon up to 35lbs on it which was fun. Throws leadcore for stripes awesome. Super durable.

My backups are all Redington predator's, for $250 they are reasonably light and cast really well and they have carbon fiber wrapped ferrules for durability and lifting power, I've jumped and fought 80lb tarpon on the 10 and it was up to the task, the 9 would be a great budget all rounder'. They hold up way better than the TFO BVK series.

Carried a 7 & 9 while living in swfl - pops had a 12 for the spring. 9 was my go to everyday rod on the flats and oyster beds. It was also the rod I generally used when headed south(east) in search of bones and permit (9 isn't always enough). 7 was a great "sporting" rod for pup reds, small snook, snapper and tight mangrove fishing. Used to pull it out for <25# Tarpon on the local golf course (brackish water ponds fed by inland canals) as well - not a high success rate, but what a freaking blast.

I agree with snapt here, a 9 fits the bill as your rod of one. I've had the privilege of throwing a few different Sage and Loomis sticks, and would recommend either if they're within your price point. The ONE series are sexy as hell. Picked up an Elkhorn when I moved out here, however. Well priced and handle great. Another lower priced option at least.

Good luck. Let us know what you go with.

Back in the day I had a major hard-on for the Sage 990 RPL-X. I'm sure, 20 years later, that they've improved upon that.

9 weight = salt water all-rounder.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by Temagami View Post
    Used to pull it out for <25# Tarpon on the local golf course (brackish water ponds fed by inland canals) as well - not a high success rate, but what a freaking blast.
    Heh- where did you live? Got the same set up here in Clearwater. Hole #6 is fed by the bay- we get baby Tarpon, Reds, and snook on the golf course.

Edit- oh, and 9. Always the 9.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Heh- where did you live? Got the same set up here in Clearwater. Hole #6 is fed by the bay- we get baby Tarpon, Reds, and snook on the golf course.
    Grew up on Marco and moved to Naples for a stint post-undergrad. For whatever reason, we wouldn't get reds on the course, only snook and tarpon. The white / red goggle eye gurgler or something similar (good match for an injured finger mullet - red nose) in the black hue brackish water used to be my go to. Visited my parents down their recently, and had great results on a white / red streamer for reds on high vis shoals. Nice ride, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    If the funds allow the 990 Sage ONE is my go to multi species saltwater stick. Light and powerful, will punch through the wind and cast as precise as you can on the flats. Have landed tarpon up to 35lbs on it which was fun. Throws leadcore for stripes awesome. Super durable.
    Any experience or comparison with the Helios 9 weight? A friend who guides was suggesting it as well. At that quality I think it is hard to go wrong but making sure.

Quote Originally Posted by molson14 View Post
    Any experience or comparison with the Helios 9 weight? A friend who guides was suggesting it as well. At that quality I think it is hard to go wrong but making sure.
    Honestly if you're a good caster you'll enjoy either. I've fished the original Helios quite extensively and thrown some of the II's, where I think the ONE pulls away is a little more lifting power.

^^ thanks for your help. Going to see which is a better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Temagami View Post
    Nice ride, btw.
    Thanks, which one?

I've not been doing this long enough to be providing gear advice, so I'll pass it on from other people. Read up here http://www.tellurideangler.com/news/...uide-2012.html. I have a Scott A4 in an 8. Throws $2-400 better than it costs. Sage TCX is a workout. Have it in an 8, but it's more like a 9.5. I have a Helios original in a 12. Will have an opinion on that soon. One thing about te original Helios is you can buy them used very heavily discounted. I think mine cost $360.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Fwiw...Sage's Xi3 9' #9wt (just feeling the flex...no line thrown) felt really nice last week during out one day warmup + sun..lol.
    $.01

Honestly if you're a good caster you'll enjoy either. I've fished the original Helios quite extensively and thrown some of the II's, where I think the ONE pulls away is a little more lifting power.
    I hope the user isn't lifting with a high rod angle...like I saw so many during the 90s....I mean forget it, you need a crane to do work like that. Do it ALL with a low rod angle and use the butt instead of the tip to bring in big fish.
    $.01

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    Fwiw...Sage's Xi3 9' #9wt (just feeling the flex...no line thrown) felt really nice last week during out one day warmup + sun..lol.
    $.01
    The Xi3 is a very nice rod but to me, it feels like you're throwing a line with a steel rod...just a little lighter. It's one of those rods with very little forgiveness and feel. You can fling a fly as far as you want to with a perfect cadence.

I've heard good things about the new Winston cannon too if that's the type of rod you're after. B3sx I think???

I want to go do some salt fishing so bad. Anyone know how red fish off the coast of Louisiana is during the fall? Say during duck season?

Guided duck and hunt and red fish with a couple days in the quarter...sounds like a great long weekend to me! Maggot Trip 2013?
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Didn't underoos just post a buncha pics fro ma combo duck/red trip from this fall?

Didn't underoos just post a buncha pics fro ma combo duck/red trip from this fall?
    You are correct...I forgot about that...either way...we should do a mag trip next fall...Underoos can chaperone!
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    The Xi3 is a very nice rod but to me, it feels like you're throwing a line with a steel rod...just a little lighter. It's one of those rods with very little forgiveness and feel. You can fling a fly as far as you want to with a perfect cadence.

I've heard good things about the new Winston cannon too if that's the type of rod you're after. B3sx I think???
    Thanks for mentioning schwerty, that definitely sounds like something to try......when this cold snap eases....

Wife surprised me for my 30th last night with a Sage ONE 990 and a Tibor Everglades setup! Excited to try it out today!