Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

rolex watches...really?

Fck.

was looking for a mid priced watch around 3-400 bucks and they had the rollies on display.

Are they really worth the loot? I'd have to part with a kidney. The sales guy was talking about reselling used ones and the "used" market etc etc, like it was a fckn car.

I mean, they're definitely nice but i wear my watch every day. Are these the twice a year bling watch or could you actually abuse them?

So what did you end up getting?

I've been kind of impressed with this line lately:
    http://www.christopherward-usa.com/

Nice price and looks.

^ Wards are still just about the best watch/price ratio you can get, although their prices have been slowly creeping up. Fantastic watches at not stupid prices.

Is any watch necessary anymore? Who doesn't carry a phone? Heck, the phone will even adjust for whatever time zone you are in automatically. Don't think any Rolex does that.

there's also no need to have a classic porsche when a smartcar can get me where I need to go

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Is any watch necessary anymore? Who doesn't carry a phone? Heck, the phone will even adjust for whatever time zone you are in automatically. Don't think any Rolex does that.
    Call me old school, plus I just like mechanical watches - the only piece of bling besides my wedding ring.

Oh, and I wear a Suunto Vector in the mountains - lotsa info right there on the end of my arm.

Just picked up a Eco-Drive Calibre 8700 for Bushboy for $63.00. I've been looking for one for myself since, and I cannot find a new one for under $200. Rite time rite place I guess.
    Sweet timepiece.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

a trollex? Vintage ones should be worth your while if you do your research. But yeah, why? They are like so 2012 like 30 round cartridges.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Victorinox

Sent from my DROID2
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I have a tag and a victorinox I will sell you for dirt cheap. Both real, both need batteries. If I replace the batteries they will sit in a drawer running out of juice while I never use them.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

search for seiko military on ebay. Good looking, simple watches.

i didn't get shit. He sold me on mechanical, which i think/thought i wanted to go anyway, so i opted to do MORE research.

there are so many options, but i guess if i'm going to drop the wad, why not drop it on a rolex, seems to be a timeless and understood reflection of knowing your shit.

I see many, many watches i like, based on the moment, marketing and subtle reading up. Those wards look pretty sick, but if i'm dropping the wad, all things considered, are they going to hold the "pimp, douche, bling, roller" factor that a rolex would, assuming they both perform the same? There are so many options. I can probably press up my spending limit, as always seems to be the case.

Right now i wear a casio explorer 10bar with all the gizmo's, alt, comp, bar, kitchen sink etc...only b/c i broke two suunto's (which i really wanted to love)...so casio was the logical next run. Some shit better some shit not nearly as boutique...but it works and the gauges are accurate enough.

but we're talking about heavy duty, blingy shit, (that has presumable utility)

so now i'm trying to justify a rolex to mrs b. not even sure why i want it, just b/c it seems really fckn cool now.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    why not drop it on a rolex, seems to be a timeless and understood reflection of knowing your shit.
    Most Rolex's to a watchdork = clueless rube with more money than brains.

Are they really worth the loot? I'd have to part with a kidney. The sales guy was talking about reselling used ones and the "used" market etc etc, like it was a fckn car.

I mean, they're definitely nice but i wear my watch every day. Are these the twice a year bling watch or could you actually abuse them?
    I had a Rolex Explorer II for a while. The Explorer II is only one of two or three Rolex watches that I actually consider attractive. Definitely a solid watch, can handle the abuse and maintained accurate time (for a mechanical). I had no complaints about the watch, itself, and I liked it a lot.

However, and this is especially true in douchebag-rich places like SoCal, the brand attracts douchebags. Whether they're sporting the real deal or knock-offs picked up on the streets of downtown TJ, Rolex seems to be the status symbol of choice for any self-respecting douchebag (with the BMW 325/328/etc. coming in a close second). Well...maybe Panerai, too. Now, there are plenty of solid guys wearing Rolex watches, but the preponderance of douchebags wearing them has simply douched things up from my perspective.

I quickly traded my Explorer II for another brand.

Now, I'm wearing a Bremont Solo (basically, an old-school pilot's watch). Nobody knows what the fuck it is, and I like it that way.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Ive discussed it in the other watch thread, but Rolexes are definitely worth it. Full disclosure I'm a watch whore and Rolexes are milestone gifts in my family (graduations weddings etc) so I have an emotional bias as well.

That said I have a gold/stainless Datejust and a gold/stainless Submariner and neither are tacky, blingy, or will be outdated ever.

If you're going for a classic piece, you could do a lot worse in my opinion. Good luck.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Most Rolex's to a watchdork = clueless rube with more money than brains.
    not disputing this, however i don't really fit the definition...in MY opinion. I consider all rolex blingy but what i really want is the type that has no numbers, just "eyes" "I" and pretty much nothing else...i don't want something that screams douche or otherwise, I just want something that is mad quality, as i always expect to have. However as i mentioned i always sorta agreed with the above quoted statement only b/c i had no better clue, was always broke and jumped on that mindset band wagon.

I'm old enough now to not give a fck what anyone thinks or really could give a shit less. I'm more at the point as where i've always rolled the most practical out door gear (which happened to be the best and most bling) I chose it b/c i i could justify the spend and knew i could cover the need in the most horrible situations.

NOW, i see all these beautiful watches and think wtfn. If i equal your watch dork, then i guess my ship finally came the fck in...

This is I'm talking about.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

"In Philly, it's worth...Fifty Bucks"...

Ever heard of Breitling?

Although I think the submariner is a really classy watch, I'd prolly go with a Breitling. More functional IMO and somewhat more affordable too, about half the price for a basic stainless model.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

not disputing this, however i don't really fit the definition...in MY opinion. I consider all rolex blingy but what i really want is the type that has no numbers, just "eyes" "I" and pretty much nothing else...i don't want something that screams douche or otherwise, I just want something that is mad quality, as i always expect to have. However as i mentioned i always sorta agreed with the above quoted statement only b/c i had no better clue, was always broke and jumped on that mindset band wagon.

I'm old enough now to not give a fck what anyone thinks or really could give a shit less. I'm more at the point as where i've always rolled the most practical out door gear (which happened to be the best and most bling) I chose it b/c i i could justify the spend and knew i could cover the need in the most horrible situations.

NOW, i see all these beautiful watches and think wtfn. If i equal your watch dork, then i guess my ship finally came the fck in...
    Personally, I've never liked Rolexes. Screamed "LOOK AT ME I HAVE TOO MUCH MONEY" to me. Tags are functional/stylish, breitlings are pretty cool and I was always a fan of my movado (a bit like this: http://www.movado.com/movado-collections/dura.html).

Rolex don't really seem "blingy" these days no? Most are kind of simple stainless steel bombproof watches... although they make some bling for the dbag crowd. Christ, all the new big dollar watches look fucking retarted these days.... GIANT SIZES with multiple dials and crowns, multi color faces etc...fucking gross.

I've always been partial to Omegas in the "cost more than my car" watch world. I wear a Citizen stainless for my every day watch. Less than 4 bills, and I get tons of compliments from people about it.

^^^^^ +1
    Did my time doing the research and Omega's were always mentioned as a great buy.
    Still too rich for my working-man blood, will stick with Invictas and Seiko autos...
    "this thread is an odd combo of win and fail." -Danno

I had a nice Tag and I like to keep my watch on all of the time and the Tag was just to heavy for my lifestyle. When I would mountain bike it would dig into my wrist. I ended up getting a Suunto which I wear all the time and like better. The only time I don't like wearing it is with formal wear. I need to find a nice leather dress watch for that.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

i'm aiming for something such as these, as a guide line. i don't think to douchy.

i was trying to attach a pic i found of the air king.
    Last edited by Blatant; 12-30-2012 at 10:05 AM.