Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I think I like MTB better than snow...

Not sure what to make of this new development.

I blame the Colorado snowpack.

Quote Originally Posted by grabtindy View Post
    I blame the Colorado snowpack.
    You may be on to something there...

It's the snowpack, I have the same affliction. You just need a few good ol' fashioned pow days to bring you back around.

Holy shit no kidding. That 10 minute deep powder, so-easy-to-turn run I had yesterday brought much clarity.

I'm in the same boat as you. I think a lot of it has to do with accessibility from my new house and the fact I don't have to plan my whole day around driving to go ski... but I also enjoy a sweet 20-mile XC ride now just as much as a good powder day.

It's the last two years I keep hoping, but the snowpack doesn't seem to be bumming out the traffic piece.
    NYE got deepest turns on Mirk rope drop in 18 months. They were sexy, but with the hike and the run out it was a little, eh. Rode my mtn bike on trails around Evergreen NYD from my house. Saturday it took me close to 1.5 hours to drive to LL, 37 miles from my driveway to the lot. Skied with my kids until about 2:00, came home and rode the cross bike. Sunday rode mtn bike...

The nice thing about biking is its never really conditions dependent. Certainly can't say that about skiing.

I might be in the same category these days as well.

Two things I like about biking - you can squeeze in a good ride without having to plan your entire day around it (as mentioned), yet you can also dedicate an entire road trip to biking and incorporate some sick camping adventure action into the day/night.

Yep. Instead of skiing last weekend went to Pueblo and rode at the reservoir. Dry and warm. Way more funnerer than ice+crowds+traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    The nice thing about biking is its never really conditions dependent. Certainly can't say that about skiing.
    eh? It's never really conditions dependent except for the 5 months of the year when everything's under snow.

but I know what you're saying.

(p.s. this is not an invitation to talk about fat bikes)

Quote Originally Posted by SubV View Post
    Yep. Instead of skiing last weekend went to Pueblo and rode at the reservoir. Dry and warm. Way more funnerer than ice+crowds+traffic.
    You should have cut your travel time down to nothing and ridden the gnar of Niwot and Lafayette with me on Sunday. I got 15 miles of hardcore dirt trails mixed in with about two miles of singletrack, all from my driveway. (just the thought of driving I-70 these days is curdling my blood)

This thread sucks. Ya'll need to come to your senses
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    You should have cut your travel time down to nothing and ridden the gnar of Niwot and Lafayette with me on Sunday. I got 15 miles of hardcore dirt trails mixed in with about two miles of singletrack, all from my driveway. (just the thought of driving I-70 these days is curdling my blood)
    Hmmm... I guess I should figure out my MTB situation then. Just moved to the Front Range and was hoping to ski most of the winter, but with this crappy snowpack, maybe I should just buy a new bike. Not too far from Pueblo either.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    You're absolutely correct! The drive to pueblo was bullocks but worth it for overnight, 2 days of riding. Sounds like you've got a sweet situation, trails straight from the house is hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Hmmm... I guess I should figure out my MTB situation then. Just moved to the Front Range and was hoping to ski most of the winter, but with this crappy snowpack, maybe I should just buy a new bike. Not too far from Pueblo either.
    In each of the 18 months I've been on the front range I've ridden an appreciable amount. By far most recreational bang for buck/trouble. Still ski for pow but when conditions aren't favorable I don't stress and pine for deep snow, I just get the brown pow jones. ...want to buy my firebird?

The first ride I took on the Ironhorse Sunday I now own was at Winter Park this summer. Funny that my initial thought was "this is the first time biking has ever felt like skiing". Learning to jump a DH bike at on lift serve terrain is pretty damn fun, and while I'll never be as comfortable on a bike as I am on skis, I really prefer the bike when it comes to resorts.

Lucky for me I get to think of both when I wonder into my little shed to grab the BC boards and see the DH rig in the corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    A better option would be to quit whining and go ski somewhere with less people around.
    __________________________________________________ __________

Aclimate Sports Drink- "Go higher feel better"

I'm starting to feel the same way, and we have good snow and terrain real close. For me it has a lot to do with my knees. They hurt when I ski and I'm always afraid anymore (bad decisions in my youth, as you can see). I'm afraid on the DH bike but I get more thrill out of less.

If you asked me five or ten years ago, I would have given up riding in a heartbeat for the endless winter. Between the way the new bikes go up and down, and mixing it up with DH and jumping, I feel like I could ride year round and not miss skiing much. Been kinda wanting to get into BMX again for the winter months. Am I crazy?

A good 20 inch pow day is still titties though.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

i like skiing pow better than any biking but i do prefer not having to get up so damn early to get first lift. dirt doesn't get tracked out. that and the beer tastes a lot better after biking.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I hear you. Since living in NJ I have deluded myself into the belief that MTB is better than skiing. It gonna be 55 today and I am about to head out for a nice long ride.

BUT, I did have a dream last night about skiing epic blower. The snow was so good I almost cried lol.

As fun as biking is, I'm just better on a board. And having ridden a 22" day at Baker a few weeks ago, hucking cliffs, shredding pow, and blasting lines bell to bell, non stop, all in the presence of good company, I really like snowboarding. I had almost forgotten, what with our crappy back to back season situation. But honestly, getting good pow days on bottomless base where you can just let it rip and follow your own lines, rather than a predetermined singletrack is where it's at.

But riding a bike is fun too.

Riding motorcross is better than both.

The best days skiing are better than MTB, no question. You can float, fly, huck, and go so much bigger and faster than on a bike, it's insane.

But those days only come a few times a year.

Mtb is almost always awesome. I will always love skiing, but mtb is more reliably fun. It's always an 8" pow day on my DH bike.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    The best days skiing are better than MTB, no question. You can float, fly, huck, and go so much bigger and faster than on a bike, it's insane.

Mtb is almost always awesome. I will always love skiing, but mtb is more reliably fun. It's always an 8" pow day on my DH bike.
    What he said. Add kids/career to the mix and hitting those really great ski days can be tough. Biking also has the distinct advantage that you don't have to worry about dieing in an avalanche.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post

Well said feel the same way.

I'm solidly in the mtb-ing more than skiing camp these days. The drive to Kirkwood over the years has killed my enthusiasm and there isn't that much I want to strive to accomplish on skis anymore. MTB however, I can ride from my front door all year, tons of my friends ride all year, and I have more motivation / reasons to ride these days.

We get older. We change. Life continues to be good regardless.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks