Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    All that buildup and no photo, at least?

Appears you got very sick

That's all you got?

And now NE Nevada gets even more snow this year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nsm_swe_2013020905_Great_Basin.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	132295

did some one say wells? got 2 good whore houses over there!!!!! ski bum specials and 2 fer one deals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any clue on avalanche conditions in the Jarbidge? I'm guessing similar structure to the Wasatch, probably a little weaker due to a thinner snowpack? I really wanna get out there this weekend but I doubt i'll have a partner

How was the snow in Terminal Cancer. Was there any serious concern about cornice build up?

Thinking about a trip soon.

Rollin solo in Northern Nevada:

Fuck I love Nevada. Originally planned to check out Jarbidge, but upon calling the gas station in town I was told the road from Elko was closed and the owner rather forcefully suggested not to come. So I checked out other ranges in northern Nevada. No names cuz there was more traffic than I expected(but still not much) and part of the fun is exploring and figuring things out yourself. Day one consisted of driving out from SLC and lots of two lanes and dirt roads looking for access. Found some good spots but the approach was too long for a afternoon trip. Ended up at the main canyon into the range, which had a cool ranch town with a good bar/restaurant at the base. I'll take local cowboys and miners chatting and drinking beers over a bunch of ski bros yapping about their awesomeness any day.

No snowmobile meant my Tacoma was turned into a pseudo-snowcat. Did good aired down and chained up:

Name:	PICT0025.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	132899

Trying to pull this guy out of a ditch. Took a snowcat to finally yank him out:

Name:	PICT0024.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	132900

Eventually the road closed to passenger vehicles. A sled would've been pretty nice, but at least there was good scenery:

Name:	PICT0027.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	132901

Turned up a side canyon, where there was plenty of terrain and snow:

Name:	PICT0032.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	132902

The treed subridge in the foreground was fun:

Name:	PICT0033.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	132904

Nearing the top:

Name:	PICT0037.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	132905

So much to ski:

Name:	PICT0039.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	132907

Name:	PICT0042.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	958.7 KB 
ID:	132908

I skied the open area in the foreground, there were two guys booting towards the chutes along the ridge as well:

Name:	PICT0041.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	132909

Being by myself and without a snowmobile while on a short trip meant I only scratched the surface of just one mountain range in this spectacular area. The wide-open spaces and ruggedness is very appealing to me, living in a large city can be overwhelming. I plan on being back many more times.
    Last edited by claymond; 02-17-2013 at 02:17 PM.

fun stop on the road trip

powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by claymond View Post
    Rollin solo in Northern Nevada:

No names cuz there was more traffic than I expected(but still not much) and part of the fun is exploring and figuring things out yourself.
    Come on, every picture of this thread is of the Ruby's.

No names cuz there was more traffic than I expected(but still not much) and part of the fun is exploring and figuring things out yourself.
    Oh man where is that?

I gotta know!!

I totally can't tell!

Sorry. I gots the tourettes. I actually do respect anyone who simultaneously puts up photos on the internet while pretending to be discrete.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by VC View Post
    Come on, every picture of this thread is of the Ruby's.
    Couldn't be the Ruby's. Everyone knows the only line worth hitting out there is Terminal Cancer.

Anyway, it seemed like many people wished that this area wasn't publicized, so I respected that. Someone wrote a trip report about it this year doing the same thing. If you know where the pictures are, than you were obviously already aware of what the area offers. There's lots of mountain ranges in Nevada that look fun. I don't see a reason to give specific locations. Get off the interstate when you see something cool and try to find a way to it.

I want to explore GBNP. Nevada has a lot more going on than just the Ruby's I think.

...living in a large city can be overwhelming...
    Nice TR, and I agree with everything that you said except this, assuming it pertains to SLC.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    I want to explore GBNP. Nevada has a lot more going on than just the Ruby's I think.
    Yes. Lots of remote ranges i'd like to see

Yeah, I don't know what the answer is. We've seen this debate in the Tahoe thread before.

Side A: Some folks seem to think that posting photos and TRs is inherently vain and selfish. They believe that publicizing certain spots on the Internet is likely to bring in an influx of web-surfing strangers, and they're probably right in this regard.

Side B: Other folks believe that photos and TRs are fun to put together and constitute much of what makes this place worth visiting. They may also believe that it's selfish not to help others, since many of us benefited from such online guidance in the past.

Personally, I like seeing photos/TRs and occasionally posting them myself. But I respect the fact that a lot of people don't like their particular spots publicized either. Posting photos without specifying the exact locations ("pretending to be discrete"?) seems like a reasonable compromise.

What's the answer, woo?