Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Ruling - rank resorts around Seattle _ i know whistler the best but...

going to seattle with my bud to ski

we have never been, but are going

i need a definative ranking of ski areas, oviousely we will adjust with weather cycles

is Crystal the best? Alpental doersnt suck does it? what sucks and what is fire?

Thank you in advance for mentoring my dreams
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

definitive*
    And there is no definitive ranking of ski resorts.
    Fire is "Combustion or burning, in which substances combine chemically with oxygen from the air and typically give out bright light, heat, and smoke."

I can definitevly say you are a tool
    Zone Controller

cant you fools see that i am a little black boy and do not have access to the same schools/teachers as you crackers and your dentist fathers; therefore, i cannot spell so well
    Zone Controller

Hyak

/end thread

Crystal and Stevens are the best
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Hugh Conway Guest
    digital death = hyak

I don't care what you toolbots will say, this needs to be at the top of the page until justice is served.

There's an african american skier looking for information here people, fucking snap to.

So, you have never been skiing in general or just never been skiing in Washington?

I think what you can expect is that skiing is a lot like rollerblading on snow.

Now, the rankings:

I would rank Whistler as being in an entirely different country, it's up in Canadia or something like that, therefore not in Seattle area.

Then after that ranking, I would rank Crystal as being the most pompous. (With the exception of the Snorting Elk, respect for that establishment).

I would tie Stevens and Snoqualmie Central for night skiing as being tied for alcoholics. Why the fuck are there so many people drinking Rainier at 9:00 in the morning in the lift lines for Skyline? As far as beer cans in the run, Skyline probably won that ranking over last Christmas break.

^^^^^ so you have zero input and your mother was an alcoholic???

fkn NUBE
    Zone Controller

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Hyak

/end thread
    Nah, Loup loup ski bowl FTW

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    ^^^^^ so you have zero input and your mother was an alcoholic???

fkn NUBE
    Easy braj, I thought that was solid advice. I know you claimed to be uneducated so I was just being rezourceful.

Mission ridge.

Paging greg from alpinezone.
    Rontele: Merrill Lynch's chief analyst today came out and said that as a good hedge against economic uncertainty, every portfolio should have about 5% invested in hookers and blow.

There are no ski resorts around Seattle. Just some great ski hills.

Quote Originally Posted by SurfyTurns View Post
    So, you have never been skiing
    Wha?? Cause he's black right. Oh I see, YOU PEOPLE!

Crystal
    Baker
    Stevens

OK, all joking aside...

Crystal = Acreage and altitude, some good pockets of technical terrain, especially if you do side country.
    Steven's = Less acreage, but also high enough to be above the freezing level most of the time. Decent side country access.
    I've had some of the biggest powder days of my life on the back side, riding the Southern Cross lift.
    Baker = The snow stats don't lie, they get hit with a shit-ton of snow. Fun terrain, I personally like skiing the trees there when the gates are closed.
    Alpental = Small, until the gates open up. Then it's still small but with more potential.
    At alpy it's about terrain, not acreage. Altitude is a bit of a weak point some times relative to the other areas, the base is at around 3400 ft.

Watch the weather when making plans.
    Specifically, watch the convergence zone.

Edited to add: Seattle has ski areas, not so much resorts...
    And, do a search, there are several threads covering the subject.
    Last edited by AlpenChronicHabitual; 01-08-2013 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Search jong

This again?

Crustal is the largest amount of terrain but are in the precipitation shadow of Rainier so actually gets less snow than all the others. Also has the sn00tiest atmosphere.

Of the ski areas with 2 hours of Seattle (meaning not Baker) Stevens gets the best snow (quality and quantity) but is more limited in lift served advanced terrain. Touring around Stevens will make Aldous Huxley get groovy.

Alpental has the highest percentage of the gnariest lift served terrain in North America but is prone to rain and outrageous weekend crowds. There's a ton of weird folds in their terrain that aren't obvious. When it's cold enough they get a supertanker of snow. Don't miss it. One of my more favorite experiences is seeing peoples reaction when they first look down International. Or Elevator Shaft. Or Roxoff.

See here: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...48#post1593148
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 01-09-2013 at 10:19 AM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

learned something new about the convergence zone:
    April 18, 2008

On April 18, 2008, a strong and very unseasonable snow-producing Puget Sound Convergence Zone storm formed around Everett, and spread south throughout the course of the afternoon and evening.[5] By evening, the Zone had spread into northern King County, dumping 3.5" of snow in Shoreline, and 6.5" of snow in Woodinville.[6] As the Zone slowly sank south of Shoreline into Seattle (past NE 145th Street), snow amounts began to taper off. The snow-producing part of the Zone ended abruptly at Roosevelt High School, a mere ten blocks north of the beginnings of the University District and the University of Washington community. Just north of Roosevelt High School, an inch of snow coated the ground, and due west of the school in the Green Lake neighborhood of Seattle, an inch of snow had also fallen. In line with the known "abrupt edge" of the Puget Sound Convergence Zone, areas to the south of this Green Lake-to-Roosevelt High line (marked by NE 68th Street), including the U-District, witnessed only a dusting of snow.

maybe you should stick it out and wait for it to dump in woodinville

thanks for the help!

in my eyes these zones are where to go next month- anyone disagree? who gots better
    Zone Controller

It's pouring rain right now and if we get into a high pressure system for a while, bring your skates.
    Check the SW forecast: potential for big snow for Northern New Mexico and SWCo.

do not miss white pass, home of the legendary skiers bringing home the gold.
    alpental is so overrrated
    bF

Zone Controller

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    do not miss white pass, home of the legendary skiers bringing home the gold.
    alpental is so overrrated
    bF
    So says the Sinister Minister of Alpental Disinformation.

There is a wealth of great folks who love and know their terrain around the Puget Sound. I suggest pinging them for area introductions. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately depending on your point of view) I will be elsewhere during most of February.

i gets smad way too often

Hurricane Ridge.

I'm serious.