Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Monarch Mags - HELP! Lost Ski.

I guess I've been naughty for Christmas because I lost one of my 191 Movement Goliaths .

Lost it at Monarch, in between High Anxiety and J.R.'s.

First it was soft, then it was rocky, three rocks later and I'm down a ski.

Bright flourescent yellow and green with a red S914
    One would think that would make it easy to see, not so much.

Looked for a long time probing with poles, didn't see an exit track, nor did I find it below, so I'm thinking it went submarine.
    Or it's below where I stopped and I just couldn't find it.

Anyway, I love my Goliath's.
    They have just reclaimed the 100-110 slot in the quiver and just prior to popping a ski I was thinking "These skis are great!".
    So chargy, yet friendly.

here there are (or, were):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020251.JPG 
Views:	398 
Size:	669.0 KB 
ID:	128738

if they don't show up before thursday's storm, it might be a wait until spring type scenario.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Rent a metal detector at your local time rental place and get your ski back.

Yes, I had to do this once.

Good luck

I get up there a decent bit in the later season so I will keep an eye out.

Get a shovel, spend a few hours. Don't worry about making it pretty, go ape shit on the snow. Walk around it plenty and think as much as you can before you start digging. In my experience, metal detectors aren't worth anything in this situation. Tried the metal detector for about an hour before stepping on the ski, in an area I had scanned many times over.

If you can ski through the same area multiple times eventually you'll find it.

I lost one on Aspen Mt. in the mine dumps preseason one year. Came back with a metal detector and proceeded to dig up about 400lbs of old mining equipment.

GSA=Gay Ski Accessories? pair of gaper orange ski tassle for X-Mas
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Yo Pfluff, can you describe the suspect location in more detail? We'll take a look today.

^^^ word!

I entered in between High Anxiety and J.R.'s where the trees are loosely spaced.
    as you roll over and it gets steeper the trees get tighter and rocks became more of an issue.

I would say that I made it ~ half way down the steeper pitch before the ski released.

The entire line was in the trees between HA and JR's, what one of your patrollers termed "the funnel" .

When one looks up from the Pano lift the treed area that I was in looks like a goatee (V shape) set between HA and JR.
    I made it ~50% down and exited the trees onto JR's (i think the ski released in the middle of the V area and went below me).

The patrol at the bottom hut mentioned that sometimes the RECCO detector can get a reflection on a ski, not sure how reliable this is or what the range might be.

Thanks for the eyes!

Got it. That area got hammered by snow last night. I'll make a few passes to see what comes up.

The good news is you gots some veddy nice pairs of skis left in your quiver from what I can see.

I heard a holiday gaper crashed in there too & then couldn't stand the rentals he was on. When he took them back to the rental shop they asked him what the matter was. He said he could only make little turns to the left and big turns to the right. So when he checked in his 140's the shop rat noticed one of them was a 191....... and a different color too.......?
    woop ))
    y a a w w ( (
    woop ))
    y a a w w ( (
    woop ))
    y a a w w ( (

hmmmm?
    "Impulsive? No! I'm RE-pulsive!"

Quote Originally Posted by angrysasquatch View Post
    Get a shovel, spend a few hours. Don't worry about making it pretty, go ape shit on the snow. Walk around it plenty and think as much as you can before you start digging.
    This. Give yourself a couple hours. You will get sweaty, but you will find it. Do a grid search. I bet it's a lot lower than you would expect.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by calisnow View Post
    The good news is you gots some veddy nice pairs of skis left in your quiver from what I can see.
    thanks, i've got the Lhasa's up for sale if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    This. Give yourself a couple hours. You will get sweaty, but you will find it. Do a grid search. I bet it's a lot lower than you would expect.

Good luck.
    ^^^ thanks.

in retrospect, rather than spending so much time checking around my line, i should have spent more time checking below.

Quote Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
    Got it. That area got hammered by snow last night. I'll make a few passes to see what comes up.
    that's what i was afraid of (or hoping for depending on how you look at it).

Thanks a bunch for looking!

Headed down there tomorrow. I'll keep an eye out.

I'm thinkin it's above where you stopped. Stuck right where you walked out.

Nothing today, but will keep making passes...

Quote Originally Posted by soups818 View Post
    Headed down there tomorrow. I'll keep an eye out.
    thanks soups.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankZappa View Post
    I'm thinkin it's above where you stopped. Stuck right where you walked out.
    totally possible,

i did backtrack up my line; back ~30', and up ~15' and poked around alot, but it may have anchored on the first rock i hit and the following rock hits i felt were on my remaining ski.
    it was kind of tight with the trees and nasty rocks, i may not have gone far enough back up.

on the other hand i went back to my car, grabbed my 120s and skied the same entry line twice.
    i didn't want to muck about too much in the rocks as the bases on the 120s are pretty nice and coverage was easy to punch through.

Nothing today, but will keep making passes...
    thanks a bunch, i'm off tuesday and thursday of next week and will come search if i don't get lucky.

well, if i do get lucky i'll be there too.

If you contact ski patrol they will often bring out the metal detectors! A buried ski can be a liability for the ski area.

And, there is nothing wrong with attaching 10 feet of surveyor tape to the back of each binding and then tucking the excess up you pant leg. Make situations like this much easier to deal with.
    Last edited by F.D.V.; 12-29-2012 at 09:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    It's the same argument for prostitution. There's a lot of people in this world who won't be getting laid unless they pay big bucks or fuck an artificial life form. No amount of consolation, pity or comiserating is going to change that reality.
    Slaughter is the best medicine.

If you don't turn it up make sure to flag the trees in the area. Everything looks different in the summer.

Not sure how a buried ski is a liability???

Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    If you don't turn it up make sure to flag the trees in the area. Everything looks different in the summer.

Not sure how a buried ski is a liability???
    Imagine charging in pow in spring and hitting that fucker end on, kicking it into your knee, end on?
    It's the same argument for prostitution. There's a lot of people in this world who won't be getting laid unless they pay big bucks or fuck an artificial life form. No amount of consolation, pity or comiserating is going to change that reality.

Quote Originally Posted by F.D.V. View Post
    And, there is nothing wrong with attaching 10 feet of surveyor tape to the back of each binding and then tucking the excess up you pant leg. Make situations like this much easier to deal with.
    There is.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    There is.
    Only for the most insecure folks...might have saved the OP a lost ski.

Plus, the neon colorz are in bro!

Found your ski Pfluff!

Fuck Yes!!!

PM motherfucking sent.

PS I love TGR!!

Found your ski Pfluff!
    FKNA!!!!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's