Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast
    So I mounted some beast 16's yesterday. bit of a PITA. Is there no mounting info from dynafit available? Manual says jack shit on mounting. Nor does their website. It's all well now but had a bit of an issue with the crampon clip, and how are you supposed to know how to space the heel wrt the boot? I've heard it's 1 mm but would be nice if dynafit supplied some mounting instructions. Or am I just missing it?

- end of rant -

they should come with a little piece of paper slip. if not... find a slip of paper.
    Put it between the boot's-heelspur and the heelpiece and screw the binding forward on the track until you can 'just' pull out the paper with a bit of resistance, but not enough to tear the paper. pretty quick.

Also don't forget that there are two release-value screws on the heel.

Yeah i kinda got all that, but just from reading TGR. It bothers me that there is no info from dynafit on this. Or maybe there is but only for retailers?

Pretty much all bindings, alpine and touring, come with no instructions, just something saying a certified shop has to mount and adjust them.

Anyone know if/where you can buy parts for Beasts?

I would like some of the little black tabs that lock the toepiece in tour mode to make swapping inserts a little quicker.
    Also wouldn't mind buying some new heels at some point for a pair that is wearing.

These things are awesome. Couple of release but all appropriate. Ski a shitton better than my previous Dukes, and my groin doesn't feel like a gremlin is sticking razor blades in it after a long climb anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Had problems twisting out of my locked toes on both skis. Major frustration.

Never happened before, first time out on them this year. Only thing I did different was to spray a small amount of binding silicon(Toko) on the moving parts and wiped off excess. WTF happened?
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by powtario View Post
    I bought them. This was why. If he can ski them confidently my fat unelegant ass should survive.

Anybody have any play in the heel piece between the rails and the heel unit itself?

I guess new for $530 Cdn peso's I shouldn't be complaining.
    I'm feeling the slightest bit of play on one of my heels. This is after a season and a half on my almost daily drivers. I'd say 100+ days with a lot of inbounds skiing. Certainly not as bad as my dukes

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    Anyone know if/where you can buy parts for Beasts?

I would like some of the little black tabs that lock the toepiece in tour mode to make swapping inserts a little quicker.
    Also wouldn't mind buying some new heels at some point for a pair that is wearing.
    Mine may be for sale soon.
    watch out for snakes

Is there a mounting template for the beast 16. So I can mount my own fucking skis. There's one on the web but it doesn't match up and I don't see where the scaling can be fixed on the printer so don't want to screw it up.

Searched the thread but didn't see it. Thanks.

Really? When I downloaded and print this one out it is short by 10mm on the 100mm true up grid. The cross hatch holes are all off from a dry mount. I didn't change any print settings. What am I missing?

The template by stockholmviews definitely works. You have to print it on a DIN A4 page without scaling. No US formats.

Got it. It defaulted to letter and wasn't off by much.

Just to close the loop in case anyone comes looking: roQer nailed it. DIN A4 setting.

and for this side of the world without A4 paper handy, I've mounted twice using this. I printed with no scaling on legal paper and that worked perfectly.

more recently I've been poking into my local shop and borrowing their bench and jig. Beer helps with that.

You don't need legal or A4 paper.

Just select A4 in your printer properties.

Then select actual size, uncheck chose paper source by pdf page size, landscape.

Print page 2, then rotate the view of page by 180 degrees and print page 1.

You will have all you need.

Am I being an idiot, but how the fuck do you get a screwdriver on the rear heel screws to mount, the heel is in the way.

Also anyone know the total travel of the beast heel, hard to figure without mounting it and I think I have to go back 1cm on the heel to miss some holes and want to make sure I will still be able to get back to my boot length.
    Last edited by CaliBrit; 02-11-2016 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Am I being an idiot, but how the fuck do you get a screwdriver on the rear heel screws to mount, the heel is in the way.

Also anyone know the total travel of the beast heel, hard to figure without mounting it and I think I have to go back 1cm on the heel to miss some holes and want to make sure I will still be able to get back to my boot length.
    Yes, pretty annoying. You can rotate the heel sideways (like the older dynafit heels) to get better access to some of the screws. Still a pain, but slightly less. Dunno about the travel, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post

Beast should be mounted for 5mm less than the length of your boot to have access to the holes right away. Then you can swap skis with just a little adjustment =)

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    Yes, pretty annoying. You can rotate the heel sideways (like the older dynafit heels) to get better access to some of the screws. Still a pain, but slightly less. Dunno about the travel, sorry.
    Ahh yes! Backed the din off and the bit of rotation help, man why didn't they put the screws just a little outboard.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    ...Yes, pretty annoying. You can rotate the heel sideways (like the older dynafit heels) to get better access to some of the screws.
    just an FYI to everyone... you can also do this, + rubber band for the brakes, to give yourself a tour-flat mode.

Pics of flat tour mode setup if you don't mind? Also, how big a pia would it be to switch between this flat tour mode and riser 1?

I'll snap some pics later.
    it's a process to switch. basically would be useful for long approaches and such, but not something you'd want to do regularly.

my buddy bought Ions and mounted inserts into a few of his skis entirely because he didn't have tour-flat on his beasts for a trip... and then face-palm when I showed him what I do.

honestly I've only used it once though so I have no idea if it would be a weird wear/tear issue to do regularly.

Nice pictorial depiction of the Beast's flat tour "mode" in Blister's new Beast 14 review (and a crappy review at that)....: http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...4-at-binding/2
    Last edited by meter-man; 02-12-2016 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Replaced broken link