Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Beacon in my bib pocket?

Just picked up some Baker bibs over the summer and wondered if the bib pocket woould be a safe place to keep a beacon while touring. I'll have to work out the elastic strap for searches but.....Bad idea?
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

Why not use the harness as it was intended and designed to be used?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Not a problem at all. Just attach leash to suspenders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Daheel, don't be da shitheel, what does your big head tell ya?
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

I put mine in my ski pants pocket.. (they are OR pants that actually have a pocket that is made to fit a beacon)

I figure if I get in a slide where my pants become separated from my body.. a beacon search isnt gonna help. I hate having stuff strapped to me.

^
    Rip, yeah I know you could "what if" this to death. However, what if... you grazed a tree branch while getting pushed around by a slide and it ripped your suit and...

Now of course you could be sarcastic and I did not detect it.
    Bet that pocket also fits an Ipod, or a pack of smokes just dandy.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

if you feel comfortable that it is secure and you will be able to get it out quickly in an emergency without making a mess, go for it.

Dunno about your specific uses, but several guides I know (and myself when the situation dictates) always keep their transceiver in an inner pocket (sometimes in the shell, or in an inner clothing layer). Main reason is that they wear a chest VHF radio harness (signal interference and harness x-over), and for ease of access for doing group checks.

yeah, the idea that a 1" plastic buckle on an external harness is more secure than the zippered pocket of a garment worn on your body is kinda weird. A pant leg pocket is susceptible to damage IMHO, but a chest pocket on a bib should be as good or better than the harness.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    ..Thanks!
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    ^
    Rip, yeah I know you could "what if" this to death. However, what if... you grazed a tree branch while getting pushed around by a slide and it ripped your suit and...

Now of course you could be sarcastic and I did not detect it.
    Bet that pocket also fits an Ipod, or a pack of smokes just dandy.
    yeah its more like a mesh pocket in a pocket. feels pretty secure and locked in. For as much as I hate extra shit strapped to me, i am willing to take that risk
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

I thought this thread was about bacon in your bib pocket (to aid in searches for dogs who love.... BAAAACON!)

Also since I am usually the one carrying the other beacon for our group, having it in a pocket makes it easy access to get out and give to the person who is going to search for the person who got buried.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Daheel, don't be da shitheel, what does your big head tell ya?
    You? a beacon harness Nazi? Tell me it ain't so g!

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    Also since I am usually the one carrying the other beacon for our group, having it in a pocket makes it easy access to get out and give to the person who is going to search for the person who got buried.
    Plus carrying two beacons ensures you'll be dug up first in any multiple burial scenario?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    yeah, the idea that a 1" plastic buckle on an external harness is more secure than the zippered pocket of a garment worn on your body is kinda weird. A pant leg pocket is susceptible to damage IMHO, but a chest pocket on a bib should be as good or better than the harness.
    I was taught "innermost layer". So, a fastex buckle under a bunch of other clothing. Beacons ain't the most robust things in the world; it also keeps them warmer. I guess if you are so dialed with rescuing that 2 seconds to unzip and extract the beacon is a big deal it's a big deal, me, I know a few seconds to clear the head produce better results. It's also because I don't always ski in studly bibs, light softshells without a pocket aren't conducive

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post

Plus carrying two beacons ensures you'll be dug up first in any multiple burial scenario?
    nah we just bring 2 for the entire group. One for the first skier, one for the last.

isnt that what everyone does?

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    nah we just bring 2 for the entire group. One for the first skier, one for the last.

isnt that what everyone does?
    Only for the YouTube lolz?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Only for the YouTube lolz?
    Do something dumb, profit.

guess I'd point out the obvious that if you are sweeping a slide from above, on skis, make sure you can hold your beacon on the lanyard and ski reading it.

swisseuros comfortable with front trouser pocket that zips downward to close.

Bibs are probably fine. Any avalanche that will destroy your bibs would kill you anyway. The catch is to make sure you don't rip the pocket.

I've started putting my beacon in my pants pocket for the reason that I usually end up in a t shirt while skinning and don't trust an exposed harness to keep my beacon on me. Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    swisseuros comfortable with front trouser pocket that zips downward to close.
    "Sometimes it's okay when someone finds my crotch before my airway, but not if I'm buried in an avalanche" - Craig Gordon, Utah Avalanche Center.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    "Sometimes it's okay when someone finds my crotch before my airway, but not if I'm buried in an avalanche" - Craig Gordon, Utah Avalanche Center.
    This is why I wear my beacon in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by DaHeel View Post
    Just picked up some Baker bibs over the summer and wondered if the bib pocket woould be a safe place to keep a beacon while touring. I'll have to work out the elastic strap for searches but.....Bad idea?
    What type/brand of transceiver do you have???
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"