2012/13 Dynafit Speed Radical Heel Pins Spacing Issue.

I've been unable to adjust my new 2012/13 Dynafit Speed Radical bindings to my satisfaction. No matter what the boot-binding spacing, I haven't been able to eliminate the obvious clunking play at both heels. It's not enough to cause unwanted release, but a noticeable and annoying lack of precision. My otherwise identical 2011/12 Dynafit Speed Radical bindings do not have this problem (adjusted half a turn tighter than the spacer). I finally got around to assessing both set-ups on my workbench, and when I measured and compared the spacing of the heel-piece pins with calipers, the 2012/13 pins are wider, by an amount (perhaps 0.5mm) sufficient to explain my problem. Both the 2011/12 heel-piece pins and both 2012/13 pins have identical spacing, which would seem to eliminate the (unlikley) possibility of damage being the issue. I'll be following up with Dynafit/Salewa as soon as I get a day off from skiing powder, but I'm curious of other's experiences. Note that my boots are new Dynafit Titan UL, and the binding mounts are perfect.

. . . and the little ridges on the baseplate still don't stop the heelpiece from auto-rotating . . .

I finally got around to borrowing some high quality (non-digital) Vernier calipers to measure what I perceived to be varying heel piece pin spacing in between two pairs of Dynafit Speed Radical bindings. I drew the calipers between the pins, to measure the distance between the inside surface of the pins at their narrowest point (just back from the end). On my 2011/12 Speed Radicals the spacings were 14.3mm and 14.4mm. For the 2012/13 model the spacings were 14.6mm and 14.7mm. For comparison I also measured my partner’s 2009/10 Vertical ST bindings at 14.5mm and 14.6mm. Now that I’ve meausured it, I’m feeling a little bit like the Princess (and the pea), but the small amount (I couldn’t work out how to measure it) of clunking play is still obvious to me in the 12/13 bindings. I e-mailed Dynafit/Salewa, but haven’t received a reply.

Interesting. I just got a replacement plastic heel piece(not the base, just the white plastic part with the risers) as one of mine broke(likely due to the pin issue) and so now I have 1 11/12 heel and 1 12/13 heel. I haven't skied on the new heel yet but will report once I get the chance to try it.

Another thing to measure, the width of the white plastic spacer between the pins at the front. Perhaps they changed molds?

Dynafit USA/Salewa acknowledged that the heel pin spacing specification has been widened, but with no explanation beyond that it was a Dynafit Europe decision. They suggested I buy Plum. WTF! I queried the NA Plum distributor about purchasing heel units, but received no reply. Rather than buying and mounting new bindings, it seems relatively simple to produce aftermarket boot heel insert plates that work with the new specification. I'm looking into it. Any ideas on who might be up to such a task?

What boots do you have? How old are they? Is it possible it's your boots exacerbating the problem?

They're Titan ULs, purchased as new at the same time as the problematic bindings, and they work fine with my older Radicals and Vertical STs that have narrower pin spacing. It's the pin spacing that's the issue.

Is it actually a problem when you ski? I've had a bit of pin/heel fixture play with some boot/binding combos, but AFAICT it's not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Is it actually a problem when you ski? I've had a bit of pin/heel fixture play with some boot/binding combos, but AFAICT it's not a problem.
    I feel it, see it, hear it, and it annoys the shit of me. I hold it responsible for several instances of premature release while skiing, and while difficult to quantify (I don't have another pair of Lotus 138's to compare with), mechanically it must be compromising the precision and performance that I value in my skiing. I’m forced to ski much more conservatively than I can with my 2011/12 bindings (mounted on Wailer 112s). Check out these videos to compare the amount of play.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Dynafit USA/Salewa acknowledged that the heel pin spacing specification has been widened, but with no explanation beyond that it was a Dynafit Europe decision. They suggested I buy Plum. WTF!
    maybe they figure that you, a customer complaining about fractions of mm's, isn't worth retaining as a customer? sounds like they can't do anything about it anyways. At least they offered an alternative.

Check out these videos to compare the amount of play.
    Yeah, I might notice the play on the newer one. How about putting a stomp block under the boot heel, a la Plum Yak, to tighten up that gap? I've done that to a pair of soft-under-foot skis and they seemed to ski a bit better -- although it may be a mere placebo effect.

I hold it responsible for several instances of premature release while skiing....138's

I’m forced to ski much more conservatively than I can with my 2011/12 bindings (mounted on Wailer 112s).
    I do not doubt you know exactly what is going on. But ski width may be a factor in release?

Anyway, my eyes continue to glaze over with what is and is not good/bad with Radicals. I can't keep up. So I'm still buying Verticals. However I may try brakeless Plums this year on some new 138s just to know more about them. May as well get new knowledge in return for my hard-earned.
    Life is not lift served.

they don't make Verticals anymore, I've only seen Vert ST (10din) in stock recently. I have Verts & the g/f has Radicals. I'll likely grab another pair of Rad's (need another set) so at least we can interchange spare parts etc.

Watched your video's, sure its noticeable. Since its vertical play hw about the stomp block like Steve mentioned.
    Does adjusting the fore/aft position of the heel piece make any difference? Seems so minor so it might only need a minor adjustment to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    they don't make Verticals anymore, I've only seen Vert ST (10din) in stock recently. I have Verts & the g/f has Radicals. I'll likely grab another pair of Rad's (need another set) so at least we can interchange spare parts etc.

Watched your video's, sure its noticeable. Since its vertical play hw about the stomp block like Steve mentioned.
    Does adjusting the fore/aft position of the heel piece make any difference? Seems so minor so it might only need a minor adjustment to fix.
    Fore-aft adjustment makes no difference. Thinking about fabricating a stomp block - if I got the height right it'd at least eliminate the annoying constant sensation of play, though balancing the increased friction to precisely compensate for the pre-releasing would take some inspired guesswork. It'd certainly be cheaper than buying new Plums, and easier than fabricating boot heel inserts.