Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    My Omega is out for service right now too. The Swiss and Germans are fucking me this year.
    Damn! That sucks man, really? What was the issue?

My Omega Speedmaster has been crazy reliable even after sitting for long stretches as I play favorites with my other pieces of man jewelry.

Someone mentioned Tudor earlier and I've been really tempted to pick up the orange and blue "Chrono Blue" when I stop into Tourneau. But then my wife grabs my wrist and shakes it and the gold/blue Submariner around and asks how many fucking blue watches do you need!?! in a very loud voice so that no salesperson dares approach.

She's right I guess. I love my blue Aquaracer too. Must be a fetish or something.
    I still call it The Jake.

rolex watches...really?

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Damn! That sucks man, really? What was the issue?
    It was gaining time on me. At first I thought it was from sitting on a shelf for awhile and waited for it to kind of relubricate itself but that never happened. Figured I'd do a nice overhaul anyway. C'est la vie. The Omega service center is here in Seattle so the turn around is better than most.

Thanks again for helping me narrow that one down, btw. Love the watch, just need to get it humming now.

I don't give a shit what kind of watch you wear as long as you take it off before digging into one of my molars you dentist bastard!

I've got an 11-year-old Breitling Colt that I got for a big birthday that's still on the first battery. For the past couple months it's been doing the low-battery thing where the second hand only moves every 5 seconds but it's still keeping good time so I guess I'll keep using it until it stops or won't keep time. 11 years on a battery is pretty amazing to me, I want to see how long it can go.

I've got another watch, a Raymond Weil automatic that I pretty much never wear, is it better to let it run down between uses or should I get one of those watch winder things?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I've got another watch, a Raymond Weil automatic that I pretty much never wear, is it better to let it run down between uses or should I get one of those watch winder things?
    Depends on how much you dislike setting it when you get around to wearing it. I read somewhere that if you let it run down, a mechanical watch won't wear out as fast, or something like that.

I was thinking that running down might be bad for the mechanism or something but I don't know shit. It does seem like it would last longer if it runs less, right? It only takes a minute to set it, it's not a big deal to me.

And one less weird gadget sitting around the house.

Agreed on that.

Ice, let stop versus kept wound is a pretty age old discussion that doesn't have a great answer in my experience. In other words, it doesn't matter much. You can't hurt it by letting it run down.

From my understanding the point of a winder-box is to keep it running which keeps normal tension on the mainspring and thereby keeping it more accurate. A watch that sits for a long time could potentially lose that and not run as accurately.

But I'm just a watch nut with an appreciation for how crazy complicated they are, not an engineer or even a holiday inn express customer so, hey.

@CL: Cool thanks.

Yeah BMills I heard something somewhere that it was better to keep it running but I'm not gonna worry about it I guess.

That said. I don't own a winder-box and all of my watches run down and sit for sometimes long periods of time. Maybe to my own detriment?

I mean it seems like it's working, right?

The pathfinder is solar powered and automagicaly updates it's time when ever the satellite goes overhead... idiot proof
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Oooooh, the new Daytona finally came out this week. It's pretty. And it looks like uber-collector John Mayer got his hands on one.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/be...he-new-daytona

Oooooh, the new Daytona finally came out this week. It's pretty. And it looks like uber-collector John Mayer got his hands on one.

Bwah. Rolex must have Changed the link to the rainbow bezel example above.

Here’s the real Daytona

Man, that’s a handsome watch.

It may be a mistake, but this post brings the funny. Thank you sir!

That’s the Rolex gaytona
    . . .

Here’s the real Daytona

Hilarious link swap. That's the new official TGR timepiece.

I snagged an older rolex fairly recently with the engine turned bezel that hasnt seen the light of day in awhile.

Raise your glass for the last of the kingpins
    The crown in the Maserati grill is mingling
    Rollies cross oceans like Frank out in England
    The Gay Pride bezel rainbow like it's spring again
    - Pusha-T

Re Rolex - During the '84 L.A. Olympics I was at the Memorial Coliseum for an event and was going through some racks of pins someone was selling under one of those flea market tents. Some guy next to me was rooting through the same rack I was and I couldn't help but notice a gold and diamond rolex on his wrist. Fucking amazing watch.. I try to keep it cool and give a bit of a side glance, and it was Jack Nicholson, just looking through pins.

I didn't find anything I liked and moved off to the next seller. So did Jack. No entourage, nobody recognizing him in the crowd.

Jack can pull off a watch like that. Not me. I just replaced my 20 year old TAG with a new one, hopefully will last me another 20 years.

I’ve had some nice ones. Ulysses Nardin, Rolex, Omega, Frank Muller when they were hot.

I’ll take an omega speedmaster panda and be done with it. Or a sea master.

I actually like my seikos. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1591143752.313664.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	330452

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Here’s the real Daytona

Apparently the stores are empty though.

Timely post, very tasteful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I just replaced my 20 year old TAG with a new one, hopefully will last me another 20 years.
    What did you get? I've been drooling over two Carrera's (along with a couple of Omegas) at JomaShop. Admitted watch geek
    Name:  TAGskeleton.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  13.1 KBName:  Silver&BlueTAG.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  11.0 KB

I like the Omega Seamster. It's a great watch. I prefer it to the Rolex. Except, the Seamster is more like the Submariner Same movement at a 35% discount. I think that the Daytona costs ~ $35K.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix