Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Idaho Falls Beta please

So Mags I have a follow up interview with an Idaho Falls company next week. Great company, would be stoked to work for them. I searched and found a little bit of info on IF but mostly vibes........

So skiing wise how long am I looking to get to Targhee and Pebble creek on powder days? Is Jackson doable for day trips? Also, any good mellow touring close to Idaho Falls?

Any parts of town I should avoid living in if I make the move? Any recommendations for nicer apartments? Looks like renting a house/condo might be doable as well. Any of the suburb towns worth taking a look at?

Is the YMCA climbing gym any good?

I'll probably have more questions later, I'm pretty intrigued as it's somewhat close to a lot of cool shit it sounds like. And it would be a big change for a lifelong Californian. Appreciate the help!

You're not too far away from Targhee and still a reasonably short drive (90 minutes?) to JHMR. Lots of great fishing within an hour or two. that being said, they don't call it Idaho's Balls for nothing. Maybe living East of town in the sticks--and closer to the hills-- would be a good compromise?

Are you LDS?
    Because that is a pretty key factor in whether or not people are happy there. Certainly there are exceptions (like making a shitload of money, and having a second home in Teton valley), but it's fairly rare.

Idaho Falls is sorta like buttfuck, North Dakota...without all of the culture.

IF is a flat dump. It's 90 min from Targhee. Po dunk towns between Driggs and IF include Swan valley and Teton, either of which I would take over IF any day.

The great thing about Idaho Falls is if the end of the world ever comes it will take 20 years to get there.

Definitely not LDS. This is encouraging...lol. Keep it coming, i think.

It's better than Fresno.

Rent in victor, an hour each way and on weekends you are at the goods. Cereal.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Rent in victor, an hour each way and on weekends you are at the goods. Cereal.
    Truth.

Id gladly make that commute over living in IF. Outside of Pine Creek, which is tame compared to the pass, that drive is easy peasy. Dont take this as fact, but Ive pretty much hauled ass both ways on that route and nary a cop to be reckoned with.

On a pow day Jackson would be two hours me thinks, plus the pass could close. You could tour pretty much anywhere off the commute there as well. The last hour coming from IF is pretty much point and shoot on big mountains to tour.

Downfalls? The town is ugly as hell. Ive never been bothered by LDS, but havent really been exposed either (from a Teton Valley perspective). Stuff really isnt all that cheap there (day to day things) when you get down to it, its ugly again.

One thing I must say is that the ski club down there has some great people and some solid deals (not sure on the current crop) on ski trips, day passes, etc. They don't care about being rad and have a good time. A lot of them go to Kelly Canyon northeast of town and its supposedly a solid family joint if you got some young ones.

Thought about buying? I own two rentals there (currently locked up long term sorry) but they were stupid cheap and real estate in IF is going to be nothing like Cali. Can see the thought of maybe not wanting to be tied down with a house though as well and would probably go that route myself if I was skeptical.
    Live Free or Die

Thanks guys, keep it coming. I'm thinking if things move forward rent in town for a short time to see what I think and then if I'm into it long term to look into buying, maybe closer to Victor. Looks like buying is almost cheaper than renting. Stoked on the trout fishing at least. I'll probably drive out withing the next 2-3 weeks to check it out, probably try to get a day in at Targhee while out.

Not a lot to add. Great fishing around IF. 1.5-2 hour drive to Targhee or JH. Living in Victor and commuting to IF would take a solid hour.

You Teton Valley Idaho peeps must really like driving.

My wife commutes from victor to IF and it is an hour 20 in winter. When the wind blows driving through the farm flats is scary than driving Teton Pass.

There is almost always a cop between the snake river rim and the turn to Kelly Canyon during the commute hours. But you can go 70 and not be hassled.

The drive from IF to Jh takes the exact same amount of time as to GT.

As others said, live east of IF and be out of town faster saving 15 plus of going through lights.

Renting and figuring it out is the way to go.

If IF is the only play you have to get close to mountains and earn a decent paycheck then don't let the detractions stop you.

The town is completely devoid of charm, like others said, but there are alot of dentists to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    You Teton Valley Idaho peeps must really like driving.
    yes/no. Teton Pass [imho] is no big deal- 25 minutes, appropriate speeds when the conditions are bad, best plowing in the state of Wyoming, and during the commute hours people generally know how to drive.

But, like Stanley nailed, the flats, either west of Swan Valley or even between Victor and Driggs, can be totally suckful. 5mph kind of slowness...

lots of options..........
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

The fishin is fuckin great! Close to tons of water. I know folks from there and some that live there. I get the same opinion of it anytime I ask! And, it ain't good! There are certainly worse places tho. I think little big lost is from there. Maybe he will chime in??
    If you can stand living in relative solitude and wanna fish and ski without driving pine creek everyday, check out swan valley. 30mins from IF. An hr to Targhee and fishin is right there. Mormon valley but if u don't piss anyone off you'd be alright. Beautiful valley too!

Idaho's Balls? Lulz. Hadn't heard that one before.
    +1 on being ugly and the whole LDS thing. I've always heard of IF as the armpit of Idaho. It fits.

A wise real estate investor once told me; "where to do you want to wake up in the morning?" Something to think about weighing IF vs. living elsewhere in the Teton Valley.

I met some downhillers that made the drive about twice a week to shuttle the pass in the summer time. Good people and if you downhill, they're probably easy to link up with.

The flipside is that your'e about 90+ minutes to Big Sky if the Ghee or JH aren't producing. So there's that ...

Thanks for the info, and laughs. If it goes through I guess I'll try to make the best of it. I won't even ask about the ladies of east Idaho...

Negatives: It's a cultural void that looks like an asshole.
    Positives: World class hunting and fishing, a little over an hour to JH or Targhee and 2.5 hours to the Wood River Valley for more hunting/fishing/mountain biking

Personally I think it would be a pretty rad place to live if it weren't for the people.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Sig if the Ghee and Jackson are off, it's rare Big Sky is on....

And yeah, lady quantity/quality are pretty radically different between IF and here.

They are called Spud-Butts for a reason......
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Sig if the Ghee and Jackson are off, it's rare Big Sky is on....

And yeah, lady quantity/quality are pretty radically different between IF and here.
    Heh. Caked on makeup, black lip liner, hair gel and flaunting muffin tops. Did I miss anything?

If you don't mind driving, not a bad place geographically. If you like normal people that don't judge, you will be driving a lot. If you are LDS, should be easy going.

No one has mentioned it, but UT skiing is about 2.5 hours away as well. Good mountain biking out of Teton Valley, Pocatello, Twin Falls, Wood River. Hunting and fishing are off the charts all around you.

I look at it like everything cool is within 3 hours. Nothing cool within 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicks View Post
    Heh. Caked on makeup, black lip liner, hair gel and flaunting muffin tops. Did I miss anything?
    Well, they are still rocking 'The Claw'...
    But this has overtaken it.
    especially with 'blowouts' or whatever that shit is called.
    Last edited by rideit; 01-02-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	if-temple1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	769.8 KB 
ID:	129225
    <insert godly music>............

I just applied for a job out here - I remembered seeing the thead - bummed at what it contains. lol. Idaho's Balls. That's a good one.