Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I'm finding 30Tx11-36 on the new 29er is pretty awesome. I'll decide how badly I want those extra 2 teeth on the 38T ring after the regular big climb ride comes back online in the spring. With some luck I'll simply have gotten strong enough to manage.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesN'Cream View Post
    I'm finding 30Tx11-36 on the new 29er is pretty awesome. I'll decide how badly I want those extra 2 teeth on the 38T ring after the regular big climb ride comes back online in the spring. With some luck I'll simply have gotten strong enough to manage.
    All I read here is that you need a bigger bike!

It probably cost about as much as an XXI group.
    Seems like a viable alternative to me... and it's Shimano : )

No one seems to know what happened to the Hope design. It seemed pretty awesome in theory but that was over two years ago. I suspect cost to manufacture of durability must have been an issue.

I'm in the works on getting the Canfield Microdrive 10 speed setup. My only issue now is finding a 31t 104bcd chainring since Homebrewed apparently took my money and ran. Plan to go with XT shifter, Shadow+ Zee rear D, and a 31t ring on my old SLX double crankset since I can't kill it. If I come across some cash I may give XO DH cranks with an MRP bling ring a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    My only issue now is finding a 31t 104bcd chainring since Homebrewed apparently took my money and ran.
    Care to explain? Did you contact them? Homebrewed is the only place I can find a ring for my current setup so I really hope they aren't pulling that kind of shit.

You better read this.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/h...rs-831133.html

The last page of this 55 page thread is probably enough.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/h...ml#post7871743
    Last edited by rideit; 01-08-2013 at 10:43 PM.

Yeah, ordered a ring and bash back in June. Order confirmed, money taken, and no response to anything since. Seems I'm one of maybe hundreds stuck in the situation. His payment were all via paypal and he claimed 6 week lead time which allowed any recourse through paypal to expire. Out of nowhere he posted on his facebook a couple months back that he had numerous quality control and health issues and was going to ship a big batch stretching back nearly a year. Now he's awol again and no one has received anything. Still hope to get my order but not holding my breath. Sucks as he made some very unique stuff that you can't find anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    You better read this.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/h...rs-831133.html

The last page of this 55 page thread is probably enough.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/h...ml#post7871743
    Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    Yeah, ordered a ring and bash back in June. Order confirmed, money taken, and no response to anything since. Seems I'm one of maybe hundreds stuck in the situation. His payment were all via paypal and he claimed 6 week lead time which allowed any recourse through paypal to expire. Out of nowhere he posted on his facebook a couple months back that he had numerous quality control and health issues and was going to ship a big batch stretching back nearly a year. Now he's awol again and no one has received anything. Still hope to get my order but not holding my breath. Sucks as he made some very unique stuff that you can't find anywhere else.
    Yikes...
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

32t HBC here on an Element 950 with 11-36 XO cassette. Rarely spin out (like 3x/yr) and climbs the shore tech well. Never drop chains with the mrpClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357881612.276903.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	130100

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah! View Post
    X9 9 speed 32x11-34. Haven't yet found a convincing reason to change, despite kidwoo's clutch derailleur treatise.
    Heh.

Go ride one.

They'll ruin you.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

So how much does this make my slightly used 31t HBC worth? I must of just gotten in before the mega meltdown. It took 2 months to get though. While waiting I bought a MRP 2x guide and have since barely used it.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I wanted a 33, 34 and 35.

Glad i didn't get HomeScrewed....

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I wanted a 33, 34 and 35.

Glad i didn't get HomeScrewed....
    north shore billet should have you covered

i'll be keeping the bottom pulley on my g3 regardless of clutch or no clutch. i've had zero issues with the g3 on both bikes. great product. i'm thinking the clutch should quite things, stop chain jumping possibly over the top of cassette, and bouncing chain off spokes. i have older crossmax sl wheels and recently broke a couple spokes as the chain wears them. probably get new 142mm wheels but good chance they'll have alu spokes

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    north shore billet should have you covered
    Hunh, it doesn't look like they make chainrings. Certainly not ramped/pinned?

ooops, looks like they're in the works. some cool options though http://bb.nsmb.com/showpost.php?p=2716454&postcount=19

Hah, too funny he is skipping 35.

why a 35 instead of 34 or 36?i can see 31t because it is the very smallest for a spider.will you be running single ring?i was hoping for removeable spiders on shimano cranks and change rings but now i'm thinking 32 or 34t ring with burly 26 wheels dh cassette and chain to match and lighter 650b with that mega range aftermarket cassette and chain to match. as per beta in this thread, it looks like a med or long cage der should work. maybe i need a 33t

Bumping this older thread. I was chatting with someone who owns a shop around here who strongly advised against using a 40t cassette with my XT Shadow+ medium cage RD. He said the b-tension screw would need to be forced to its limit to clear, and it puts extra stress on the derailleur and hanger.

Is there any validity to these concerns?

I bent the 3rd largest cog on my XT cassette, so the General Lee cogset is looking like an appealing fix.

I'm running a 1 x 10 with 30T wolftooth and a XT clutch with no chain guide. The 30T ring is small enough that i ditched the bash guard as well. Bike is maybe 2 pounds lighter. I'm getting all the range I need and the bike is lighter and quieter. Having once less part to adjust, maintain and worry about breaking etc is an added bonus. Haven't dropped a chain yet, and probably never will. No going back for me.

1x10 11-36 with a 30t widgit front ring/guide and x9 medium cage on a 2010 stumpy since last year. Very happy, no dropped chains. Would probably go wolftooth and clutch der if I was to to the same upgrade now.

I've been on a 32T wolftooth with a Zee RD lately and it's perfect.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Also 30t Wolf / 11-36 / Zee.
    Threw the chain once before tightening the clutch — Zee was bought used from a buddy. No problems since.
    That said I'll probably run a top guide for security at some point.

As usual waiting for Shimano to answer back with their x1 option.
    They would totally win with a system that only required a new rear derailleur, front ring and wider range cassette.

1x10 w/ xx1 crank(cheaper than XO), 11-36 cassette, XO shifter, XO type 2 RD

Have a 32T or 34T ring to swap out up front, not sure how the 34T will be since its a 29er. Always ran a 34T on my Nomad.

^ just ordered the same for a new build except I went with X9 instead of X0. And a 32t front ring.

Also ordered a MRP AMG to go with it. Probably don't need the guide with the clutch der but I wanted the taco to protect the ring.

1x10 on the Yelli Screamy using an 11-36 out back with a no-name 32T ss ring up front all held together with an SLX Shaddow Plus clutch RD.
    This shit is silent. So quiet and crisp that it's painful riding a bike with a 2x/3x setup and/or a non-clutch RD.
    As far as the chainring goes, I can't see what advantage I'd get out of an xx1 style chainring. The only reason I'd consider would be to go smaller than 32T, but for the cost it's just not happening right now.

How are people liking the clutch derailleurs with 2x and 3x drivetrains? I rented a 3x bike in Italy for a week and it was like having a chandelier hanging from my crank. Wondering if a clutch RD would have helped much.