Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    shouldn´t the black lockinglever be pushed down to the topsheet for it to engage properly...

Could it be due to the shim that you have the binding mounted on?

Quote Originally Posted by suntoucher View Post
    shouldn´t the black lockinglever be pushed down to the topsheet for it to engage properly...
    Yes. Although if the lever isn't pushed down all the way the toe piece also rotates. FWIW my binding doesn't do what is shown in your video if the lever is flush to the ski
    Last edited by LeeLau; 01-22-2014 at 05:12 PM.

The lever needs to be flush to the ski for it to fully pass into the mechanism that locks the toe piece, could be why.

Quote Originally Posted by Fejau View Post
    The lever needs to be flush to the ski for it to fully pass into the mechanism that locks the toe piece, could be why.
    I don't see how that can be done - Here's another video. Perhaps they were mounted wrong? That plastic piece prevents the bar from going flush - but also prevents the toe piece from rotating. If I press any further it would break. Can someone send a picture of that black piece on their mount so I can bring that to the shop? Upon further review they might have mounted that forward separate black piece backwards? Before I work on this I would appreciate some guidance.

Last edited by powholic; 01-22-2014 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by powholic View Post
    I don't see how that can be done - I'll shoot another video. Perhaps they were mounted wrong? That plastic piece prevents the bar from going flush - but also prevent the toe piece from rotating. If I press any further it would break. Video coming shortly.
    Need a picture but it sounds like someone fucked up the mount for you

This is what it should look like - Beast proto and Beast production - both mounted by Escape Route

Yep - they did. thanks for the pic - they put that black piece in wrong spot or just backwards. I'll let them figure that out tomorrow.

Thank for the help - this should solve the issue - part of being a guinea pig, expensive guinea pig.

Well that sucks. That could have messed you up really badly

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Well that sucks. That could have messed you up really badly
    True - I'm lucky I tested things out before really using them in dicey situations.

Your toe piece is mounted correctly but the black piece was mounted too far backwards, as they are two different pieces. It baffles me how they could fuck that up since once the Beast jig is aligned, must off been brought backwards during the drilling by accident. Definitely bring e'm back to the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Fejau View Post
    Your toe piece is mounted correctly but the black piece was mounted too far backwards, as they are two different pieces. It baffles me how they could fuck that up since once the Beast jig is aligned, must off been brought backwards during the drilling by accident. Definitely bring e'm back to the shop.
    I think the black piece was put on 180 degrees the wrong way too - or maybe only that. I have two fangs pointing at the tips and LeeLau has a flat front panel facing forward. If I rotate that separate black piece 180 degrees it might do the job - I'll let you know tomorrow.

I agree the toe piece is mounted correctly - just the separate black piece is fucked up

Haha, thanks guys, mine was indeed mounted incorrectly too, the black toe piece is rotated 180 degrees Yuck!

This comparison clearly shows how you can pole-release the toes on the prototype version while in climbing mode, but on the production version you can't.

I wonder why this change was made?

Pete

Need a picture but it sounds like someone fucked up the mount for you

This is what it should look like - Beast proto and Beast production - both mounted by Escape Route

Can't you still depress the silver bar? Haven't tried it myself - will have a go in my shop tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Can't you still depress the silver bar? Haven't tried it myself - will have a go in my shop tomorrow.
    Nope. Doesn't work

So rotating that black piece 180 degrees did the job. Heard from a couple shops there weren't directions with the binders. 50/50 guess on that piece and it prevented the toe from rotating. Being new I can't blame them too much. Glad others can learn from this

So rotating that black piece 180 degrees did the job. Heard from a couple shops there weren't directions with the binders. 50/50 guess on that piece and it prevented the toe from rotating. Being new I can't blame them too much. Glad others can learn from this
    If only there were Escape Route's all throughout North America

sorry but if you look at the piece and the way the toe works for 2 seconds and think it should be a nobrainer... glad it´s resolved though

Quote Originally Posted by suntoucher View Post
    sorry but if you look at the piece and the way the toe works for 2 seconds and think it should be a nobrainer... glad it´s resolved though
    20/20 hindsight. The lever did go forward and the lever did lock the toe piece from rotating. It even made a click/locking sounds when engaged in lock position with the plastic piece the wrong way. Being i never saw these before and only watched video I/we didn't realize that extra 1/2" of depression to the ski made the difference in locking the springs out for the toe pincers. Hard to see that 1/2" difference in videos - plus you assume the shop did it right. Mechanically that's all hidden under plastic.

Check your toe pins!

Here's what I noticed today (it may have been a gradual process, I'm not sure?):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (4).JPG Beast toe normal.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	1,022.8 KB 
ID:	149201

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (3).JPG 
Views:	443 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	149202

The first pic shows the toe pin on one binding that appears normal. The second pic shows a toe pin that is pulling out towards the center of the binding.

I noticed it just as I was heading up the lift this morning, so I had a very short ski day. I brought them back where I bought them, and my tech simply smacked it with a hammer, and suggested I try super gluing it so it doesn't want to meander out again. I was tempted to try this fix, but I figured I would let someone else do something to my super expensive, under warranty bindings.

I'll be checking the pins regularly from here on out.

I did have an unwanted toe release from the affected binding the last time I was out. I took a small air onto an unexpectedly icy slope, and I went into a slide/traverse for awhile, where I could not get an edge completely, and then one ski was off on it's own. So, perhaps I yanked the pin out then?

I asked the shop guy if he had seen this in other dynafits, and he said he had never seen it before.

I've been mostly happy with their performance prior to this "failure." They are a little finicky when the temps are warm enough to melt snow, and have it refreeze in the whole toe mechanism. The space in the toepiece acts as a good spot for snow and ice to build up, and then the moving parts get kind of stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by greasyslope View Post
    They are a little finicky when the temps are warm enough to melt snow, and have it refreeze in the whole toe mechanism. The space in the toepiece acts as a good spot for snow and ice to build up, and then the moving parts get kind of stuck.
    I've noticed this too. Could get a little worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by BrainDamage View Post
    This comparison clearly shows how you can pole-release the toes on the prototype version while in climbing mode, but on the production version you can't.

I wonder why this change was made?

Pete
    Just tried releasing a Beast whilst the toe was in fully locked/tour mode & it definitely does release when you press your pole on top of the silver crossbar as pictured below. It's gonna be fiddly to do in the field but it is possible. My poles have teeth on the tips that conveniently slot either side of the bar so gripping it securely without skidding off & I was able to open the binding when applying pressure from a number of different angles.

Mine have points. However, it might be possible to do it using the end of my grip.
    Last edited by BrainDamage; 01-27-2014 at 10:04 AM.

Tried to work my toe jaws open like peds did. No luck which i guess is good luck.

Thanks for that jon. Doesn't seem like it will be easy to hit that little silver bar.

Tried to work my toe jaws open like peds did. No luck which i guess is good luck.

Thanks for that jon. Doesn't seem like it will be easy to hit that little silver bar.
    Agreed. Definitely worth the trouble of dremeling a little cross notch in your pole tip though.