Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Haines questions???

Yeah I searched so....

Does Seaba suck? I like the vibe at AK Heli ski but Im not sure why. I think I just like the name "Sean Dog"
    Id like to get some opinions from people that know a bit about both.

Also- Pre Pay?

Every Op wants you to Pre Pay- I would never do that in Valdez. I think you could always find a seat, but there are many more options in Valdez.

Has anyone seen a person or group get stuck because they paid by the day? I find it hard to believe but I guess its possible.

Lastly whats the best travel options and lodging??

Other than that Im fucking stoked to be planning this trip- woot!!

From everything I hear (from non heli skiing people even), Sean Dog is the man.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    From everything I hear (from non heli skiing people even), Sean Dog is the man.
    This...hands down go with AK Heli (guides are great, too).

However, I call BS on your search as there is at least one massive AK Heli thread on this board
    You should have been here yesterday!

With the new and improved Funny Farm to stay at AK Heli will be fun. Bruce gave me a tour while it was under construction and that place is super nice now (old one burned down before I arrived last year) Try to get a group to fill a Heli so you aren't getting shuffled around.

Went with seba in 2009. Great group of guys. They get my vote

I went with AK Heli for 4 years straight. If you are concerned about payment and pre-payment etc. they have a great model. I've never been to Seaba but I don't think you could go wrong with them either although the payment structure seems a bit less flexible. Contact MontanaMike through this forum and he'll get you straightened out.

If you go to AK Heli (33 mile) the all time best place I've stayed is at Wild Kyle's trailer's. They are walking distance from the heli pad (which is desirable). One of them has the cleanest hot tub I've ever seen (seriously). They have wifi internet access and best of all they are level. Yes that's right...being level is a perk. PM me for contact details. I don't feel great about posting his info on the web without permission.

As far as travel? Getting to Haines is a bit of a pain. Especially if you are going through Seattle (Canadians have to fly to Seattle first). You have to time your arrival in Juneau with the ferry. If you choose to fly from Juneau to Haines weather could be a factor. If you can get a flight to Whitehorse I'd advise that. Then rent a car a drive 3 hours directly to 33 Mile. Maybe renting a car isn't in the budget but if you don't have a vehicle at 33 Mile, you'll feel like a real heel constantly relying on the staff to drive you around. If you go with Seaba that's not an issue cause you'd be staying in town.
    First 360 mute grab --> Andrew Sheppard --> Snowdrifters 1996

This may not be the year to go to Haines. Wendigo mentioned in his tr that things were not looking good I have got the same report. I plan to be there in the next few weeks so can give a more up today report
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    This may not be the year to go to Haines. Wendigo mentioned in his tr that things were not looking good I have got the same report. I plan to be there in the next few weeks so can give a more up today report
    Pretty early to make that call. Anything can happen. I went the dreaded drought year Powtron got screwed skiing 2ft sastrugi. It snowed about 4ft the day before our arrival and we skied some mind blowing terrain and deep pow. It's all a crap shoot.

Seandog is the man! AK heli has been flying in SE Alaska since heli-skiing began. Do it.

FunnyFarm will be too much fun. No-brainer to stay there. Man camp.

I have seen folks get into killer groups as a single. Many times.

DudeLe's travel advice is spot on. No problem driving you around, I wouldn't worry much too much if you don't have a car as long as you are staying out the road and not in town.

Although BFD has far more time in AK then I do, it seems absurd to make snowpack/condition assessments about months away in coastal Alaska.
    Drive slow, homie.

one more vote for ak heli and the funny farm.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by DudeLebowSKI View Post
    Pretty early to make that call. Anything can happen. I went the dreaded drought year Powtron got screwed skiing 2ft sastrugi. It snowed about 4ft the day before our arrival and we skied some mind blowing terrain and deep pow. It's all a crap shoot.
    Ah yes, the memories...hahaha. That was all time terrible timing on my part.

I will get back this spring or next to redeem my soul

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    Ah yes, the memories...hahaha. That was all time terrible timing on my part.

I will get back this spring or next to redeem my soul
    I felt so bad for you guys. I had another friend at Seaba who flew home the day it snowed.

squaw valley usa international mountain resort
    I've made 7 trips to AK. Tried the RV in Valdez, Stayed in Hotel in Valdez X 2, and went to Points North x 3. Last year I went to SEBA for the first time. I was absolutely blown away by the easy access to scary terrain. All of the other places I have been, I kept thinking to myself, lets hit that peak....Why the fuck aren't we skiing that right there??? At SEBA we were able to go straight to the scariest shit of all time. I remember standing on a knife edge ridge thinking.....If I throw my skis down, I won't have to ski this. That doesn't mean they take you beyond your ability. In fact, I was very impressed with their safety and line choice. We had a very strong group of 4 and perfect conditions. You just need to be careful what you wish for. That place is the real deal. I can't say enough good things about Scott Sunberg and crew. If you nail it, it's a life changer. Do whatever it takes to go.

Quote Originally Posted by obscure reference View Post
    I remember standing on a knife edge ridge thinking.....If I throw my skis down, I won't have to ski this.

Coming from you thats a bold statement, Im looking forward to shitting my pants

We have group of 4 and I think we are shooting for the Funny Farm although Wild Kyles sounds to be worth checking out. Im pretty sure our group would fit in at either location. The conditions is the main reason I dont want to prepay. Getting skunked and losing $3500 would be depressing, getting skunked and buying a Carbon Nomad when you get home is not that depressing.

We'll have touring gear and realistic expectations on fly days. Gerome is a good luck charm so I think it will be epic.

Great info in here, thanks for posting and Im buying beers for any mags in Haines!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    and you will!

SEABA or AK Heli would both be good as they are in Haines...which seeing the previous posts I concur that you will be afraid, in a good way. The ridges, spines, and sheer steepness are astounding. Our first run was down something that most people don't even get to ski in Valdez. Thank you to AK Heli and Tim Tom for scaring the smartwool off of us right out the gate

The terrain is the absolute REAL DEAL, even when we went and skied bulletproof wind waves.

I have some thoughts about getting skunked and spending 5K+ (went ALL OUT), but I look back on our trip a couple of seasons ago and it still accomplished changing me as a person and to be a much more selective skier and adventurist.

Hope it starts dumping up there...it can literally change overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post

We have group of 4 and I think we are shooting for the Funny Farm although Wild Kyles sounds to be worth checking out. Im pretty sure our group would fit in at either location. The conditions is the main reason I dont want to prepay. Getting skunked and losing $3500 would be depressing, getting skunked and buying a Carbon Nomad when you get home is not that depressing.

We'll have touring gear and realistic expectations on fly days. Gerome is a good luck charm so I think it will be epic.

Great info in here, thanks for posting and Im buying beers for any mags in Haines!!
    Where do you get the $3500 number from? We have been tossing this idea around as well but I was looking at numbers like $5k.

Also, I have heard from some local folks that Funny Farm is the place to be this year.

$3500 is for four days or 24 runs, could be 3 days I suppose. I wouldnt want more than 8 runs in a day. I think it included 8 days of hotel as well? Another guy from the group had that conversation so Im totally sure.

I could see there being alot of folks being in Haines pre tailgate. That could be an issue with regards to not reserving. Decisions decisions

When are you going? I will be there first week of April. Funny Farm for sure, it's brand new now and dope. I have been to Haines 2x and don't think I personally know of anyone that has gotten skunked there, although I'm sure it's happened

Im looking forward to shitting my pants
    Be careful what you wish for.

Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    I have been to Haines 2x and don't think I personally know of anyone that has gotten skunked there, although I'm sure it's happened

Be careful what you wish for.
    OHHHH, It has happened. 180mph winds for a week straight before arrival, also coinciding with ultra low tide for an entire season (2010).

But that was the worst season in the past 25 years from my understanding. We were there in March.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    Where do you get the $3500 number from? We have been tossing this idea around as well but I was looking at numbers like $5k.

Also, I have heard from some local folks that Funny Farm is the place to be this year.
    I think you could do a trip for $5K all in including flight. For me, it's become quality over quantity. My first time there I was so fixated on not getting skunked and wanting the bird to fire up at the mere glimpse of every blue spot. You can have an all time trip for half the money that I spent in my first couple trips. In my opinion, spending your money on 2-3 perfect days is far better than showing up and skiing 6 straight regardless of conditions just cause you are scared of 'not getting your vert' or a possible 'slow roast'. Maybe that's just me. 'Z' probably has some pretty good insights on this.

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    OHHHH, It has happened. 180mph winds for a week straight before arrival, also coinciding with ultra low tide for an entire season (2010).

But that was the worst season in the past 25 years from my understanding. We were there in March.
    I heard about the low tide year.... my condolences. I blew my achilles that year and had to cancel my trip, not sure which one is worse... The 2 times I've been we have skied 5+ days each time, all hero snow with the exception of the last ~ half day, which was still pretty fucking good. Last year, first day, I woke up at home in Tahoe and AK Heli had us standing on top of a peak staring down a line by 4pm. It was surreal. Went straight from the airport to 33mile, changed into our shit and geared up the parking lot, got briefed, then jumped in the bird with TimTom. Not many operations will do that.

I was with a group that got skunked in mid April. Only 3 runs in out of 30. Shit happens, got drunk in Juneau.

so hows the season shaping up?
    anyone in the know? I have only the very limited acces to the cilmate data from Noaa which keeps telling me it is a below average year. (and that it was mcuh better last year. grrmbl)
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

PM Ted Shred

"nuff said
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.