Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Good luck with it. For me it was super easy to get into, like I'd been doing it wrong my whole life and this was right. Zero effort required. It's so engrained in me now after ~7 years that I hate days when I have to meet somebody for breakfast or even brunch, it throws me all out of kilter.

I'm still on the IF plan, but must say it's more difficult since I've been working from home with the fridge just ten feet from where I'm sitting nine hour a day!

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I'm still on the IF plan, but must say it's more difficult since I've been working from home with the fridge just ten feet from where I'm sitting nine hour a day!
    same. I don't think I am eating much more overall, but am having a harder time waiting until 1pm. Especially since I work at the dining table and wife and kid eat breakfast right in front of me.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    That’s a huge distraction.

going to give the 16/8 IF a shot ......mornings will be something different on skiing, biking days - maybe cheat a little to get some energy for those activities? just don't like the bonk/sugar drop that i get with no food in my system exercising.

Yes, cheat a little on the early days. I've found that 16/8 causes me to eat less. It's great for work days where I'm more sedentary. If I do something requiring physical activity in the morning, then I don't worry about 16/8 and I eat accordingly, as activity requires fuel. If I eat early and don't do activity then I'm hungry again later anyway and eat too many calories for the day because shifting my 8 to earlier in the day doesn't work for me, or my family. The blood sugar thing.

I've been doing the 16/8 for so long that if I go off it for some reason and eat early I invariably end up paying for it later in the day with blood sugar issues. I'm fine if I stick with the program, even if I end up eating a couple hours late I'm hungry as shit when I do eat but otherwise fine.

It's all good except my wife loves to have a big breakfast, and of course her favorites are all sugary high-carb shit like pancakes and waffles. She'd do it every Sunday if it was only up to her, but maybe once a month or so I knuckle under to keep the peace and I end up unconscious by 2:00 and pounding sugary shit by 5:00 to stop the shaky. The problem is really me, because I love that shit too and I have a hard time saying no, but I prefer to blame her (quietly, very very quietly).

I do 16/8 most days, occasionally more like 20/4, and occasionally eat in the morning. I don't experience anything different when I do eat in the morning, but I also mostly eat very low carb (sometimes low enough to be keto, sometimes not).
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    going to give the 16/8 IF a shot ......mornings will be something different on skiing, biking days - maybe cheat a little to get some energy for those activities? just don't like the bonk/sugar drop that i get with no food in my system exercising.
    Are you skiing and biking in high output zones? Going all out up and down? Or more slow and steady for longer periods with maybe some higher intensity here and there?

I’ve found I can go for extended periods, (4+ hours after 12-16 hours of not eating), without needing any food for fuel if I’m staying slow and steady on a skin track,hiking, light jogs or resort skiing on days that aren’t powder days.

Using body fat for fuel does work if you train the body to do it. If you’re spinning resort powder day laps or you happen to be riding a bike or skinning you a steep slope AND you want to move a fast as you are able to, you prolly should cheat and eat. I go straight carbs for those days. Minimal fat and protein. Spuds, rice cakes and a little honey, etc..

Been working for me over the past 4 years since I started using fasting protocols. (3-5 days a week usually. Vary length. 14-22ish hours).

You guys have ruined me. I keep seeing this thread as:

Intermittent Fisting
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Are you skiing and biking in high output zones? Going all out up and down? Or more slow and steady for longer periods with maybe some higher intensity here and there?

I’ve found I can go for extended periods, (4+ hours after 12-16 hours of not eating), without needing any food for fuel if I’m staying slow and steady on a skin track,hiking, light jogs or resort skiing on days that aren’t powder days.

Using body fat for fuel does work if you train the body to do it. If you’re spinning resort powder day laps or you happen to be riding a bike or skinning you a steep slope AND you want to move a fast as you are able to, you prolly should cheat and eat. I go straight carbs for those days. Minimal fat and protein. Spuds, rice cakes and a little honey, etc..
    Same exact experience for me. I've skinned into a hut, with a 35lb pack on, without having eaten a damn thing that day, with no issue. But that's slow burn slogging. When I go mt biking (not slow grinds but steep climbs), I flame out my short burst energy (glycogen supply?) pretty quickly and then feel kinda gassed. But on easier rides, with easier climbs, no issue.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post

Intermittent Fisting
    Name:  yesss-kip-napoleon-dynamite.gif
Views: 399
Size:  311.4 KB

Intermittent Fisting
    Hey there. You wouldn't be the first. https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...tent%20fisting

I feel like after a few years of this my body has adjusted as have my hunger pangs and their timing. Like, I don't get how you could possibly go back to three squares at their normal times on weekends. On vacations sometimes this just happens for short stretches, but I couldn't do it that regularly. Extreme quantity differential!

And, after a few years a cheat here and there probably won't set you back much if at all. I fuel up before ski days whether or not they're higher output. Hasn't made me gain any weight.

Been working for me over the past 4 years since I started using fasting protocols. (3-5 days a week usually. Vary length. 14-22ish hours).
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Intermittent Fisting
    I look at the title and think it sounds about as realistic effective as trying to practice "Intermittent Alcoholism".
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Intermittent Fisting
    I think our friend Sophie was the one really ruined by it

Intermittent Fisting
    What would Freud say about that?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I've moved to 20-21 hr. fasts Monday, Wednesday and Friday with no fasting Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. I will also toss in a 24 hr fast every so often. I'm finding it hard to not fast, and I will still fast for 16 or more hrs on my non-fasting days if I'm busy, but try not to do that too much. I needed the change because I think my body had adjusted to daily fasting of 18/6.

Intermittent Fasting

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Same exact experience for me. I've skinned into a hut, with a 35lb pack on, without having eaten a damn thing that day, with no issue. But that's slow burn slogging. When I go mt biking (not slow grinds but steep climbs), I flame out my short burst energy (glycogen supply?) pretty quickly and then feel kinda gassed. But on easier rides, with easier climbs, no issue.

Name:  yesss-kip-napoleon-dynamite.gif
Views: 399
Size:  311.4 KB
    If you stay under your lactate threshold while fasted and your body is fat adapted, you should be able to continue for many hours at that slow burn pace. Even the the skinniest folks have enough body fat to burn for quite some time.

So in my experience, IF you’re exercising to lose body fat then using the hiit strategy, especially a full body hiit sessions or even hypertrophic lifting while fasted can work wonders. Breaking the fast with lean protein or sometimes carbs alone, followed by a meal with higher fats, proteins and possibly carbs an hour or two later should work.

Now I ain’t the all knowing on this shit but if you follow these simple rules when training, (not to lose fat but to perform the best at the things you love and to prevent injury):

1. Always carve out time in the week to train slow endurance, fasted.
    2. Target difficult strength, ( not 12 reps! That’s body building, Zumba shit…which is fine but for another post), fed. My best results have come from fasting until right before a workout. Small amt of lean carbs, maybe an aapl, rice cake, plain potato, 30min before. Then eat a meal, whatever that may look like for you, after that session.
    3. Train intervals, (Indoor HIIT, fartleks, intervals etc..), in a mix of fed and fasted states and increase as you get closer to the season your training for.
    4. Don’t fast too much. The body gets used to that shit. It is also, for me more difficult to eat three squares a lot and fast. You might be different. I find it best to indulge in three squares just a couple days a week or target those to training. I would suggest avoiding the perma 16-8 all the time gig. Throw a wrench in the system sometimes.

Disclaimer: I eat a reasonably low carb diet except when I intentionally stop for a while or decide to indulge which is necessary for me to stay sane and healthy long term. This approach works for me. Might not for everyone. I do eat carbs but they are right before and or after an extremely taxing workout or outdoor pursuit.

If I skin or hike with someone going balls out all day I’ll eat accordingly. Fasting is awesome. Changed my life. I can focus work calls, outdoor stuff and family things during the window of not eating and have great success. I also eat a shit load of food on fasted days. When eating 1.5-2 meals in a 3-5 hour window, it’s game on.

What’s the evidence behind throwing a wrench in on purpose? What’s the consequence to ones body being used to 16:8?

Not bring rhetorical - I’m curious.
    Last edited by bennymac; 12-20-2021 at 11:05 PM.

Intermittent Fasting

If you stay under your lactate threshold while fasted and your body is fat adapted, you should be able to continue for many hours at that slow burn pace. Even the the skinniest folks have enough body fat to burn for quite some time.

Small correction on this.

Aerobic Threshhold (AeT) not lactate threshold is where carbs to fat use in energy production is 50/50. You can still “bonk” out of glycogen at AeT within several hours without fueling. Generally the body will throttle down to a FatMax level where like 90% of energy is produced from fat/aerobic respiration.

But generally a bit below AeT is the “all day” level of activity sans fuel.

Lactate threshhold is where the body is using essentially 100% glycogen in anaerobic respiration. This is a very short-term place unless fueled adequately and even then the body has trouble taking in enough fuel to fully replace at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    What’s the evidence behind throwing a wrench in on purpose? What’s the consequence to ones body being used to 16:8?
    Not sure I understand the question. Are you saying, what's the consequence of going off the schedule when when you're used to 16:8? If so, it messes me up but what I eat when I go off the schedule is probably bigger than the going-off-the-schedule part itself.

Or is that the question?

No sorry I mean just the opposite. Someone upthread seemed to be promoting the idea of occasionally on purpose going off 16:8 (or whatever) back to 3 square meals a day so that your body doesn’t get used to 16:8.

My question was what is the downside to ignoring that advice and just always being 16:8 (ie what is the consequence of your body “getting used to” it)

Is it truly intermittent if following a schedule? Let me know of you have other nits worth picking..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Intermittent as in “not continuous”

But you already knew that

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    No sorry I mean just the opposite. Someone upthread seemed to be promoting the idea of occasionally on purpose going off 16:8 (or whatever) back to 3 square meals a day so that your body doesn’t get used to 16:8.

My question was what is the downside to ignoring that advice and just always being 16:8 (ie what is the consequence of your body “getting used to” it)
    I've read two opinions on that question. One is as long as you take in the required calories for your body then you should be able to take advantage of the benefits of fasting for 16 hrs. The other opinion is that your body will recognize the 16 hr. fast as normal and adjust accordingly. That could lead to a slow down in your metabolism to compensated for the lack of energy intake during the fast.

I have no idea if either opinion is correct, but for me I did notice "diminishing returns" from constant daily fasting. I said earlier in the thread I started fasting for 12 hrs before I went to 16/8 fasts and had good luck. I then increased them to 18/6 fasts until I stopped noticing the benefits. My conscious response was to increase my fasts to 20+ hrs and I still didn't get the same benefits as I was used to when I started. I moved to alternate day fasting with some longer (24+ hr) fast sprinkled in and I'm starting to notice the benefits again. One downside for me is that the fasting days aren't as easy as they were when I was doing it everyday, but maybe that's a good thing.