Steens/Warner Mountains Beta

So I'll be in Idaho in the next few weeks for work stuff and I plan on meandering back home after after meeting my dad over at the Steens. I'm very familiar with the area but have never visited in the winter. I'm looking for some beta on any mellow ski touring lines that can be done from the Frenchglen side, starting from where the loop road closes, or possibly beyond as we may have some access. All touring, no snow machine. Going to leave the east side for another trip. Any info would be appreciated, pm if necessary.

Also going to come by Lakeview on the way home. I know about Warner Canyon Ski area, any advice on touring in that vicinity? I assume we can at least tour up the runs when it's closed during the week and maybe access some goods beyond there?

Appreciate any help, will share a TR if I find anything worthy.

Please post pics if you do anything up there. Been looking at the steens for a while

Not sure what you will find on the Glen side this time of year. I've only skied there after the road is open in summer but I've always thought hitting it from the desert side in winter would be sick. That said I still haven't sacked up to make that trip, enough close calls during summer to make winter trips somewhat intimidating. That is, re steens. No beta for Warner, and the only people I know in Lakeview prefer horses to skis

X2 for wanting to know more about both areas.

Hugh Conway Guest
    definitely post pics. never been, would like to go. Filed this away in the links to places to go repository long ago:
    http://noether.uoregon.edu/~ptallen/...te/steens.html

spook Guest
    been there in summer, it's gorgeous. i can definitely see why someone would want to ride it. of course, that was before all the propane tanks they put at the top (so i heard anyway).

Had dinner with Brian O'keefe last night, he's got a place near Frenchglenn. Should be no issue getting a key and permit to drive the loop road to the snow line. Sounds like the Glen side is mostly meadow skipping but quite few locals ski it and some folks drop some more aggressive lines into the gorges. Anybody know if they ever completed the paving of Field's Denio Road on the east side?

The restaurant in French Glen used to be run by a guy who built chairlifts. I think his name is Lance. I remember his wife's name was Missy. He had some local knowledge.

I stopped at Warner Mountain this past summer while firefighting up in that area. Are you driving from Denio to Lakeview? There's a pass that drops down to the desert floor that would be good for road laps if it has the snow. Here's a pic from near the top.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    The restaurant in French Glen used to be run by a guy who built chairlifts. I think his name is Lance. I remember his wife's name was Missy. He had some local knowledge.

I stopped at Warner Mountain this past summer while firefighting up in that area. Are you driving from Denio to Lakeview? There's a pass that drops down to the desert floor that would be good for road laps if it has the snow. Here's a pic from near the top.
    If I remember right Lance and Missy split, Missy was still around running the Buckaroo Room but I think it finally sold. Thanks for the beta on the pass from Denio to Lakeview, vaguely remember it.

Anyone skied Warner yet? I drove by it last month. I would have guessed it was an old closed resort driving by but it had a brand new sign out front.

From that area to Winnemucca was one of the loneliest lower 48 roads I've ever done. It was rad. How's Steen for winter b.c chute skiing? Looks possibly thin and variable. I bet some real winter winds go through that area. I wanted to drive to the top but it seemed pointless with all the smoke. Maybe next summer.

here you go . I trust this guys opinion.
    https://bengoesskiing.wordpress.com/...eens-mountain/
    off your knees Louie

wobby is the guy you want to talk to. he adventures all over the basin and range. here's something from the steens last year in poor conditions
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...00#post6205200
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    definitely post pics. never been, would like to go. Filed this away in the links to places to go repository long ago:
    http://noether.uoregon.edu/~ptallen/...te/steens.html
    web archive link for the curious: https://web.archive.org/web/20060902...te/steens.html

We took a wrong turn onto Fields-Denio Road, instead of 205, during a March road trip in 2006. Blew a tire midway up the gravel on F-D Road - didnt have any food or water, started to freak out a bit because we had no clue where we were, but eventually made it to Bend that night. Always have wanted to go back and ski those steeps!

Thanks guys. I thought conditions there would always be like what Wobby found but Oli's posts are promising. Either way is fine with me.

Good to see overpriced shitholes are not exclusive to Seattle: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...86322541_zpid/