Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Spending the past week in AZ in 70 degree temps, riding my bike and moto every day has certainly not helped my already lacking ski stoke. I'd be more than happy to be in warm weather splitting my time between 2 wheels and hooking trout.
    Where did you ride?

I am out for the winter following a moto wreck and shoulder surgery. It is my first winter since I was three or four years old that I have not skied. As messed up as it sounds, I am more worried that I will not be able to mtn bike, moto and kayak this spring following this surgery. I will definitely be back skiing hard next season, but the possibility of really restricted arm intensive sports bums me out more than a season off the snow. I will start skinning for exercise soon though

Yeah my house is in tahoe so I don't even know what this 'snow' stuff is. I'm parked in bootleg/boulder city for the next few days. holla
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    Where did you ride?
    Lake Havasu

All this white ice (there's plenty of blue, too) in new england has me dreaming about bikes..I went out on the studs today and it was nice but I want some dirt and rocks. Or snow

MTB was my first love, and as stoked as I have been to get into skiing (as well as a great early season here in NoCo/SoWy), I have been feeling tinges of longing for my two wheels. I recently envisioned the scenario where, after being so pumped to ski, graduating, moving to a place where it dumps all the time, I will awake one morning to realize, holy shit, I love bikes too much. I'm moving south. We shall see....

Sitting here in Tahoe and thinking about how much mountain biking has saved my season. The close riding (Carson, Sly Park) is riding fantastic right now.

Yeah, it's the not having to completely obsess over the weather part that I like. It's almost always there if you're willing to get off yer ass and get it.

That's definitely one of the nicest parts. Unless you're in a rain spell. I've been camped in pisgah national forest waiting out rain for days to get some riding in. I've done lots of rain riding, and it's sucks worse than any snow conditions... Assuming there's snow. But it usually dries faster than it snows

I don't mind rain at all, only part that sucks is cleaning everything after. As long as you're not out all day long.

Where do you live? I ride in the rain in Wyoming just fine. North Carolina? Virginia? West Virginia? Fuck that.

Single speed FTW. Get out the big brush and the hose and simple green. 5 minutes later, voila. If you're real picky, brush the chain a bit

Depends where you live.
    Here we have a lot of bentonite clay...rain= instant death march.
    Some trails run better than others.
    Some are absolutely no-go.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I feel ya. I used to live in southwest Va, and it was all clay. Couldn't ride a lot of the year. Actually, I can ride more in Wyoming in January than back there.

I rode today in Sedona, it was incredible, that place is the new spot in the south west right now. It was probably around 60 or 65 today and sunny. Dirt was choice so I'm ok not having snow but we need to get some at some point. I'm starting to think I better just like riding more than skiing because we haven't had any good snow on a real base for four years. I'm getting tired of spending my money on skiing when it barely even happens.

Mtb is also a lot less heavy on the drive times, for most people. Even if you have snow really close, chances are it's farther than the local trails. I love being able to hop on my bike and just pedal out the door, and go for a ride. I've always had that until now... thanks to some jackwad who bought up a bunch of land, we now have a 10 minute jaunt down I-80 to get to the trails :/

Quote Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
    Mtb is also a lot less heavy on the drive times, for most people. Even if you have snow really close, chances are it's farther than the local trails. I love being able to hop on my bike and just pedal out the door, and go for a ride. I've always had that until now... thanks to some jackwad who bought up a bunch of land, we now have a 10 minute jaunt down I-80 to get to the trails :/
    I'm an outlier. 3 ski hills within 15 minutes. 45 minutes to legal Mtb trails.

Quote Originally Posted by disc0ver View Post
    I'm an outlier. 3 ski hills within 15 minutes. 45 minutes to legal Mtb trails.
    Lucky, at least in the winter.

Ahhh, the key word is "legal". Trespass trails are always good fun.

The other thing, for most, is even if the ski hill is close, you can't ski to it. My local trails used to be a 20 minute drive or a 30 minute ride (45 if you took some other trails.) needless to say, I rarely drove. I don't mind driving, but I know some people can't stand piling in the car to go recreate.

No new snow? Why not ride! Phil's world was great last week and going to sand canyon this week. Nothing better then going for a Nordic ski in the morning and a great ride in the afternoon.

Must be sweet. All of my bike trails are under snow for the most part. At least the local dirt jumps melted out today, they should be fun until the next dump.

I have ridden 3x in last week or so. Yeah, it is fun. but I am dreaming about skiing almost every night.

there is no real mtn biking in tahoe. one or 2 small trails. otherwise 45 minute drive to decent riding.

big storm on the way. fingers crossed for several feet of sierra cement so we can actually have a ski season.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post

there is no real mtn biking in SOUTH tahoe.
    Sucks when all your trails face north huh?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

only 600ft tahoe mountain faces truly south.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

I checked up on my trails and its pretty much fat-bike terrain. All good and snow packed :/ the Denver area is rideable all year round and I make it down to visit family every month or so. Bringing the mtb next time, cuz I'm itchin to ride.

I hope y'all finally get snow, I saw a few articles talking about Cali entering a nasty drought. Hope they're wrong.

I think I like MTB better than snow...

BUMMPPP

Literally had this conversation with @ABCLVS yesterday. Are we crazy? Maybe its the fact that ski season was cancelled this year but holy shit, got me a MTB a week and a half ago and have ridden every day since it showed up.

Holy shit --> if ski season is cancelled next year I forecast several desert trips will be in the works!!

I'm waaaaay better at skiing, and I don't get gashed, bruised, or broken every goddamn time I fall skiing. I also get to ski wherever I want, not just where the trail takes me. Lastly, skis very rarely break and are fairly cheap to fix or replace, meanwhile my bike is only 100% 2 days per year: before the first ride of the year, and the day I put it away for the winter and costs hundreds of dollars to fix.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    During ski season skiing is the best. Sometime around May I am convinced that MTB is the best and that I should move to AZ and screw all this skiing business for good......until November.....then skiing is the best again.