Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PeachesNCream View Post
    Ended up getting the Tissot buster recommended but with silver accents instead of gold (thank buster). Was $480 at the time I bought it. Pretty happy with it. Thanks for the recs everyone

https://www.jomashop.com/tissot-seas...071704100.html
    Oh god no, not that one!

J/K - nice purchase. For your sake I hope it doesn't open the pandoras box that is a watch hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    ^^
    That's a hilariously good look at the bullshit of the watch industry.
    "$3000" watch marked down to $300 lol
    You seen the drama of the barstool sports guy trying to sell watches to his fans for $2400 and getting called out for them being generic parts-bin quartz watches with a huge markup?

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/dave-...watch-company/

I'm here for the watch stoke from the maggotry.

I'm sporting this today. It's vastly underappreciated, loaded with value, and neat features.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25Bz6H7.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	469.5 KB 
ID:	437006

That’s a really cool Speedie, what’s the story on it?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    That’s a really cool Speedie, what’s the story on it?
    It's a Mark II re-issue. A faithful recreation of the MkII that Omega followed the original Moonwatch with, only for NASA to keep the original flight qualified. Omega sold it as the MkII and about six or seven years ago, they re-issued it with an automatic movement, a date window, and 100m water resistance.

It's one of my favorite watches with its graceful bracelet and micro-adjust clasp. And the tonneau case and orange highlights have it more interesting than your normal moonwatch or diver.

So Rolex has gotten into the CPO Rolex business. I guess you have to get money from the used high end watch market too. (Apologies if this has already been posted. Too lazy to read everything.)

https://www.rolex.com/buying-a-rolex...pre-owned.html
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Rolex pre-owned shop: https://www.rolex.com/en-us/buying-a...%20pre%20owned

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    So Rolex has gotten into the CPO Rolex business. I guess you have to get money from the used high end watch market too. (Apologies if this has already been posted. Too lazy to read everything.)

https://www.rolex.com/buying-a-rolex...pre-owned.html
    Indeed. Lots of speculation as to why. The general consensus seems to be settling on getting and keeping buyers in the Rolex eco-system. They buy a watch, either new or CPO, then, when their desired watch comes in, they can trade their watch for a new one and Rolex keeps them and the money in their ecosystem.

I suspect that they see the second-hand market robust and durable enough to carve out their space.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Indeed. Lots of speculation as to why. The general consensus seems to be settling on getting and keeping buyers in the Rolex eco-system. They buy a watch, either new or CPO, then, when their desired watch comes in, they can trade their watch for a new one and Rolex keeps them and the money in their ecosystem.

I suspect that they see the second-hand market robust and durable enough to carve out their space.
    Re-commerce is the new E-commerce.

Most importantly, they keep you in the brand, provide a service by selling it for you (or buying it back), and best of all, they make that margin in the resale instead of a 3rd party marketplace that might devalue their brand.

Nike, Lulu, Arc, Patagonia, Canadian Goose, On Running, Adidas....you name it, they all keep it in house now.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Why CPO?

Too many Nigerian Rolex watches on fleabay. Or NYC street corners.

I've come into possession of a Blancpain GMT that I really don't have any interest in holding on to and would like to turn it into cash (not interested in a trade) and frankly have no clue which way I should go to try and offload it for as much $ as possible. Would prefer a recognized online marketplace that has a good track record and low as possible fees/commissions as opposed to taking it to the local Swiss watch buyer - I have to figure larger reach, better competition, etc. has to be more favorable online these days.

Anyone have any experience selling a nice piece online? Any issues, advice, cautionary tales you may have would be appreciated.

I've come into possession of a Blancpain GMT
    “Whitebread GMT”?

rolex watches...really?

I don’t have personal experience but my brother has transacted in a few. Said he used to use forums but went with Chrono24 for his last transaction and would recommend it.

He also asked out of curiosity if it was a fifty fathoms?

r/watchexchange on Reddit is a decent option but not sure what the current steps are to authenticate yourself. If you haven’t been on, it’s not a “bidding” scenario either so you just set your price. But you can name your payment method and you will hit a ton of eyes.

This sounds like a job for Bobby Stainless…

fact.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    I don’t have personal experience but my brother has transacted in a few. Said he used to use forums but went with Chrono24 for his last transaction and would recommend it.

He also asked out of curiosity if it was a fifty fathoms?

Cool thanks I'll give em a look. Not a Fifty Fathoms, its a Blancpain Léman Day/Night GMT White/Bianco 2160-1127-53.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    r/watchexchange on Reddit is a decent option but not sure what the current steps are to authenticate yourself. If you haven’t been on, it’s not a “bidding” scenario either so you just set your price. But you can name your payment method and you will hit a ton of eyes.

I hadn't even considered that. Might be worth checking out and figuring out what all their steps are for authenticating buyers/sellers. Thanks Art.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    This sounds like a job for Bobby Stainless…

fact.
    Fact.

I hadn't even considered that. Might be worth checking out and figuring out what all their steps are for authenticating buyers/sellers. Thanks Art.

Fact.
    Watch out, you may end up buying a piece or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Watch out, you may end up buying a piece or two.

Precisely what I’m trying to avoid lol.

Bob's Watches also seems to have a huge presence online for buying/ selling.
    If nothing else you can price compare there to find your asking price

Precisely what I’m trying to avoid lol.
    How did this turn out?

I’ve been pretty smitten with picking up a Rolex lately. Anyone have any advice for dealing with the AD? I’m looking at pretty low end models, so not trying to smooze my way into flipping a Daytona or anything wild.

Wristwatch. Crisco.

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    How did this turn out?

I’ve been pretty smitten with picking up a Rolex lately. Anyone have any advice for dealing with the AD? I’m looking at pretty low end models, so not trying to smooze my way into flipping a Daytona or anything wild.
    The $600 Rolex fakes are getting so good today that it almost doesn't make sense to buy a real one.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    The $600 Rolex fakes are getting so good today that it almost doesn't make sense to buy a real one.
    Not just Rolex either. I guess some Vuiton and Hermes dupes are getting so good it's getting close to impossible to tell them apart from authentic.