Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: hug a patroller

Thanks to all of the 'trollers who keep us safe, put up with the BS and pull us out of trouble when, despite your efforts, we go astray. All the best to you and yours!

Thanks, for not having the sense to come in from the cold.

To a happy and better New Year.

Spent the day working in the pouring rain. Hadn't been here for a few days and just reading this thread made my day. Thanks for all the thanks.

You are welcome. I can't explain why we do it other than we love skiing and love to see others enjoying the sport. Hearing just a single person say "Thanks" makes the bleary-eyed early morning commutes to the mountain, the frozen fingers and toes, wrecked gear, and all the other crap fade in to the background. Reading this thread made my day.
    I'm still looking forward to the hugs. Especially from hot chicks.

I do it for the free pass and pro deals.

Big props to all patrollers, thanks for all your hard work and dedication!!

Gotta give an extra special thanks to the Bridger Bowl ski patrol for watching out for me, my family and friends with great professionalism.

Bozone mags come support em with a fundraiser this Friday @ the Filler with a raffle and live music!

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Do what I do; Buy them a couple pitchers of beers at their local watering hole at the end of the day, you fucking cheap bastards
    This.

Growing up with my father as a patroller, I never appreciated how hard they work and how little people recognize it. But I definitely recognized that they appreciated a pitcher after a long day.

I let drunk patrollers shoot bottle rockets at me last night, does that count?

Thanks to all of you guys and gals, specifically, Whistler and Blackcomb Patrol crews. I hope to never need any of you to pull my ass out of a hard place, but thanks in advance if you ever do. This thread has made me want to go pester you guys at work, to thank you in person for being so damn awesome. Keep that shit up!

Quote Originally Posted by linds-o-rama View Post
    Depends...

Quote Originally Posted by linds-o-rama View Post
    I say hell yes!

I got random spontaneous patroller hugs at a party last night. Was re-introduced to a guy who I helped with a femur fracture a couple years ago. It was quite a movie... His wife and sister both gave me big hugs. When I tried to say that I was just doing my job, they reminded me that it was my day off.

I forgot I had a bunch of bottle rockets in the garage. I think I'm going to ambush and shoot the rookies.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

hug a patroller

From Bear Valley's website

We love our ski patrollers!

More often than not, being on patrol is a real fun job. You get to do some stuff that is very cool.
    The thing that gets me every time though is what happens when things are definately not cool. When you are in the shit, the knowledge that the rest of the crew is literally moving mountains to help you is amazing.
    I think most patrols are pretty tight knit crews, but I also feel like it is a relatively small community across North America. You meet a lot of other patrol through exchanges and such, and it starts to feel like a pretty small world. My heart goes out to the folks at Squaw, and the families involved. Know that we're behind you though we're far away, and that we would move mountains to help if we could.. I know how hard it must be for that crew right now and I know they are all leaning heavily on one another.
    Take care folks, thinking about you all.

If you want to hug a patroller Squaw is a pretty good place to do it
    Name:  women of sq.JPG
Views: 497
Size:  570.0 KB

Or you could just buy the calendar.

vibes to the squaw crews
    and my local 49Ners
    my 1st sled ride was in '75
    spiral
    embrace the gape
    and believe

i kind of fell into the job 6 years ago and it was easily one of the best decisions I've ever made(maybe not financially). I've experienced some of the best feeling in the world while working and some of the worst. I wouldn't trade it for any other job. Saying thanks or being asked how your day is going really goes a long way.

We are working on a card for the guys at Squaw, two of our patrollers are going down there for an exchange soon so our vibes will be sent in person.

Nobody has hugged me yet. But kind words do make your day better. There is one guy who ocmes and chats whenever he sees a patroller because "you should have at least one non-work related interaction every day."

They're doing a memorial sweep for Joe tomorrow afternoon at SV. Sorta like a paddle out. I won't be there but I'll holler his name while I'm closing my hill.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    I won't be there but I'll holler his name while I'm closing my hill.
    That’s awesome.

mad props, much respect.

They're doing a memorial sweep for Joe tomorrow afternoon at SV. Sorta like a paddle out. I won't be there but I'll holler his name while I'm closing my hill.

Mike- really great idea- yell a couple extra for those who can't be out there with you. Some can't stay for sweep.
    The local memorials sort of started last night, with a large one planned for this morning at the church the family attended.
    The community really pulls together in the times of need. The "go fund me" is awesome.
    Sometimes ya gotta stop at the top and remember all of the names, takes a while, like counting rosary beads.
    Think I'll wait a week or so, but Mikey- I'll give (insert cranky old patrolman) at AM a big squeeze and tell him it's from you... keep 'em safe guys.
    Last edited by wolfy; 01-27-2017 at 06:06 PM.
    "if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind..."

Thanks!

I'm headed to BV for my kid's ski race this weekend. Going to work the race so they can concentrate on getting Griz open. They've got enough to think about.

Vibes to family and friends of Joe!! And yes, hug, thank and buy beers for those 'rollers who make it all possible for us and save our asses when things go bad!