Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Bad news for any diet is no booze and I just can't embrace that in my alcoholic state. Shit, If I tried to keep my intake to a 8 hour window, I would be hammered by 4pm, as I need to eat breakfast around 8-9am.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Well, no, you skip breakfast under this plan, so you're fine.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Hey they have a clubhouse.

Well it's more of a fort.
    I thought it was a cave
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    benefit is one crap a day for duration of plan.
    Not if you take one of those big craps that leaves you hungry (and your pants fitting better)

Sent from my DROID2
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I've been IF + Paleo for a LONG time now.

It helped me cut weight for my fights like no other diet, ever.

And now that I'm taking a break from fighting, it's helping me maintain, even lean out, without much effort.
    I do at least a 16/8 fast, most days I manage a 20/4 fast as I'm just not hungry AT ALL the next day if I have a fatty, protein rich, and veggie rich dinner.

I get fanatic about it sometime, as far as pushing my friends to try it, but it's seriously that awesome. At least for me. The energy I have throughout the day from low-carb + fasting is out of this world. No digestive slumps, ever.

Not if you take one of those big craps that leaves you hungry (and your pants fitting better)
    is that what your mom said when you were born?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

No dear, not everyone's mom is like yours.
    ZING!
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Bump

Didn't something similar to this topic come up in another thread somewhat recently? I specifically remember DTM talking about skipping meals... Ok not really intermittent fasting, but still..

Anyway, a video popped up yesterday on the youtube and has me doing some research into this. 7 years after this thread was started, has anyone been keeping up with some sort of fasting regime that can report back? Results?

I'm specifically interested in some of the claimed health related benefits but absolutely do not need to drop any pounds, probably the opposite actually. I'm also curious how people fast for 16 hours and aren't hungry or fatigued. How can physically active people keep up with this? Let's say you wake up early for an all day tour/ski, or play in a late night sports league, etc. I just don't see how this meal plan can be sustainable for people who go out and get it. Seems more like a 9-5 couch potato routine for people to drop pounds without actually doing anything. Convince me otherwise...

Intermittent Fasting

I’ve been into it for about a year and a half. Found that fasting everyday seems to slow my metabolism after 2-3 wks.
    I rotate eating now and don’t think much about it.

My typical fasting day looks like this:
    break fast after 17-19 hours. So if I finished dinner around 7 the night before I’d be eating again around 1ish. Maybe earlier or later depending on my schedule.
    First meal is small and lean, (pea protein, collagen and some almond milk or 7-8oz of lean meat). Dinner full of fats, proteins and veggies.
    Might do that 3-4 days a week. The other days I eat three meals.

I also do at least one 24-30hour fast per month.

Key to my success with intermittent fasting is WHAT i eat when in a fed state. If I load up on carbs and sugars my blood sugar will be all over the place resulting in constant hunger. If i eat more healthy fats and meats while using good veggies too I’m all good. (Basically keto). I know folks that eat a more balanced diet and do it tho.

Just my .02. I feel like I jumped back 20+ years! Improved work performance, physical ability, lost body fat. And, I don’t restrict calories at all!

Edit: i don’t seem to have any problems with skiing, exercising, gym sessions etc... in fact I have more energy than I used to when I ate all the fuckin time. Took a while to train my body though

I’ve been doing 16/8 (most of the time) for two years. That same two years has been one of the most challenging for me fitness wise as I’ve been traveling for work a ton, super busy and my activity has dropped off. I think it has helped prevent a far worse slide. My diet definitely isn’t great all the time for those hours I’m eating and calories thru alcohol often go outside the 8 hour window. Overall though I’m rarely hungry in the mornings and definitely less hungry overall.

I've been doing 16/8 IF consistently for 4 or 5 years. At this point, it mostly comes down to convenience. Breakfast is a pain in the ass on busy mornings, so I typically don't bother.

IF is a tool. It can help couch potatoes lose weight, and it can help fit people improve metabolic efficiency. I exercise a ton and do IF 5-6 days a week. It's easy on weekdays because I can exercise at lunch and then eat after. On weekends, if I'm getting out in the morning, I'll typically do the first hour or so fasted, then work on getting some protein and a little bit of carbs. No reason to be militant about it, though. You can move and expand the window to suit your activity level. If I wake up feeling hungry, or if I'm going into a really long day on the bike, I'll eat some breakfast. Summer brings some really long days on the bike, and you hit a point where 8 hours just isn't enough time to get the calories you need without stuffing yourself, so you just gotta eat. Like schwerty, the key for me has been to avoid starting the day with sugar. Something with some fat, protein, vegetation, and maybe a little "cleaner" carbs works better for me. I think the biggest benefit to an active person comes from not relying on food to operate, particularly when being active.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I have been doing 16/8 for the last 20 months or so. Occasionally I go 20-22 hours. But I'm also not militant, occasionally I do less than 16 or just eat breakfast (usually on weekends).

Don't really get hungry, I think of food but then something else occupies my mind and next thing I know, hours have passed. I am also generally keto, and the two things work well together. Also not militant about the keto, I cheat fairly frequently. I don't have issues with energy and hunger for exercise but I think that is because my body is fat adapted and can easily go into ketosis if there are no carbs to burn.

I have read that some evidence shows that IF is good for the immune system, and anecdotally the last year and a half has been the least sick I've been in decades.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Didn't something similar to this topic come up in another thread somewhat recently? I specifically remember DTM talking about skipping meals... Ok not really intermittent fasting, but still..
    IIRC it was in the Nutrition Science thread and the context was weight loss strategies. My main point was that eating healthy can be a big time/money suck and simply not eating requires neither time nor money.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I'm also curious how people fast for 16 hours and aren't hungry or fatigued. How can physically active people keep up with this? Let's say you wake up early for an all day tour/ski, or play in a late night sports league, etc. I just don't see how this meal plan can be sustainable for people who go out and get it. Seems more like a 9-5 couch potato routine for people to drop pounds without actually doing anything. Convince me otherwise...
    You'd be surprised how popular it is among high-level ultra-endurance athletes. The ability to metabolize stored body fat is king for those guys. But, no, this summer when I was bike commuting to work 5 days/week, lifting 3-4 days/week, and averaging 6k-8k of vert per week mountain biking and trail running I was doing the See Food diet, not IF.

I've been doing this for years without even knowing it was a thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

I don't have time for intermittent fasting, so I do the fast fasting thing. Works for me.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

internet fisting

PM Sophie
    watch out for snakes

oh wait, this is about fasting​? sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    It's an honest mistake.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I started IF the day after Thanksgiving really by accident. The first week was just because I was really busy with work thus skipping breakfast and training martial arts a lot trying to get ready for my black belt exam in March. I was only doing 12 hours when I was talking with a co-worker and he mentioned the 16:8 method. I looked into it and decided to give it a go as a strategy to increase my stamina. I also started doing HIIT training again.

The first couple weeks were tough as I was really hungry in the evenings and then mid-morning. I drink green tea which does help with the hunger. Once I got past the first couple weeks it has become easier and now I often go 18 hours of fasting a day. I do keep track of my calories because I am worried that if I restrict my calories to often it may eventually affect my metabolism.

I work out regularly and have found that working out at the end of the fast is giving me my best results. I've lost body fat and some weight, but my strength hasn't gone down and my stamina and cardio has improved especially with sparring and grappling. I try to train 2x a day in and I think I spar better in the middle of my fast than right after my feeding window. I've also been able to minimize the mid-day lull after lunch.

I intermittently fast for about 8 hours each night.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Honeycomb hideout?
    It's not that big.
    Yah, yah, yah.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Also known as not eating breakfast.
    This.

Also, if you're not doing it, or at the very least doing it less, shouldn't it be called "slowing".

Quote Originally Posted by m20adb View Post
    Intermitten slowing sounds like some kind of fetish.
    I see you working but 6/10

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    That’s probably why DSM has not replied.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Fasting is a good idea before fisting
    . . .