Thumbs up TR: Dragon's Tail Couloir | RMNP, CO | Jan 6, 2013

With not much new snow in a week, clear skies, and warm temps over the last few days, I headed up to Bear Lake TH on Sunday with burnhard. And while meadow skipping does have its purpose, our love for the alpine and making the first trip of the season to a place many of us call home was in order. Easily my favorite playground and one that offers so much terrain and endless possibilities.

From Emerald Lake:

Some shitty pics of the terrain park:

Burnhard in the lower left corner making the climb up:

Not feeling a rush to get after it early, we had a leisure start from Bear Lake and quickly made our way to the base of the couloir. Along the way, some friends passed us on their way down after graciously putting in the bootpack for us and skiing from the crux. Conditions were good for them, but unfortunately for us, the sun started to make its way behind the mountains to the south effectively allowing for a steep descent on ice which again, is a refreshing break from more mellow terrain.

Burnhard in the choke and working his way down the lower part of the chute:

Token artsy exit photo:

In the end, it was a great day to be out in the mountains and couldn't have asked for more except for maybe a few more dozen feet of snow. Always a special treat to visit this area under blue skies and calm wind. So often we take our surroundings for granted and it's nice to take a step back for a brief moment and enjoy what we have ... even if it's on a super thin and icy line.

More photos here:
    http://thomas-armento.smugmug.com/Ot...uloir-20130106

nice!
    looks like pretty sweet ice there...for hockey...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Damn good stoke right here in one of the most spectacular spots in CO. Way to get after it in some obviously hairy conditions.

Excellent!

I don't know which end of the balance to focus on. Terrible snow or NO WIND! LOL.

Don't know if I will ever get there, but Dragon's Tail Couloir is on the bucket list.

Nice job not sitting around, but getting out and taking advantage of winter. It is only lasts so long and its moments must be seized

Always one of my favorites Glad you had a good day out!
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

I <3 Dragon's Tail. Fun first couloir of the season. So many more to hit!

Nice work! haven't been up to Tyndall in a while, need to get back there soon
    Corner store junkies giving advice

Quote Originally Posted by BurnHard View Post
    I <3 Dragon's Tail. Fun first couloir of the season. So many more to hit!
    Carcass toss this weekend!