Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

NE Mags: Best academic/ski college

My daughter is a junior in H.S. All AP classes. A average. Maybe, not quite Dartmouth. She is starting to look at schools. She is fluent in english and german, and conversational in spanish. She excels in math and science. Any thoughts? Right now, she has schools like Bates, Colby and B.C. on obtainable list; UMASS-Amherst, and U. of VT. on her safety list; and Middlebury, Amherst and the BIG D on her reach list.
    Any New England names that she is missing that are worth exploring? C'mon you "Princes of Maine and Kings of New England".
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Williams, Smith, St Lawrence, Hamilton, Hobart.

Dartmouth maybe isn't the place you think it is. I highly advise you investigate the kind of social structure in place.

I'm not saying it isn't a good school but its kinda fucked up....unless you want your kid to be an I -banker.

Bentley has a very well regarded business school and if she is ok with all women Smith is a dark horse.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

JSC for the win!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TGR Forums

If she wants more school (and more driving), Boston is "close" to the mountains. It takes work, but I treated my last year at Northeastern in engineering like a 9-5 and managed to get ~40 days in.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably have done UVM or something like that.

Have you considering home schooling for college?

Not East Coast but better schools (if measured by %age of those going on to get PhD) than any mentioned: Reed or Harvey Mudd.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I am a sophomore at UVM and currently loving it. I can ski 4 days a week and still maintain a 3.5 GPA.

While UVM was my safety after attending a prep school (another stereotypical white upper class student, so I didnt have anything going for me), it in all honesty was one of the better choices for me. However, I applied to Colby, Bates, Bowdoin, Hamilton, Williams, Middlebury, Dartmouth, BC, Amherst, and one other I am forgetting due to their proximity to mountains (would have raced for BC). I suggest you look into SLU, Clarkson, St. Michaels, Colgate(?), Skidmore(?), and UNH for another safety school

Smith + all girls (not an option)
    Not interested in "Business schools" like Hobart or Bentley.
    Not interested in schools in NY (otherwise, she would have considered Colgate and Cornell.
    Williams would be great, but difficult for her background.

She is leaning towards biology or chemistry as a major. Would love a school like Middlebury with strong International Studies and Science departments.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    Williams, Smith, St Lawrence, Hamilton, Hobart.
    None of those are close to (good) skiing. He asked about good academic/skiing colleges. Schindlerpiste, stick with VT/ME/NH or go west.

We live in P.C. I would love for her to go to either the U of U (State school = cheaper), or Colorado College, but she loves the idea of Private Liberal Arts schools near mountains, not west of Mass.

Colby seems a bit rural/preppy, no. I can see that getting "old" really fast.
    Whenever I think of UVT, I think of "Super Troopers". Why, I don't know.

Middlebury is an excellent school. Friends from high school went there and loved the experience. When I went to visit so did I but that is not what you want to hear! Is she looking to ski race or just ski as well as study, party, etc? Not up on the college race scene. I will let others speak to that.

Johson State College - really? Not even close to the caliber of schools as others on this list. With all due respect of course.

Plus, Middlebury has the SnowBowl!!! FTW!!!
    The Passion is in the Risk

It's been a bit since I was in school on the EC, but a few things.

a. It is UVM

b. An expensive college education for the sake of an expensive college education is just that.

c. What type of exposure to upper class self important Buffy and Chet's does said daughter have? They are a different breed and it is all about the $.

d. rural NE school are a little isolated both geographically and culturally.

e. Pick the "type" of school first and then apply to the ones you like.

Colby=Bates=Bowdoin=Rural and preppy. Actually include almost all of the NESCAC schools in that blanket statement.

If she is leaning toward biology, I would suggest Paul Smiths. They have some fantastic science programs. You’re right in the heart of the Adirondacks so you’re getting some real good hands on experience.

The school is right on a big lake. Great canoeing and kayaking. Nearby there is a huge primitive area just for paddling around. Hiking in the High Peaks is 45 minutes away. Whiteface is 40 minutes away. Lake Placid is 25 minutes away. It’s a remote school, but in certainly a beautiful spot.

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    Hobart.
    William smith is the girls school, two different dean sets. I went there. They can get the lake effect dumps but the vert and terrain is nothing like VT, ME, Eastern NY, and NH mountains.

Also check, colby, bates, bowdoin in Maine, Great NESCAC schools as well as Middlebury.

Champlain college in Burlington and colby sawyer in NH as well could be good back ups.

UVM may not be the best academic match for her but the town and proximity to top caliber EC skiing cant be beat on this coast. There is a healthy mix of every type there so she wont have a problem making friends at all or being bored.

FG, that is a good post.
    We are Goombas, not Gidgits, Buffys or Chets.
    I thinks schools like Amherst, Middlebury, Dartmouth (especially), and the Little 3 from Maine are worth the money for contacts alone. While, we may never be invited to Baltistrol (or whatever country club), doors will open for her as a graduate of one of these schools.
    She is not a racer, but is a total ripper. For the past 3 years she has taught (assisted) at Snowbird and D.V.

Oberlin, and ski Michigan!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    We live in P.C. I would love for her to go to either the U of U (State school = cheaper), or Colorado College,
    Win. Best of all worlds. And the interesting kids from e coast prepfuckery come out to get away. I skied (too?) many days in Summit County and the backcountry, yet had an exceptional undergrad in biology. but the block plan isn't for every student. it was incredible for me, and 4.5 day weekends every month didn't hurt. try again to convince her.

If she is leaning towards Bio, St Mikes has a good undergrad bio dept, on the way to Smuggs and Jay. Close to Mt Mansfield backcountry and its a small school easily accessible to dt Burlington

UVM has a great biochem and molecular biology dept (can't speak for general bio)
    Im a UVM cell bio grad student (4th Year) so pm me if you have any questions about the med/biochem/molecular depts.

Middlebury sounds fun and great school, small town. Cheap skiing at Midd snow bowl (check out ECRC for recent stoke)

Fuck Dartmouth

I think you answered your own question correctly then. If she can get in to Amherst, Middlebury, or Dartmouth, then by all means go! If not, the 3 in Maine are all good schools starting with Bowdoin and then either Colby or Bates as they are both in shitty towns, but are good schools and relatively close to skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Colby seems a bit rural/preppy
    Much less rural and certainly no more preppy than Middlebury. Not that Waterville is a cosmopolitan spot.

Maybe I'm not sure what you mean by preppy, though. Ruling a school out because the kids dress real east coast seems short-sighted to me.

edit: if she really wants to ski a shit ton, consider which colleges have a special January term she can spend off-campus. A bunch of the schools she is considering have this.
    Last edited by Steven S. Dallas; 01-10-2013 at 05:26 PM.

But Colorado College is where I'd go if I could do it over...

Although it might be disqualified by being in NY (although Troy isn't that far from the Mass. border) she might want to look at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Exceptionally good small technical school that is closer to skiing than Boston.
    "I just want to thank everyone who made this day necessary." -Yogi Berra

dartmouth is where animal house was set!!!!
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000