Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    I hadn't spotted that in my first viewing but after you pointed out were to look (I was looking for rotation in the base plate) it's definately noticable.

I've got a pair in my shop at the moment & I've taken pdf's of the mounting templates so if anyone wants 'em just PM me your email address & I'll send 'em. I've just PM'd jondrums re adding them to his template thread & I've given him the screw spec for his inserts. The one's I have are the prototypes that are currently undergoing user/beta testing but I'm informed (hopefully reliably) that the mount locations won't change.

The mounting footprint is different from those of the Radical but clashes on all four toe locations & the front two heel locations so installing the binding on skis predrilled for Radicals (& therefore the old Verticals) will need some fore/aft adjustment etc. If you have non EPF Duke/Baron/Tour inserts then the rear two heel holes on the Beast are still 36mm apart so will still align with the inserts like those on the Rad/Verts but I've only measured the location widths & haven't yet checked to see how this would effect the fore/aft positioning etc.

I've got pretty much every jig in my shop so if anyone wants me to check how the Beast lines up with their exsiting binding just post here.
    Thanks for measuring. I didn't have the jigs to check.

I think you'd see actual rotation if it was a big sideways force but I was pretty convinced if I hipchecked a big icy mogul that I'd lose the camera so settled for small hits. Looks like smalls hits == small deflection ; which kind of intuitively makes sense.

nice write-up Lee, thanks

Thread drift...
    Those overlords look very nice as well.
    What length are you skiing, and how do you find them?
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Great review. I've got a prototype pair in my shop at the moment & although I haven't skied them it certainly takes a lot of pressure to release the toe. The tour mode lever on my binding also sits very flush on the ski but I hadn't considered how tricky it would be to raise with a gloved hand - nice spot.

I've also noted quite a bit of vertical play of the heel binding on it's track that doesn't tighten up when the boot's installed. The mounting template that was supplied with the binding was also quite a bit out & actually mounted the binding at +7mm when positioned on the line. As it's such a pricey binding I reckon a lot of owners will use QK/BF inserts to share it across other skis however, when the heel's mounted using its template positioned on the line & with the fwd pressure correctly set, the mounting screw heads are partly covered by the binding's chassis meaning that if you want to swap the binding across defferent skis you'll have to adjust the fwd pressure each time - this is the same as current Dynafit heelpieces as the jig is designed to give equal fore/aft length adjustment when mounted. By locating the Beast's heel template at -8.5mm it'll position the binding so that it's mounting screws are centred in the chassis holes when the fwd pressure is correctly set & still allow the heel binding to be adjusted forward 11mm or 15mm rearward following a boot sole length change. I've sent the info to Frederik so hopefully the template/jig will be adjusted prior to launch.

The delta on my binding is 3mm with both a Cochise & a Titan boot which is less than the 6mm quoted in the spec - which is a good thing as most of my Dyna customers request toe shims to remove/minimise the delta.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beast 16 Prototype Template Adjustment - reduced W600.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	137476
    Last edited by Spyderjon; 09-02-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks Jon/ I know Fred is super receptive so that's much appreciated

Skiing impressions

http://www.tetongravity.com/reviews/...355.htm?src=fb

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    nice write-up Lee, thanks

Thread drift...
    Those overlords look very nice as well.
    What length are you skiing, and how do you find them?
    188 Overlords. Wow. I can run over everything

Some updated data coming out on the production model for the Beast.

http://www.wildsnow.com/10703/beast-...etail-changes/

Backcountry.com has a page up for this now: http://www.backcountry.com/sc/dynafit-beast-16-binding
    They are only selling the Beast if you buy a boot AND ski package from them. Seems like a real dick move to take advantage of limited stock.

Oh well, happy to let guinea pigs test the over priced first run of these anyway.

no, its becuase dynafit will not let any retailers sell the binding online otherwise, since the boot has to be modified.

if you shop in-store at a dealer, i am sure there is no such stipulation, but all online vendors will have the same deal.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    no, its becuase dynafit will not let any retailers sell the binding online otherwise, since the boot has to be modified.

if you shop in-store at a dealer, i am sure there is no such stipulation, but all online vendors will have the same deal.
    Why require you to buy the ski and not just the boot then?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TGR Forums

It's the similar here in Yurp where Dynafit won't supply online only dealers - dealers can sell 'em online but to receive a supply they have to bricks'n'mortar premises & also buy skis, boots & bindings from Dynafit. Backcountry.com must have some buying power with Dynafit to get 100 out of the 850 going to the US.

The UK's only getting 25 pairs out of which I'm getting 5, all of which I've pre-sold. I offered my supply to regular customers, all but one of which already had tech boots. They could just buy the bindings only if they wanted, however all of them had already planned to buy new skis as well. Other dealers I know are selling them on the same basis.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Why require you to buy the ski and not just the boot then?

Basically the beast is not avail to sell online, by anyone, anywhere in the world. By bc.com requiring a ski/boot/binding, they are then integrating their "ski shop" to mount the bindings. I think its the only way bc.com can actually sell them and comply with dynafit terms.
    Last edited by marshalolson; 09-09-2013 at 09:51 AM.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

That will be an interesting lesson in supply and demand. Wonder how many hard core skiers are willing or able to throw down $2-3K for that entire set up - or whether all the dentists and folks training for AK will be rocking a set up that won't be used as intended.

For that price, I'll wait for the tech to trickle down and accept the every so often toe release.

Basically the beast is not avail to sell online, by anyone, anywhere in the world. By bc.com requiring a ski/boot/binding, they are then integrating their "ski shop" to mount the bindings. I think its the only way bc.com can actually sell them and comply with dynafit terms.
    Gonna make for an interesting test of the BC.com guarantee. I'd like to return these skis and bindings that you mounted. The mounts are .5 mm different.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    That will be an interesting lesson in supply and demand. Wonder how many hard core skiers are willing or able to throw down $2-3K for that entire set up - or whether all the dentists and folks training for AK will be rocking a set up that won't be used as intended.
    At that price and limited supply I'm curious if they'll use Ferrari math. aka production over stated numbers. would make shops happy

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    At that price and limited supply I'm curious if they'll use Ferrari math.
    And like Ferraris they'll be mostly bought by people that never actually use them for what they're supposed to be designed to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

You'll still be able to buy the binding only, just not online. Pick up the phone and call a Dynafit dealer, I'm sure they will ship them.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    [...]The UK's only getting 25 pairs out of which I'm getting 5, all of which I've pre-sold. I offered my supply to regular customers, all but one of which already had tech boots. They could just buy the bindings only if they wanted, however all of them had already planned to buy new skis as well.[...]
    Will your customers' Beast-retrofitted boots now be incompatible with any other bindings, whether "Tech" or heel-clamp style?
    WildSnow.com is essentially asserting this ... though not emphasizing it much.
    (Not that I was personally planning on buying bindings that weigh more than any of my boots ...)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Lee,
    You skiing the Vulcans or the Mercurys typically? Did you ever manage to conquer the 'flex' of the Vulcan?
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Will your customers' Beast-retrofitted boots now be incompatible with any other bindings, whether "Tech" or heel-clamp style?
    you will need to re-adjust the heel of a vertical/radical for use with the beast's horseshoe, as the horseshoe rubs against the heel piece when skinning on flats.

it is not clear, however, if this adjustment makes the binding release "correct" or "worse". i.e. if the pin insertion is correct once adjusted for clearance.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    You'll still be able to buy the binding only, just not online. Pick up the phone and call a Dynafit dealer, I'm sure they will ship them.
    That's correct. There's absolutely no requirement from Dynafit for bricks'n'mortar dealers to only supply the Beasts with skis &/or boots.

you will need to re-adjust the heel of a vertical/radical for use with the beast's horseshoe, as the horseshoe rubs against the heel piece when skinning on flats.

it is not clear, however, if this adjustment makes the binding release "correct" or "worse". i.e. if the pin insertion is correct once adjusted for clearance.
    Dunno what the official lineon this is from Dynafit but I've emailed them & asked.

For that price, I'll wait for the tech to trickle down and accept the every so often toe release.
    i'm pretty happy to let the skirrari crew figure out if the beast is a plus or a bust.
    b

Wonder how many hard core skiers are willing or able to throw down $2-3K for that entire set up - or whether all the dentists and folks training for AK will be rocking a set up that won't be used as intended.

And how is that different then most gear the magazine ads and shops are pushing?
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    WildSnow.com is essentially asserting this ... though not emphasizing it much.
    (Not that I was personally planning on buying bindings that weigh more than any of my boots ...)
    What Marshal said. They'll work. Tested on Fritschi, Marker, Comfort, Vertical

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Lee,
    You skiing the Vulcans or the Mercurys typically? Did you ever manage to conquer the 'flex' of the Vulcan?
    ?? Not sure what you mean. Vulcans typically