Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    for a beta tester you don't just need a fat kid, you need somebody who fucks up everything they touch some people are good at this and its not just weight

You calling me a kid? WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    Touring on flats with heel risers up sucks, no matter what the ROM of your boots. Creates weird angulations at the ankle and still uses more quad muscles than it should Like trying to walk around on tip-toes.
    Walk in high heels for practice?

https://www.tetongravity.com/blogs/Dy...st-6498113.htm

Article up. Lazy webdude went skiing and it went late. Guess I can,t complain as I did the same thing. Pls read and ill check in later for qs

Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
    Walk in high heels for practice?
    Will doesn't talk about that

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    https://www.tetongravity.com/blogs/Dy...st-6498113.htm

Article up. Lazy webdude went skiing and it went late. Guess I can,t complain as I did the same thing. Pls read and ill check in later for qs
    Good info.

So no DIN adjustment on the toe. How's that supposed to work. Does it default to a DIN of 16 or what?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

It's expensive to be a heavy skier on tour......

No more option to ski with the toe fully locked?

hmmm that will now be a true test of a tech toe in nasty terrain.

Flipping the lever forward locks the toe into tour mode, no?

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    So no DIN adjustment on the toe. How's that supposed to work. Does it default to a DIN of 16 or what?
    Lateral release is at the heel, not at the toe like virtually all DH bindings.

OK lots of questions so going to wade thru them

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    How about a picture of the toe piece open?

Does the toe lockout for touring like what we are used to?
    Scotty I brainfarted on that. Will try to take a picture but am out tomorrow too. I've got a shot of the binding in tour mode (ie black lever on toe flipped down but I don't think that's what you want).

The youtube video by evo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Y27pb9jFObA) shows the go to tour mode mech and the binding open fyi

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Is that 935 gram weight claim valid lee?
    With 135 mm brakes measures at 948. I think maybe 935 is with smaller brakes? I weighed with screws. JohnS will be proud - I'm not scamming Sharons kitchen scale anymore and bought an electronic scale

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Hard to tell but does this not have a flat tour mode? Just the first (dark grey) riser?
    Yah the first grey riser and see BigSteve;s observation

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    Will we be locked into a choice of Dynafit boots only due to new Patents? Any word on whether or not Dynafit will be letting other boot makers use their new system?
    Nope they are providing the heel retrofits to other bootmakers

Quote Originally Posted by reynolds.trailrun View Post
    First question I have, is the DIN of the toe adjustable or is it like the tlt models with some preset equivalent in ski mode?

And I have to agree with some others, it looks ugly as hell, at least the heel piece looks like shit.
    Oh yah its ugly. Terminator like almost. As per article toe is preset springiness and not DIN adjustable

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Always a good question. Looks like it does not, although eyeballing the pics suggests that the lowest climbing bar might put the flattest touring ramp delta around 20mm?????, i.e., not that much different than flat Vert or Radical ST/FT. Not the sort of binding that would be used much for tours with long flat stretches, where the Speed Classic will continue be the tits. Also, the huge fore-aft touring ROM of TLT5, One series and Maestrales makes a flat touring mode a bit less necessary.
    Exactly but I didn;t measure the riser height. To be honest I'm not crazy about the risers. Its very Onyx like and I didn't like those but maybe it'll grow on me with use

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Good info.

I don't have any way to measure the toe spring tension. But not adjustable

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    No more option to ski with the toe fully locked?

hmmm that will now be a true test of a tech toe in nasty terrain.
    You can ski with it locked. Can't see why not. I'll let pow11 do that if he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Flipping the lever forward locks the toe into tour mode, no?

Lateral release is at the heel, not at the toe like virtually all DH bindings.
    Yet again Steve's basically nailing it.

Ok so all this is cool and great and I'm glad I got to stare at a bunch of pictures. There is an elephant in the room though. My understanding of my dynafit radicals (and from what I can gather, every dynafit toe) is that the Release Value pegs somewhere around a 7.5 with the toe unlocked. Elasticity does not make this suddenly go away. I thought for sure this was going to be the tech binding that allowed me to ski how I'd like, toes unlocked. I'm beginning to think that this may not be true.

What would it take to get a number pegged to this new toe? Does anyone think they might be able to test this? IMO this might be the single most important fact yet to be confirmed about this binding. If it's not above 10, I am no longer interested in any way and am perfectly happy with current dynafit. I really hope it's been raised significantly, otherwise what's the point of a 16 heel?

My first reaction: These are only slightly lighter than Marker Tours. Obviously, if you are doing lots of skinning this is still a huge difference.

For spring missions where I'm doing more climbing than skinning (if any skinning at all), I'll keep my real bindings.

This is cool, but not super impressive. I'd rather see the Green Mountain Freeride Binding concept get perfected...

I just don't understand. If you are so rad and so heavy and so strong you need 16 din bindings to ski backcountry, you might as well use dukes. At this point, the Radicals have more than enough useless shit per gram on them. I can tell you, it's not worth it, this shit is heavy and gimmicky enough already. If you are not Seth Morrison or Hoji, you do not need a 16 din tech binding, I promise. Save your money.

Fuck, I wish they would make something like the speed radical but a little wider and with a slightly beefed up heel asseembly... Fuck. I might have been suckered into another 600$ for that, but FUCK, 1000$ so I can blow my knee on something barely lighter than marker tours? hahhahahahaha.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

No sweat LL, went back and looked at the photos you posted and figured out one was with the toe lever open, it just did not show the lever.

THX
    watch out for snakes

Hey Mods, what about changing this forum name from Tech Talk to Hype and Gripe?
    Move upside and let the man go through...

How many maggots actually need a DIN that high?

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    How many maggots actually need a DIN that high?
    less about the DIN and more about the elasticity and such.

Quote Originally Posted by bestskieratsnowbird View Post
    less about the DIN and more about the elasticity and such.
    So it's a $1,000 quiver of one?

I want a binder that's as bulletproof as my turntables, as elastic, reasonably lightweight, flat ramp, just as capable ripping down icy groomers with the kids but can still tour. A quiver binder, that i can take travelling without incurring excess weight penalties. My last foray into ft12s was less than overwhelming, but the Beasts definitely pique my interest. Subscribing.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    So it's a $1,000 quiver of one?
    Yes. As said, the $1k part doesn't appeal, but the quiver of one does. No need or desire for the 16 or even 14, so maybe eventually things will trickle down and there'll be something cheaper. don't really hold my breath though.

Maybe I'm the only one, but this looks like something I'll be happy to let others do the testing on. To much that is new, with out much testing, and a lot of places where things could go wrong. Radicals are working fine for me.

PS, the one time I released from my dynafit radical it was smooth and predictable and felt right on the money as far as the din setting. Another time with my toes on the first locked setting I had such an elastic return to center I was sure my ski came off but there it was, right where I needed it to be. It sucks they're going this direction. All 95% of actual tech binding users want is a simple, wider version of the speed radical under the 819$ plum price tag, how hard is that? The release mechanism is already fine, the only thing that needed improvement was the underbuilt heelpiece and to get rid of the quarter pound gimmick plates. I could care less what trickles down from this behemoth, I wouldn't need any of it.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    All 95% of actual tech binding users want is a simple, wider version of the speed radical under the 819$ plum price tag, how hard is that?
    +1 QFT.