Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best time to visit La Grave?

anyone out there this season? i realize no one can predict the future just wondering -typically-, is mid march a pretty safe bet snow wise? not going to do any death lines. could also go early feb. does la grave get mobbed mid feb to mid march from school holidays and half term like a lot of other places?

Le vacances are not as bad as most places since school children and their parents are a little intimidated by LG.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Yeah, pretty much so. You dont see many kids at lg.

I highly recommend the chalets de la meije with the demi pension (at the au vieux guide). Fantastic food.

Damn, i think i just convinced myself to go back during the next school holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    Yeah, pretty much so. You dont see many kids at lg.

I highly recommend the chalets de la meije with the demi pension (at the au vieux guide). Fantastic food.

Damn, i think i just convinced myself to go back during the next school holidays.
    cool thanks, now just need to figure out best time to go

for anyone who stumbles on this planning a trip to la grave, this is a good online guide to get an idea of the place beforehand: http://www.skierslodge.com/the-skiin...endary-routes/

Late season can be great too, especially after the time change, less people, great snow. Nice to get a little sun when you're done skiing. Downside is the hike to the road.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Whenever I've lived in LG March has been largely dry and mostly high pressure, April has been wet. But March can be great. Late January is normally my choice - empty mountain, normally frequent snow - but I guess that might be tricky. It's been a while but I'll be there a couple of days towards the end of Feb. can't wait.

I've only been one so n=1 doesn't make me good at snow forecasting. I will say this re: "death lines". Don't fool yourself, except for Vallons and Chancel (I think that is what the easier routes are called) all the terrain is very high consequence. Even the stuff close to the lift is quite serious. The only reason I say this I that I became a little numb to the exposure and this is not a good thing. I was snapped out of it by watching one person fall and narrowly escape injury in what would be considered relatively benign terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletizer View Post
    Late January is normally my choice - empty mountain, normally frequent snow - but I guess that might be tricky. .
    ^^ this for the zona de freeride...or end of March/early April for longer tours

La Grave is a *very* big mountain with hugh vertical rise from 1400m - 3600m.

At the start of the winter it might be possible to ski back to the village. In the middle of the winter the road runs come into condition. Come spring (mid march onward) the glaciers fill properly and the upper mountain / touring routes come into play - but bottom of the mountain will be brown. It is very rare that all the routes be in condition at one time.

Locals often rate the start of April as the best time of year - mountain is very quiet, and they often get moisture laden storm systems that allow the "big" classic lines on the upper mountain to come into condition. End of January is also a good suggestion - there should be plenty snow and also not many people around. Though any time of year snow could be good or bad - its the southern alps. Resort never gets really busy except "derby" weekend.

anyone who stumbles on this planning a trip to la grave, this is a good online guide to get an idea of the place beforehand: http://www.skierslodge.com/the-skiin...endary-routes/
    The terrain in LG is obviously huge... Skiers lodge web site is great resource : but LG really does require local knowledge to make the most if and remain safe (compared to Verbier etc its a whole different league).

The vamos book + map is essential reading for first time vistors IMHO. Once you have spent some time exploring the 2 classic lines and their varients (vallon & chancel) you can then start thinking about befriending some friendly locals in the pub or hiring a mountain guide to access some of the more rowdy shit. Basically what I am trying to say is that even very experienced off piste skiers shouldn't underestimate this place or use a web site as their main source of topographic info for the more extremo stuff.

http://www.editionsvamos.com/index.p...pshop&Itemid=8
    Last edited by Scottish_Skier; 01-11-2013 at 05:15 AM.

Best time to visit La Grave?

Thanks for the info. Just booked a trip for late spring. I know how much of a gamble April/early May can be, but am so stoked to get there. Found a cheap-ish flight and couldn't convince myself to not. Catch the last week of La Grave and then...? A pilgrimage trip for sure.

Bump for any other pertinent info? My steep game* and dirtbag ways are on point, gotta learn a little more rope work though to not be a total jong. Oh, that and French.

*edit: on point for around here. I know it’s a whole different ballgame in the alps. That’s why I’m going!!
    Last edited by ODHGABFE; 01-30-2018 at 02:30 PM.
    I think the potato gun proved the stability.

Bumping this thread

I have a question about La Grave. Say I show up there in early February and I plan to stay until the beginning of April. Will I end up being able to find a bed in a hostel, or should I book something before I arrive?

Quote Originally Posted by P.A.B.C. View Post
    Bumping this thread

I have a question about La Grave. Say I show up there in early February and I plan to stay until the beginning of April. Will I end up being able to find a bed in a hostel, or should I book something before I arrive?
    Hard to say. You might want to book a week of accommodations to give you the time to figure it out. The hostel there is just OK in my opinion. The Castillian is probably the the cheapest place close to the lift. Other alternatives include finding someone with an open room or possibly staying in one of the outlying villages.

Quote Originally Posted by P.A.B.C. View Post
    Bumping this thread

Depends on comfort requirements
    The Castillian is fine..if you with cool friends

upd. hi, how was it?
    Last edited by ducirahi; 01-13-2020 at 08:56 PM.

Bumping this. Anybody got recs on places to stay and guides you hired?

Great bump. I need to go there. Early April '25.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Places to stay kinda depends on your crew, budget, whether you want a kitchen and if you have a car. I normally stay at La Castillan. Its a basic option which is functions as the center of the social scene. There are apartments available of the tourism website. I like being a short distance from the lift.

For guides (and lodging) the Skiers Lodge is a good place to start. I guide isn't mandatory and again is depends a bit on your experience and objectives. You could see if my homie Ray will be around https://www.rayhughes-mountainguide.com/guiding

https://www.guidelagrave.com/en/team_members
    I've personally skied with Per, Cyril, Olivier and Robin. All are great, but Robin is kinda the crusty old legend, who I highly recommend.
    Mostly we use skierslodge, but twice we stayed at a hotel and booked guides for most days through the Bureau. Our last trips we specifically used skierslodge because we like getting paired with other skiers, and we've had good luck in that the skiers have been strong. Maybe cuz Pelle knows us now?

Oh jeez, should I go shoot my fat keyboard off again?

I'd think strategery first.

Do you want a package deal with guides and shuttles to take you to other fabulous little known places when the LG weather gets crazy and are willing to deal with slightly higher prices? Then SkiersLodge. People get grouped by skill normally and sometimes people complain about their group, but there is always the gnar gnar on tap. It's a recommended intro to the place.

If you want to experience exploring with all it's vagaries and occasional frustrations, like getting stormed out, then there's a variety of more custom options like the Castillan or Gite Le Rocher, each of which are a little spare or the Auberge Edelweiss which is a little posh and pricey. My stash is Le Serac which is sort of between the previous classes and prices. There are also some rentals up in Ventelon or Les Hieres or Chazelet/Les Terrasses, but you absolutely need a burly snow sure vehicle up in those villages.

For guides, there's the Skiers Lodge which can put you in a group for as many days as you want or hire a guide out of the Bureau des Guides or contact Erin Smart (whose brother guides there and in Chamonix) or Joe Vallone.

My experience started with SkiersLodge in 1996 which was a good intro, then skiing with locals, some famous, some infamous. Now I just go rat around with buddies there. It's an amazing place, a place at which every ski fiend should spend a week. Also, be sure to eat at Le Vieux Guide and pizza at Les Bois De Fees.

Note that LG is a pain in the ass to get to and out of, you'll need at least a day on either end of your trip. That's part of the reason I've been doing Andermatt and the Mtnlodge_sedrun. Am@ has a ton of scary skiing as well and a little more consistent good snow.

Thanks to all for the info, this is great. I worry a bit about the language barrier. Do these guides speak enough English to communicate with a Yank who does not speak a lick of French?

Yes, however if that worries you, The Skiers Lodge is basically an English Speaking operation. The more I travel the more I realize that into really only in American that people don't speak good English.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Oh jeez, should I go shoot my fat keyboard off again?

I'd think strategery first.

Do you want a package deal with guides and shuttles to take you to other fabulous little known places when the LG weather gets crazy and are willing to deal with slightly higher prices? Then SkiersLodge. People get grouped by skill normally and sometimes people complain about their group, but there is always the gnar gnar on tap. It's a recommended intro to the place.

If you want to experience exploring with all it's vagaries and occasional frustrations, like getting stormed out, then there's a variety of more custom options like the Castillan or Gite Le Rocher, each of which are a little spare or the Auberge Edelweiss which is a little posh and pricey. My stash is Le Serac which is sort of between the previous classes and prices. There are also some rentals up in Ventelon or Les Hieres or Chazelet/Les Terrasses, but you absolutely need a burly snow sure vehicle up in those villages.

For guides, there's the Skiers Lodge which can put you in a group for as many days as you want or hire a guide out of the Bureau des Guides or contact Erin Smart (whose brother guides there and in Chamonix) or Joe Vallone.

My experience started with SkiersLodge in 1996 which was a good intro, then skiing with locals, some famous, some infamous. Now I just go rat around with buddies there. It's an amazing place, a place at which every ski fiend should spend a week. Also, be sure to eat at Le Vieux Guide and pizza at Les Bois De Fees.

Note that LG is a pain in the ass to get to and out of, you'll need at least a day on either end of your trip. That's part of the reason I've been doing Andermatt and the Mtnlodge_sedrun. Am@ has a ton of scary skiing as well and a little more consistent good snow.
    When do you like to be there?

At what point in the season?

I like to be there the week the time changes. In 2023 it was March 26. That way you’re still getting winter, but the extra hour in the evening to actually have a moment and have a beer outside before it’s dark and cold

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    When do you like to be there?
    Always
    ;-)

Like Mulletizer said, mid to late January is lift served pow time. It is bitterly cold (yeah I know you're an Ice Coaster, but I spent my first 10 years in Minnesota and by any measure it's bitch biting cold, especially up at 3550 m).

Late March into April it snows again and the weather is a little more accommodating.

Right on right on right on...