Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    any evidence for a chest pocket being that much safer or just dumb luck on what can happen if caught in an avi?
    AFAIK there's no data on the effects of different beacon-carry locations. I usually wear mine in an appropriate pant/bib pocket, and personally would not carry it in a jacket.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

What Bean said... I have not seen any data or studies on beacon carry location. I carry mine in my front bib pocket the vast majority of the time. I wouldn't carry in a hip pocket because I fall too much and wouldn't carry in a jacket pocket because my jacket goes in my pack when skinning.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    You need to use a NERF Football to pad your practice beacon.
    Good idea, noted. Would travel a lot farther as well
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    You need to use a NERF Football to pad your practice beacon.
    You should patent that practice of yours and profit!
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    You should patent that practice of yours and profit!
    I wrote this article when I was working at CAIC. Enjoy....

Nerfball: an avalanche transceiver practice method.
    By: Halsted “Hacksaw” Morris

While teaching avalanche safety courses for the Colorado Avalanche Information Center (CAIC), one of the many things I always emphasized was that folks need to practice a lot with their avalanche rescue transceivers. Checking around the Internet, you’ll see on many forums that the general public seems to believe that if they’re using a digital transceiver that they don’t need to practice as much.

The truth is practice builds skills, and limited practice means no skills in a critical situation. Getting folks to practice with their transceivers has always been tough, especially if they are alone. What good is it to practice transceiver searches, if you are doing the hiding and the finding? Obviously doing solo transceiver practice isn’t very realistic.

Backcountry Access (BCA) has donated Beacon Basins, at various ski areas for folks to practice with their transceivers. They are basically a power box with on-off switches that are hard wired to fixed in place transmitters. At first I thought that these Beacon Basins are a great learning tool. But, what I have found is that they are not very realistic.

I say this because when folks are using a Beacon Basins it does not realistically represent what a real avalanche rescue transceiver search is like. My example of this, is when someone switches on the Beacon Basins they are already standing well within signal reception range of the victim. Now how many times do you think that happens in a real life accident?

So, folks don’t get a lesson in doing a larger area search and, trying to find the victim’s signal. With the shorter reception range on many digital transceivers it is critically important to conduct a proper initial search (i.e. how big and wide your zigzag search patterns are). I have also found that with Beacon Basins, once folks have found the buried transceivers the first time, they never really go back and use the Beacon Basin again. If they do, it really isn’t much of a practice session since they already know roughly where the buried transceivers are any way.

Ideally, it would be great to have a different and realistic transceiver search practice session each time. So, I got to thinking that it would be great to simply throw a transmitting transceiver over your shoulder, in order to hide the victim for solo transceiver practice. But, as tough as most transceivers are, it’s not recommended to be throwing them around. Finding away to pad a transceiver would be the way to make this solo transceiver practice possible. The solution to this problem arrived to me one day while shopping at Target. Target and King Soopers sell a small nine-inch Nerf football, for less then $10 in their toy department. A Nerfball is made of soft foam, suitable for indoor play. The nine-inch Nerf football is ideal for padding an avalanche transceiver. Here is how to make your own Nerfball transceiver practice ball.

Cut the football in half lengthwise, and then trace the outline of the transceiver you want to use with a marker. Then pinch the foam to rip it out. Do this until you make a form-fitting pocket for the transceiver. Then place the transmitting transceiver inside the pocket and use several large rubber bands to close the ball. But remember, make sure the transceiver is on transmit and working, before you secure the two half’s back together. Then place the Nerfball inside a small stuff sack. Now you’re ready to use the Nerfball.

Update 20150414: Nerfball has come out with a new ball called the Bashball. It is hallow inside and has holes that allow for cutting an entry slot and putting a transceiver inside the ball. Place the transceiver inside a zip-lock plastic bag and then inside the Bashball. The advantage of this new “Bashball” over the Nerf football is that the transceiver inside the ball has more opportunity to end up in unusual orientations (i.e., vertical, etc…) which makes for more difficult/unusual searches. I highly recommend the newer Bashball over the football.

A tear in my shoulder has left me lacking a John Elway strength arm for throwing a Nerfball. But, I have found that tossing the Nerfball over my shoulder down a steep slope helps the ball travel further away. I have also found that doing transceiver practice on a forested slope with plenty of undergrowth makes for better (i.e., more complicated) practice. Once you’ve thrown the Nerfball remain looking uphill and allow the ball a minute to “pinball” down the slope and to finally come to rest. So far, my old Pipes 457 transceiver has survived 250+ “huckings” inside the Nerfball.

Essentially with the Nerfball transmitter you’re doing a transceiver search without the victim’s last seen area to start from. This is usually the most difficult sort of transceiver search for most folks, other then a multiple burial type situation. My thinking is that practicing the most difficult type of searches should improve one’s transceiver skills the most.

Just like an on-snow search, you need to first acquire the victim’s transmitting transceivers signal. Since you don’t know the slidepath boundaries in doing a dry land solo transceiver practice, figure your slidepath to be at least 150’ wide (75 feet to either side of the spot you where standing when you threw the Nerfball). Once you have picked up the victim’s signal, you can then start to use your preferred search method (fluxline/tangent method or the older grid method).

Once you’re closing in on the victim, you may actual see the Nerfball. I see this as the only drawback to the Nerfball practice method. But, you can complete your search and practice your final pinpoint search just above the Nerfball transmitter, even while it is visible and sitting on the ground. A camouflage pattern stuff sack is one way to make the Nerfball even less obvious, until you’re almost on top of it.

Placing the Nerfball in a short white plastic trash bag can add to the camouflaging of the hidden transmitter for on-snow searches. I have found that doing Nerfball searches on steeper ski resort slopes can be very realistic too. Pick a slope that has plenty of bumps and benches on it. Toss the ball and wait. Then it becomes a matter of doing your zigzags back and forth across the slope. You’ll suddenly find you have to ski/board over bumps (i.e. avalanche debris) while at the same time working with your transceiver. This is much more realistic then doing a search on flat terrain in a Beacon Basin.

My objective here is to get you out and doing a lot of transceiver searches. If you have a big enough slope, they can get four or five practice searches in before hiking back up the hill to start all over again (gee, getting a workout in while doing transceiver practice); or making another lap at a ski area. So, there’s no reason to forgo doing transceiver practice just because you don’t have a partner or time.

A number of folks still have their older duel frequency transceivers (Ortovox F2, Arva 4000 and Ramer Avalert Duel) or older 457 Hz analog transceivers (Pieps 457 Ortovox F1) in the back of their equipment closets. And, there are a number of used older transceivers for sale out there that can be picked up at minimal cost. Camo stuff sacks can be found at your local hunting equipment stores.

The Nerfball transmitter practice method is easy, simple, cheap, realistic and a great way to get in a lot of great transceiver practice. With two or more Nerfball transmitters you can quickly become skilled at multiple transceiver searches.

I have had a number of avalanche professionals laugh when I pull out a Nerfball from my pack. But, once they tried the Nerfball practice method, they see the real value of it. And they end up using it. It doesn’t matter what brand of avalanche rescue transceiver you own. More important is that you’re skilled and confidant with your transceiver. The Nerfball transmitter is one way to improve your skills, during summer and winter. I hope you’ll try it out.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Not trying to Monday quarterback or be a nervous Nellie.

But fuck. The marble Avvy is scary. Airbag ripped off. Beacon removed from pants.
    I always like the security of the beacon harness.
    But ooof. RIP.

========

Some of Skier 2’s equipment was damaged in the avalanche. He wore an avalanche airbag pack He deployed it in the avalanche but the bag was ripped out of his pack during the violent descent. He also carried an avalanche rescue transceiver, but it was in a pocket on his bibs that closed with a flap and buckle. His transceiver came out of this pocket during the avalanche and was only attached to him by a thin lanyard. When the debris stopped, it was buried a few feet away from him. The manufacturers of avalanche transceivers typically supply a harness and often include recommendations on how to carry the rescue device. It is important to follow their recommendations and ensure the unit is in a secure location. The damage to Skier 2’s equipment is a good reminder that safety equipment can reduce, but not eliminate, the consequences of getting caught in an avalanche.

I dropped a tracker 1 at the resort when I stopped to take a leak. Didn't realize it at the time. For some reason I have 4 transceivers. when I went back and searched it the signal was al over the place in a 1.5 meter area? Spent a good deal of time shoveling before I found it

The entire thing is a tragedy, I cannot imagine what any of them went through.

It is important to note that Skier 2's beacon was:

in a pocket on his bibs that closed with a flap and buckle.
    and not in a proper pocket designed to carry a beacon. It sounds like he went over a cliff too, which explains the airbag. It is remarkable that Skier 1 survived the same trip.

Buddy of mine broke 2 ribs crashing on his radio and beacon. FWIW.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Buddy of mine broke 2 ribs crashing on his radio and beacon. FWIW.
    Yeah. But I try to get my beacon below my ribs.
    The fleshy underbelly.
    I think that’s safer than my thigh. Assuming things go fubar and your beacon hits a rock or tree.

I also like the harness. A reminder that you’re out on your own and need to make good decisions. If it were in my pants pocket it’s just a pants thing.

Ymmv.
    And respect to those that have passed.

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    I dropped a tracker 1 at the resort when I stopped to take a leak. Didn't realize it at the time. For some reason I have 4 transceivers. when I went back and searched it the signal was al over the place in a 1.5 meter area? Spent a good deal of time shoveling before I found it
    My friend Crazy Terry retired his tracker 1 because the signal went super weak/useless. This was a couple three years back during a beacon check at Monarch. Definitely older than dirt with more miles than it ever should have had. He replaced with T3.

A member of my touring party was caught in a slide many years ago in AK, on the ascent. It wasn't a particularly violent slide, but the harness still broke and the beacon lanyard was barely wrapped around one of his boot buckles. Sounds fairly similar to this accident, except he was only buried to his waist so it didn't matter. Bottom line to me is that the beacon is pretty vulnerable on the ascent unless you have layers on which for me means really cold temps.

I'm with Orion- the "flap and buckle" comment makes me think that it wasn't a very good pocket for this purpose. It at least needs a zipper.

I pocket carry. I think it's more protected. I think I can start a search faster since I don't need to fumble with my pack or jacket zippers. I think it's easier to maintain distance from other electronic devices like a radio. I don't think there is a correct answer.

IMO the correct answer is what works best for you as long as you have thought about it. I bruised my ribs on a Skadi back in 86. Those fuckers were hard with sharp edges and little to speak of for a harness.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I’m thinking that a slide that tears your airbag off and you lose your beacon by it being pulled from your pocket or being depantsed is unsurvivable

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Most likely.

re: beacons, I like the harness. Not that it's comfortable or anything, but it's consistent, and specifically designed for its purpose, so no second guessing. And I too retired my Tracker 1 (several years ago, actually).

I like wearing the beacon in a purpose built pocket with a zipper and a lanyard loop. It’s comfortable, not covered by layers and easier to get close to the snow surface.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I've used the Pieps and Mammut harnesses and I don't see how those flimsy plastic buckles are more secure than my pants which are held on me by both a belt and would be hard as hell to rip off my legs with my ski boots on. I'm 100% confident the beacon is more secure zipped into my pants pocket with the lanyard attached than in a harness. Most of the time I'm touring uphill in a base layer and no way am I wearing the harness under my base layer.

My Flylow Bakers have a "beacon pocket" with a d-ring for the lanyard that closes with a snap. I use it when I beep inbounds, but I use a zipper pocket on my touring pants.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I’m thinking that a slide that tears your airbag off and you lose your beacon by it being pulled from your pocket or being depantsed is unsurvivable
    I don't remember the exact quote, but I remember someone (Manuel Genswein maybe?) saying that in the data he never found a case of an avalanche death by suffocation, where the victim was missing his pants.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    My Flylow Bakers have a "beacon pocket" with a d-ring for the lanyard that closes with a snap. I use it when I beep inbounds, but I use a zipper pocket on my touring pants.
    This is what I was thinking about. The CAIC description sure sounds a lot like the beacon pocket on the Baker bibs. Which would probably be better if it was zippered, but overall is I think still a pretty good place to carry a beacon as long as you have a layer over it. Which also applies to the harness because....

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    A member of my touring party was caught in a slide many years ago in AK, on the ascent. It wasn't a particularly violent slide, but the harness still broke and the beacon lanyard was barely wrapped around one of his boot buckles.
    If you're caught when ascending, as both these parties were, that may make your beacon more vulnerable to being separated from your body whether it's in the harness or in a pocket. Part of the design is to have the beacon protected by a layer of clothing, yet it's common for folks to skin in their baselayer with the beacon exposed on warm days. I sure have.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Also this. Not all avalanches are survivable. The other two may have survived, but it seems like the specific ride this guy took probably was probably extremely violent.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    I've used the Pieps and Mammut harnesses and I don't see how those flimsy plastic buckles are more secure than my pants which are held on me by both a belt and would be hard as hell to rip off my legs with my ski boots on. I'm 100% confident the beacon is more secure zipped into my pants pocket with the lanyard attached than in a harness. Most of the time I'm touring uphill in a base layer and no way am I wearing the harness under my base layer.
    I agree. I was stoked to get another Barryvox this winter after having one 10 years ago but the harness does not seem secure nor is it particularly comfortable. The harness that came with my Tracker 3 is much nicer.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Hadn't read the full report yet, that is terrifying. That said, I fully trust the setup in my Strafe kit: mesh pocket in a zipper pocket with leash clipped to a mini loop inside

Not sure how common it is, but someone mentioned a few years ago that not all pockets are created equal.

Some pocket are glued on top of the rest of the pants, and can be ripped of the pant.

Others are one the «inside» of the pants, and are more secure. Can’t remember the source / if this actually matters in a slide.

Point being that pockets are different, and I think a lot of people don’t consider how their pants are made.

I carry in my pant, due to frequently touring without jacket

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    A member of my touring party was caught in a slide many years ago in AK, on the ascent. It wasn't a particularly violent slide, but the harness still broke and the beacon lanyard was barely wrapped around one of his boot buckles. Sounds fairly similar to this accident, except he was only buried to his waist so it didn't matter. Bottom line to me is that the beacon is pretty vulnerable on the ascent unless you have layers on which for me means really cold temps.

I'm with Orion- the "flap and buckle" comment makes me think that it wasn't a very good pocket for this purpose. It at least needs a zipper.

I pocket carry. I think it's more protected. I think I can start a search faster since I don't need to fumble with my pack or jacket zippers. I think it's easier to maintain distance from other electronic devices like a radio. I don't think there is a correct answer.
    In the couple avy classes I've taken, all the instructors also keep it in a pants pocket with a bungee harness for those exact reasons. I have a great small pocket that goes to the inside of the pant on my flylow tannen bibs that is on the front (not side) around the hip area, and then wrap the bungee around a belt loop and bib strap. I like how fast I can pull it out if the need arises.

As the bumper of this stale thread. I admit pants pockets can be secure. And plenty of experts use pants pockets for beacons. or. To play pocket pool?