Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Wow, these skis are even better while listening to 3 Inches:

I had a very fast dust-on-crust day yesterday. GS form/speed in the forest + the ability to stop on a dime is new territory for me. I'm kind of relieved the season is ending here as my skiing has been leveled up a few notches, honestly, having me re-think what it means to be careful out there. I feel like a rookie in an Indy car finishing his first season of races. "I can't believe I just did that." passed my lips several times this season. Seriously- I have kids. I need to chill out.

Tongue-in-Cheek Complaint-
    This ski has a bigger field of vision than I do. I can't see far enough ahead in tight terrain to match the top speed the maneuverability allows. Take this ski for a season in Japan's forests to truly tone your nervous system's reaction time if you consider yourself a competitive free skier.

I had the tightest, most technical lines and airs of my life this year. Doubting my own ability before ever doubting the ski would be there for me is a feeling I didn't know I was waiting for.

I wish I was still competing.

Season 2 on these. Steep ice can get a little dodgy. The full reverse camber = full-time soft-snow ski. I don't think I'd choose the Ren for a touring ski in NZ or Yurp where I'd likely find myself clinging to boiler plate above exposure trying to get into some line.

But here in 8-week blizzard town, it's the daily driver.

Yesterday (for the first time in my 10 year history here) I aired a big rock (40ish) atop a field before it closed out to a forest. I never had the confidence in my past to hit it. I've never seen anyone else hit it either. I always went around not only fearing my ability to stick, but also the snowpack ripping and pulling me into a forest. I just always assumed it was out of my league.

I didn't even plan it, either. Went to a zone to get a pov of a different air/tranny. Once there, I saw a diving board take-off and could spot a landing down there below traverse marks... kind of far away... but it made so much sense. "I can get there." I didn't shut it down though. Just landed and went right into turns at full speed. I don't even remember the landing.

The Renegade has upped my game more than any other ski in my history and I'm a bit old to be peaking at 38. Cue mid-life crisis: has family and financial responsibilities, wants to compete again. This is what happens when you grow up, get your shit together, stay healthy, and ski tech delivers a whole new level of certainty to your riding.

I wonder how inspired my kids would be to see me on the FWT in my 40's. Altmann is getting there, inspiring us "slightly older" guys. "It's all about the kids, honey." ;-) Let's teach them how to sponsor themselves.

I love these skis. Against my better judgement I dragged them 5 hours into the backcountry for some decent snow this week. On the uphills I was definitely craving my set-up that is half as light, but on the way down there is no comparison. Nothing huge, but fun pillows and good snow.

Awesome video! Love my Rens too though only had em inbounds.

I blew my knee in March. But... This video was one day in Japan last season. It starts out slow and mellow and builds up... click to 8:00 if you don't have time to slow down and enjoy forest season.

The Renegade is an insanely easy ski to ski.

How does the Renegade handle cut up chop the day after a storm or even just towards the end of the day of the storm? In Tahoe our snow is pretty wet so it gets pretty funky pretty quick

Sent from my LM-G710VM using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    How does the Renegade handle cut up chop the day after a storm or even just towards the end of the day of the storm? In Tahoe our snow is pretty wet so it gets pretty funky pretty quick

Sent from my LM-G710VM using TGR Forums mobile app
    It's stiff and full reverse camber... no suspension to speak of so it depends on your quads. I used to live in Tahoe and I know it well. I think the Ren would be more of a quiver ski for me there than the daily driver it is for me here in JP. I think it rips variable snow, but I hate bumps.

Unbeatable in fresh snow, can rip crud, but begins to punish when the crud gets dense and bumpy.

That said, I generally ski it on everything but ice. But, this year I'll be skiing something shorter and narrower with some camber underfoot for days I'm not in the forest. But that decision is simply due to my knee. I'm weak as shit right now. Relaxing on the Ren is easy, but kinda boring. It likes to rip.

The 4FRNT Renegade makes me blush. (/blog)

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    It's stiff and full reverse camber... no suspension to speak of so it depends on your quads. I used to live in Tahoe and I know it well. I think the Ren would be more of a quiver ski for me there than the daily driver it is for me here in JP. I think it rips variable snow, but I hate bumps.

Unbeatable in fresh snow, can rip crud, but begins to punish when the crud gets dense and bumpy.

That said, I generally ski it on everything but ice. But, this year I'll be skiing something shorter and narrower with some camber underfoot for days I'm not in the forest. But that decision is simply due to my knee. I'm weak as shit right now. Relaxing on the Ren is easy, but kinda boring. It likes to rip.
    I’d agree with all this. They are good in rough chop IF you’re aggressive and don’t mind your feet getting bounced around. They’ll buck you all over but if you’re light and loose they won’t actually buck you off balance and they’ll still be there for the moments you land back in/on the snow. Angulation helps. If you’re looking for something to smooth the chop look elsewhere.
    Last edited by Mustonen; 09-27-2018 at 07:31 AM.
    focus.