Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ski Technique- TGR

I was wondering, why doesn't anyone ever talk tips/technique on the forum? It'd be useful. Today (don't ask me why), I went to Killington, and was skiing Outer Limits for a good part of the day on what was some of the hardest boilerplate I've ever encountered. Though I had blistering moments, I definitely had manly instances where the edges on my gotamas (yes, wrong skis for the day) started to come out from underneath, or I struggled to get any rhythm in the bumps on lower Ovation that had been rutted, scraped and shaped by a bunch of holiday turners.

I have moments where I feel like an all star (that's why they call it hero snow), but being able to ski the worst conditions with grace- can be hit or miss. How do you guys handle those days? Ever feel like you're getting your ass kicked?

I kept wishing that I had a resource on how to ski that with a bit more grace. It's not too bad if you shut it down, but I know there are skiers on here that can ski in those conditions with skill. I found myself asking...why doesn't anyone ever talk technique on the forum. It's loaded with good skiers (albeit, I think there is a lot of hyping up of skill on here).

Just my thought for the da.

1) Everybody here skis like Scot Schmidt (if they're old) or Hoji, so we don't need to talk about technique unless it relates to how one might best take advantage of a specific ski.

2) Hands out and up.

3) pm BushwackerinPA for advice.

4) go to epicski.com, jong.

They talk that stuff over in tech talk.

I realize epic ski does that stuff. I'm just wondering why no one talks this stuff on TGR. It's part of skiing, you know. I'd think we all work on stuff from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post

4) go to epicski.com, jong.
    Exactly. We're all dentists, not psiaa nerds.

Nekkid pics of your girlfriend/Mom/sister, and we'll talk.

I don't ski in shit conditions cuz I ski like shit then. So I never have to worry about my shit technique.

levitate

works for me

rog

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    They talk that stuff over in tech talk.
    STOP spreading misinformation!
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Quote Originally Posted by Adrider83 View Post
    Though I had blistering moments, I definitely had manly instances
    better lube maybe?

I realize epic ski does that stuff. I'm just wondering why no one talks this stuff on TGR. It's part of skiing, you know. I'd think we all work on stuff from time to time.
    Because talking about it does largely fuck-all to help you? Gordycamp is the place to go for learning how to be a better skier, not listening to random idiots on the internet.

I realize epic ski does that stuff. I'm just wondering why no one talks this stuff on TGR.
    Because epic does it, and they do it well if that type of technical movement analysis jibber jabber is what you're looking for..

If you want to join the discussion, go to where it's happening. Many people here have accounts on epic too but I'd venture to guess that the psia types who offer the best advice don't often come round here too often...

Pm vdronzipper. He'll give all the tips you need and umpteen bazillion you dont

Quote Originally Posted by sparkletarte. View Post
    better lube maybe?
    And now you guys all know why sparkletarte is one of our fave vollies... LOL (literally)

Unlike epic, where they have to share tips and talk about their feelings, we are all aggressive skiers and don't need that sort of touchy-feely crap.

Besides, we all know that we're the best damn skier on the mountain. Those psia pricks would just slow us down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

I agree with all of the above, but since you're already here, try lifting the inside ski, I think.

I personally wouldn't want an infinite number of instructors/coaches providing advice. It gets confusing quickly and everyone wants to be right. There are lots of egos out there. Your best bet is to take a lesson or find a friend with some experience instructing/coaching to give you pointers.

Another avenue worth exploring is volunteering with organizations on the mountain that offer instruction. I know around here that volunteering with the adaptive ski program provides you with access to a skill development night where an instructor is on hand to help volunteers improve.

Right skis for the conditions
    Said skis tuned
    Hands forward
    Body squared 2 falline
    Backpack of beers

If this doesn't work, lessons
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Just post a vid on yourself skiing on epic, then they will tell you everything from useful tips to why their wife left them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Right skis for the conditions
    Said skis tuned
    Hands forward
    Body squared 2 falline
    Backpack of beers
    single hitter

If this doesn't work, lessons
    fixed it for ya
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

noob here knows not yet the taboo on technique talk -

skied a lot of boilerplate at Killington and Stowe -

I agree with Old Goat - get all your weight on your downhill ski - having most weight on one ski helps it dig in more. If it grips then carve normally, with extra attention to keeping your weight and hands forward, because otherwise the fast conditions will put you in the back seat. If you can't sink an edge, then the conditions are no longer fun and it's time to hit the Pickle Barrel.

^^^starting your turns earlier(if uphill was 12 / downhill 6....then start your turn by 1 or 2 o-clock) upper body stillness;work your hips
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Guys, guys, control that inner epic ski.

If you can ski well in good conditions, and fair in fair conditions, you're on the right track. You don't need anyone telling you how to weight your skis or pressure your boots. What you need is dozens and dozens and even hundreds of days on snow. Shitty snow. Even then you and your backcountry partners will encounter conditions that bring you back to stem cristy's and the falling leaf down heinous coloirs and suncupped bowls, sometimes in flat light that leaves you dizzy and confused. Its fun and funny and you really shouldn't worry about it.

What I have found works is in this order:
    1. time on skis
    2. eyes ahead
    3. hands up
    4. rockered skis
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    A better option would be to quit whining and go ski somewhere with less people around.
    __________________________________________________ __________

Aclimate Sports Drink- "Go higher feel better"

fuck that shit just go skiing.

Your skis are far too short and skinny. You need AT LEAST something 195+ long and 110+ wide to properly rail EC boilerplate.