Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    lots of straps and stuff with a chest harness maybe you forget it when you change layers ? i went from harness to pocket carry and i prefer pocket

we had somes swedes come thru who left a beacon at the top of "the 5000 " 5000 ft of avalanche path where you really might need it , no aviy but they had to go back the next day so I've seen it happen

I remember this guy I took an aviy 1 from, he more or less starts the friday night classroom talk with " I have found 26 bodies some of them without heads and limbs " apparently the attorney general would call him to find the bodies
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I’m thinking that a slide that tears your airbag off and you lose your beacon by it being pulled from your pocket or being depantsed is unsurvivable
    Exactly. The trauma required to fully pants a person almost certainly results in their death. As in, no known examples of survival. That was Manuel Genswein's argument when he was teaching a seminar back in 2010 or so.

Pocket beacons must be:
    1. INTERIOR pocket, not a bellows pocket which is both likely to catch and a ripped seam/hole will likely drive the beacon externally instead of inside the pants.
    2. ZIPPERED pocket - flaps and buckles are likely to catch.
    3. SECURED by lanyard appropriately.

In the Marble accident, the lanyard still connected the beacon to the victim.

Pocket or harness, turn your transceiver's screen toward your body so a glancing blow does not crack it.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    Pocket or harness, turn your transceiver's screen toward your body so a glancing blow does not crack it.
    I've noticed a few pocket carry folks around these parts put their beacon in a beer coozie. Not sure how functional it is for protection, but it adds a little padding and is more comfortable in the pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Going Coastal View Post
    I've noticed a few pocket carry folks around these parts put their beacon in a beer coozie. Not sure how functional it is for protection, but it adds a little padding and is more comfortable in the pocket.
    The beer coozie is actually so my pants don't get a hole worn in the pocket fabric. Works for phones, too

Quote Originally Posted by Going Coastal View Post
    Also works well for padding my phone in my cycling bibs pocket.

I mainly use the transceiver harness that it came with.

But, when teaching a class, I do say that if your going to put your transceiver in a pocket. Make it a pocket that even a Paris pickpocket could get into. And of course have a wrist loop or lanyard that will keep your transceiver attached to you AT ALL TIMES.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    I mainly use the transceiver harness that it came with.
    This is how I roll as well.

I know this is an old thread. But years ago I used to get teased for being paranoid and wearing my beacon between my thermals and my fleece. In the big aalanche in Les Contamines last week, rescue services found a jacket with a beacon in the pocket, but no person in the jacket.... they also found a depolyed ABS backpack with no person attached and the clips/buckles were not ripped off!
    Knowledge is Powder

Tranceivers should NEVER go in the jacket because jackets can be ripped off, particularly if unzipped, or more commonly, may be taken off
    Airbag packs must be worn fully clipped and buckled with a leg loop or there is a risk of them being pulled off

It is pretty amazing how few people wear the crotch strap on airbag packs.

I feel like it makes my pack more stable, especially if I'm popping off things it won't ride up and then slam down.

I think a lot of people just don't know how important it is. Others just find it a hassle or forget.

It certainly is an extra step that requires some or a lot of dexterity. I added a caribiner to the leg loop on my Scott to make it faster and easier. A medium sized wire gate is perfect. Some companies are including a caribiner.

I go in harness, between base layer and thin 1/4 zip fleece. Obv more layers on top of that for the ski down. Harness padding keeps screen secure, stays warm, outta the way, easily accessible, generally safe from accidental impact/damage, within the manufacturer's recommended carry, +30cm from other electronics, and easily transferrable if I wear different pants or whatever. I'm so used to it by now, doesn't bother me there at all. Between the hip belt, shoulder strap, and sternum strap, it feels pretty secure in there - but I can get to it when I need it. It just checks the most boxes imo.
    I see the argument for a pocket. Some guys I ski with do it and it seems fine, doesn't offend me. But my bibs don't have a roo pouch, and thing bouncing around all day in a hip or cargo pocket would make me crazy.

and +10 or whatever on replacing that tracker1. Signal might be so iffy on that thing .. might not matter where you carry it. How old must that be?

edit. just looking at the dates of the posts re tracker1.
    disregard that last thing. sigh.
    Last edited by MiddleOfNight; 04-15-2023 at 11:58 AM. Reason: dates.
    north bound horse.