Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    911s aren't in the "cheap and budget" category anymore. For that matter 912's aren't cheap anymore, either.
    Nope they aren't. I can't tell you how many guys I've talked to at shows and Porsche track days looking to get into the game with a 912. Hard to find a good specimen these days from what I'm hearing. That and the lift-throttle oversteer on those was worse due to the lighter weight. Whheeee!!

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    I've always wanted a 240SX converted to Japanese spec

For some reason I've always thought that vintage 240 was a good looking car. Would never buy one though if I could spend the $ on something else.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post

A '69? 912 is not a collector car, a 911? maybe in twenty more years.
    Maybe I'm not reading your sentence correctly but both are collectors. Hell, to any Porschephile a brand new one is a "collector"!
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post

Was a well made un-rusty Fiat X1/9 with the Italian style removed.

Interesting. All I see is a less-dependable 914 though.

Guruu, if you're talking a 90's 740 you want the Sport Short, not the iL; they can be found in good shape too these days.

Quote Originally Posted by GBB View Post
    I will own one of these before it's all said and done.

That's a 1979 if I'm not mistaken, last year of the 99. I had an '80 900T with those same rims known in the Saabista world as 'Inca mags'. Then I had an '86 900T, still driving a '97 9K Aero. All have been a bit modded. I love those cars.

One of these days...

...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

I'll add my junk, not really a collector, more like a hoarder, suffer from ample storage space:
    1981 Mazda RX-7, owned since highschool, saw it riding the bus to a soccer game bought it the next day. Love the rotary motor, not powerful or fast but so fun, like a less gay miata. Sits in the barn now.

1984 Rabbit GTI, common outside the Rustbelt but not so much in Maine. Spends winters in the barn but drive it daily in the summer, easy to work on and prices seem to be going up for it, hipsters have a hard on for them around here. Took it to NH with a single fin board and a 70's Coleman steel cooler on the roof, had offers instantly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using America

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    That's a 1979 if I'm not mistaken, last year of the 99. I had an '80 900T with those same rims known in the Saabista world as 'Inca mags'. Then I had an '86 900T, still driving a '97 9K Aero. All have been a bit modded. I love those cars.
    I had a 900 as well but without the turbo. Next time I'm doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Always wanted a late 80's M5. Something about the visual balance of the car.

Pretty much all 80s BMW body styles were compromised by that slack-jaw, US spec bumper. Still damn good looking cars, but the Euro spec cars are so much cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I have owned some cool cars in my day, including a 65 Mustang and a 70 Mach One. But my favorite of all was a 76 BMW 2002. Had that car for 20 years.
    The old man drove a 2002, which he traded for a Bavaria, which he promptly traded for a Honda Civic and a Mazda RX-4 Wagon, basically because of me (well, and my sister). That's been 30 years ago, and he still talks about that 2002 like it was yesterday.

I will say, that Mazda was no slouch. Not the most powerful car, but handled like a dream.
    Last edited by bagtagley; 01-11-2013 at 08:07 AM.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    One of these days...

one sweet ride CW.... had a 73 right after high school. Was planning to drop a 327 in it and was T boned by an old man about 3 months before the start of proejct.... sad days there. Very fun cars, may have a pic laying around here somewhere, will see if I can dig up and scan.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Interesting. All I see is a less-dependable 914 though.

Guruu, if you're talking a 90's 740 you want the Sport Short, not the iL; they can be found in good shape too these days.
    Less dependable and not nearly as good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I've got an '88 9000SPG that's parked at my parents house. I need to put bigger injectors in it, but the ECU has been reprogrammed to run around 18lbs of boost. Even running at 14lbs the thing runs like a raped date. Shitty for town driving though.

I've got a few cars on my want list:

1987 Buick Grand National
    1966 Chevy II
    FC RX-7
    e36 M3 sedan
    R32
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    Less dependable and not nearly as good looking.

You're saying a Fiat is more dependable than a Porsche? I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. And come on man, you can't post up some tarted up version with aftermarket crap. Give me the original ugly one in one of the four original colors it came in.

This one is exactly like my Dad's first (and last) 914 before he moved on to 911s. Love that orange. Porsche even released a Boxster S a few years back in the same orange as an homage to its 'grandfather'.

Got a guy in the neighborhood with at least 3 of these things, all he does is wrench on em and race em. He gets offers all the time.

Hugh Conway Guest
    He gets offers all the time.
    that's another model that's climbing up the price ladder. Nice and all but $12k? $15k?

What, four pages and no love for this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alfa-romeo-spider-veloce-06.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	130114

You're saying a Fiat is more dependable than a Porsche? I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. And come on man, you can't post up some tarted up version with aftermarket crap. Give me the original ugly one in one of the four original colors it came in.

This one is exactly like my Dad's first (and last) 914 before he moved on to 911s. Love that orange. Porsche even released a Boxster S a few years back in the same orange as an homage to its 'grandfather'.

Got a guy in the neighborhood with at least 3 of these things, all he does is wrench on em and race em. He gets offers all the time.
    Read the thread retard. I was agreeing with the guy that the 914 is more reliable and adding that it is better looking.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Pretty much all 80s BMW body styles were compromised by that slack-jaw, US spec bumper. Still damn good looking cars, but the Euro spec cars are so much cleaner.

The old man drove a 2002, which he traded for a Bavaria, which he promptly traded for a Honda Civic and a Mazda RX-4 Wagon, basically because of me (well, and my sister). That's been 30 years ago, and he still talks about that 2002 like it was yesterday.

I will say, that Mazda was no slouch. Not the most powerful car, but handled like a dream.
    The e28 M5 I believe was hand built as well. Same engine as the M1, amazing car. Believe its Chris Harris' all time favorite as well.

Euro bumpers are pretty cheap, but I agree, they make a big difference.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    One of these days...

Dad had a 240 , I had just turned 16, gott damn that was a fast mother fucking car !!! You could get arrested for child endangerment today for letting a kid drive that car. Guy down the street has a restored 280, not the same car IMO, but the lines are just as nice.
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Euro bumpers are pretty cheap, but I agree, they make a big difference.
    What's the deal with them registration/legality wise? Anyone ever been cited/pulled over/whatevered? The definitely make a huge difference for the BMWs, same with the Italian cars of the era.

no pics of '73 but here is a scan of my '77 280Z...

Name:	240z June 89.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	627.8 KB 
ID:	130117

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    It's like a Golf GTi, but less dependable!
    Clearly you've never driven an Integrale.... there is no comparison, not even with a modern GTi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by bite me View Post
    What, four pages and no love for this?

Name:	alfa-romeo-spider-veloce-06.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	130114
    The only Alfa I really like. I was going to post about it, but was too lazy to find a picture. I always have wanted to drive one down Big Sur a'la "The Graduate".

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

What's the deal with them registration/legality wise? Anyone ever been cited/pulled over/whatevered? The definitely make a huge difference for the BMWs, same with the Italian cars of the era.
    Ive rocked a set on pretty much every e30 I owned prior to the 88 model year. No issues whatsoever with registration, inspections, or what have you.

The average mechanic isnt going to know the model details of a 25 year old bimmer, let alone a cop. Even if they did, theres no way they would go through the trouble to take you to court and research the whole thing.
    Live Free or Die

I wanted a TVR when I was a kid. I used to didn't have enough money for one. Now I don't have enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    Read the thread retard. I was agreeing with the guy that the 914 is more reliable and adding that it is better looking.
    If by "guy" you mean me, you have a weird way of agreeing. Super-stoked we're on the same page though!

that's another model that's climbing up the price ladder. Nice and all but $12k? $15k?
    Couldn't agree more. I was walking the dogs through the neighborhood last week and was talking to the guy and I almost fell over when he told me he was turning down 15K for a fully restored 914 regularly.

When I was in Ohio last on business Porsche of Cincinnati has an orange 914 with around 40k original miles on it in the showroom next to all the new 991 type 911s. Dealer won't even sell it, just puts it there to get the Porschephiles drooling.

It was an affordable classic until just a few years ago too. Weird how stuff works sometimes.

If by "guy" you mean me, you have a weird way of agreeing. Super-stoked we're on the same page though!
    lol.. my bad. yep - I meant you. 914 is a great car, but the one to get (914-6) is like $70K.