Generations: Eric and Logan Pehota

We spent a week last season with Eric Pehota and his son Logan at Mustang Powder Cats and Selkirk Tangiers Heli Skiing. This is a brief story that looks back on Eric's legendary skiing relationship with Trevor Peterson and also looks forward to Logan's aspiring ski career. Just as journeymen crafts are passed from one generation to the next, the Pehota's are similarly transitioning their craft of mastering the mountains. We had a blast skiing with these two guys. They are as genuinely humble and nice as you could imagine. I was really impressed with how neither of them have let their celebrity impact them as they are clearly salt of the earth. Here's their story:

fkna! it'll be cool to see the progression of the Pehota boys!

I met Eric back in '08 at The Coldsmoke Fest in Nelson, BC. We skied dogleg off the top of WW with a large group, but the two of us had the chance to talk a lot on the hike up to the summit. He talked a lot about raising Logan and his development as a skier and young man. Absolutely one of the coolest guys I've ever met and he followed that day up with some absolutely incredible drinking and antics the following night out on the town.

Really happy for the whole family. They're doing in correctly for sure.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Quote Originally Posted by dblatto View Post
    .....and he followed that day up with some absolutely incredible drinking and antics the following night out on the town.
    I wouldn't have any knowledge of any such similar activity when we spent several nights in Revelstoke...

Awesome. Dalton's gonna feel slighted with that one! Eric's done an amazing job raising those guys and I'm happy to have seen them mature into respectable young men over the years. I shared a pretty special day skiing on Mount Currie with Eric and Logan a few years back that will go down as one of my most memorable in life.

Eric showing Kye and Logan the entrance line to the central couloir on Mount Currie on the 20th anniversary of Eric & Trevors 1st descent

the entrance line!

with some encouragement from Kye, Logan drops in

proud dad watches the torch pass down a generation as he reflects on a another day many years before

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    Awesome. Dalton's gonna feel slighted with that one! Eric's done an amazing job raising those guys and I'm happy to have seen them mature into respectable young men over the years. I shared a pretty special day skiing on Mount Currie with Eric and Logan a few years back that will go down as one of my most memorable in life.
    Great story and pictures! Yeah, I felt kind of bad for Dalton for not being part of our story but he wasn't old enough to be part of it. He'll probably have plenty of opportunity in the future. I understand he's a pretty good racer. I'm looking forward to an opportunity to meet and ski with him.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Great story and pictures! Yeah, I felt kind of bad for Dalton for not being part of our story but he wasn't old enough to be part of it. He'll probably have plenty of opportunity in the future. I understand he's a pretty good racer. I'm looking forward to an opportunity to meet and ski with him.
    Don't feel bad for Dalton, he popped his cherry on Mount Currie a few weeks ago and is well on his way to coming into his own. Eric had both boys in ski racing and took a lot of time off the hill himself for a few years to do the racer dad bit just so the kids learned solid technique. The Pehota's are probably the most committed and dedicated ski family out there right now.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Don't feel bad for Dalton, he popped his cherry on Mount Currie a few weeks ago and is well on his way to coming into his own. Eric had both boys in ski racing and took a lot of time off the hill himself for a few years to do the racer dad bit just so the kids learned solid technique. The Pehota's are probably the most committed and dedicated ski family out there right now.
    Good for him! I know Eric has committed a bunch of time to bringing up the kids' skill levels, not just with being a racer dad but also in getting them out to experience what he had. It was pretty interesting watching him line up drops for Logan. So many dads (and moms) would be really nervous watching their kid drop a forty footer but Eric just patiently worked with him to make sure he knew what he was coming into and making sure there was a good exit. Logan obviously trusted him implicitly and followed Eric's instructions to a tee.

As for being the most dedicated ski family out there right now, I think the Mahres might be in a similar league. We have skied with a bunch of Phil and Steve's kids and nephews and they're all pretty much about skiing, too. Andy and Robby were just with us at Big Red Cats and will be with us next week in Colorado and again as we do our Idaho tour in a few weeks. More video to come!

I met Eric back in '08 at The Coldsmoke Fest in Nelson, BC. We skied dogleg off the top of WW with a large group, but the two of us had the chance to talk a lot on the hike up to the summit. He talked a lot about raising Logan and his development as a skier and young man. Absolutely one of the coolest guys I've ever met and he followed that day up with some absolutely incredible drinking and antics the following night out on the town.

Had a very similar experience in '11. I remember Eric describing teaching the boys to always stop in safe zones even in the resort, to make the instinct second nature for them. I've taught my daughters the same lesson.

Always a privilege to meet a great, humble, gentleman. Standing on top of Y M I Here peak in -20, strong wind. Eric was constantly looking out for everyone on that day in his cheerful implacable manner.

Great story about the boys. Roots of parenting in the mountains, we're all really just catapults.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke of Hurl View Post
    Had a very similar experience in '11. I remember Eric describing teaching the boys to always stop in safe zones even in the resort, to make the instinct second nature for them. I've taught my daughters the same lesson.
    Heh, 3rd'd. Met Eric in '10 at Coldsmoke. Didn't talk with him much during the day, but my gf and I ended up sharing a table with him and his two buddies at the Buffet later that evening. Between those guys and Mitch Scott MC'ing, my face hurt the next morning from laughing.

Fast forward to last March, and my gf and I were out in Whistler and had popped into the Roundhouse or somewhere for a late lunch. Picked a spot, gf went off to get food while I got water. I'm walking back to our spot and I notice Eric is sitting at the table right next to us w/ Logan. Re-introduced myself, we talked for awhile yet again before he and Logan went off to plunder more pow. All I could think was, damn, those guys are doing something right. Salt of the earth folks Eric and co. are...

Eric's a good time to be around in the summer, too. I'm sure he wouldn't mind me plugging his business. He has a jet boat operation that can take care of some off-season thrill seeking, too. Not a bad choice in July; skin some area peaks and go for a thrill ride while you're there. He offhandedly mentioned that he hasn't killed any customers...yet. Here's his website:

http://www.whistlerjetboating.com/

Never had the pleasure to meet the man but grew up following his career - exactly how I pictured him to be. Nice to see the next generation sharing the same stoke. World class for sure. Nice story.
    The Passion is in the Risk

Don't feel bad for Dalton, he popped his cherry on Mount Currie a few weeks ago and is well on his way to coming into his own.
    Johnny Foon went up with them. Report on his blog.

http://www.foonskis.com/ringing-in-the-new-year/

A shot I got of Logan back in 07 on a nice sunny early season pow day chasing Eric, his boys and Powder11 around Blackcomb.

edit actually it might be Dalton...it's one of them.

Nice video, thanks for posting it.

At the Gordycamp in 2008, we had the pleasure of Eric guiding us around Blackcomb. Hearing the stories on some of the run names was great, as was walking up to DOA, seeing Trevor's ice axe, just an all around cool day with a solid dude. He was also yelling encouragement at the group to hit a few small drops "I bring my 11 year old son in here!".

Eric's a good time to be around in the summer, too. I'm sure he wouldn't mind me plugging his business. He has a jet boat operation that can take care of some off-season thrill seeking, too. Not a bad choice in July; skin some area peaks and go for a thrill ride while you're there. He offhandedly mentioned that he hasn't killed any customers...yet. Here's his website:

http://www.whistlerjetboating.com/
    Yep, I will vouch for good times on the river with Pehota behind the wheel. The dude is like a surgeon with that boat. Knows every rock, downed tree and wildlife along the route. You kind of wonder how much control he really has at that speed until you see the look in his eyes while he's on the throttle and realize that he fucking owns that river.

edit: To Gramboh.

Heh, yeah but his 11 year old son doesn't have 56 year old knees...

Just finally got around to reading the current issue of Powder and saw where Logan was ranked #4 of the 20 best skiers under 18. Congratulations, Logan!

Great read. Super interesting and REAL family. Eric's come a long ways from his classic win over Coombs etc for the 1991 Blackcomb Extreme:

Name:  pehota.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  97.3 KB

()

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post

At the Gordycamp in 2008, we had the pleasure of Eric guiding us around Blackcomb. Hearing the stories on some of the run names was great, as was walking up to DOA, seeing Trevor's ice axe, just an all around cool day with a solid dude. He was also yelling encouragement at the group to hit a few small drops "I bring my 11 year old son in here!".
    I'll never forget that day. Eric was so low key. "We're going to a little run I take my boys up to". Seemed pretty innocuous on the way up! It didn't take log before you knew it wasn't going to be little and it probably had at least a little exposure. The first time I saw him skiing was about 3 years before that on Blackcomb. Straightlining across a field of huge moguls on his Rossi Squads like it was a little crud, upper body totally calm.

Hope your still doing well and given'er Gramboh.

Very cool vid. Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHunter View Post
    I'll never forget that day. Eric was so low key. "We're going to a little run I take my boys up to". Seemed pretty innocuous on the way up! It didn't take log before you knew it wasn't going to be little and it probably had at least a little exposure. The first time I saw him skiing was about 3 years before that on Blackcomb. Straightlining across a field of huge moguls on his Rossi Squads like it was a little crud, upper body totally calm.

Hope your still doing well and given'er Gramboh.
    I'm one of the lucky Gordycamp participants who got to spend time with Eric in 2008.

The first day of the camp was his first day skiing Blackcomb since returning from Coldsmokefest...
    He mentioned being last one to sleep and the first one up for his days up there

He took us through the park on our first run, and told us to always take it easy on your first day back at a resort (home resort or not), to be able to suss out any hidden hazards or changed conditions...

WhiteHunter, I think you are talking about the curl, or lone pine...
    very memorable run, when you make the turn onto the curl, and realize you are perched up there with some exposure to deal with...

Good times!

Edit to add: Whenever he said anything about "I take my boys on this run," I always responded by saying, "that doesn't give me much comfort to hear that."
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    ....Whenever he said anything about "I take my boys on this run," I always responded by saying, "that doesn't give me much comfort to hear that."
    Considering he took them down Mt. Currie and DOA when they were about 10, you're right to not be real comfortable when he said that....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Scientist View Post
    Great read. Super interesting and REAL family. Eric's come a long ways from his classic win over Coombs etc for the 1991 Blackcomb Extreme:

Name:  pehota.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  97.3 KB

()
    unmistakable narration by Pete Chrzanowski
    Aggressive in my own mind