Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    yeah, would shipping to europe work? might actually be way too expensive to make the jig interesting, but looks really nice!

freak~[&]

I'll look into overseas shipping and let you know. Never done it before, but I guess it could work.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

If you, jondrums and Alpinord could get together and specify the combination of plates, bit and tap to buy for installing inserts that would be idiot & beer-swiller proof (or at least idiot & beer-swiller resistant), I'd be down for a jig with Dynafit and Salomon plates.

Im in for a jig with salomon, look pivot, and sollyfit plates.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Nice work getting this going. Looks good! Kudos!

It would appear there's a few of us that've been tinkering with this idea.
    My jigs incorporate several bushing styles for performing multiple operations on these hole patterns - drilling, chamfers, tapping & a lot more. Agreed the bushing systems get expensive, but work really well.

Quote Originally Posted by mday View Post
    If you, jondrums and Alpinord could get together and specify the combination of plates, bit and tap to buy for installing inserts that would be idiot & beer-swiller proof (or at least idiot & beer-swiller resistant), I'd be down for a jig with Dynafit and Salomon plates.
    Mr Zappa knows far more than I do and has a sweet jig system as well.....but the short answer for basic sizes:

Each hole is 1/64" increment with L to R: stainless steel insert tap. 5/16" x 1/4" tip stainless steel and heli coil insert bit (same for alpine and nordic bits and davieboot's bushing diameter), then 1/4" straight bit and 12AB tap. A heli-coil tap fits in a 5/16" hole/bushing. The other shown taps have a skootch of play in the 21/64" and 7/32" holes, respectively. For the purist who equate installing inserts to brain surgery precision, a tighter STI-UNC tap hole/bushing would be better for inserts. Alpine taps don't have to be as precise.

Regarding international shipping costs, what size box and weight are you talking? For a quick calculation, here is the USPS shipping cost calculator link. FedEx and UPS can be a PITA and more costly, but might be worth looking into for comparisons.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 12-27-2012 at 04:51 PM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Regarding international shipping costs, what size box and weight are you talking? For a quick calculation, here is the USPS shipping cost calculator link. FedEx and UPS can be a PITA and more costly, but might be worth looking into for comparisons.
    Maybe I'm missing something when it comes to international shipping, but for my size/weight, it is all coming out to $55-70. I've checked USPS, UPS, and FedEx. For domestic shipping, we are looking at the $10 range. If folks are willing to pay the international shipping rate, I have no problem shipping.

What's your weight and size criteria?

Edit: there's also outfits like Bongo Int'l that "broker" the shipping.

.....and as a skier and designer who has been inherently contrary to many an engineer, what about adding a hinge or break and a sleeve to make it more compact for shipping and storage.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 12-27-2012 at 07:37 PM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

To cover a few sets of plates, and padding in the box, I'm looking at 8 pounds and 32 inches long. I like the idea of hinging it, but the self centering mechanism uses a belt that can't be folded in half.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

Well, I was half kidding about hinging, telescoping or somehow disengaging, but IF competitive international shipping was a real criteria, I'm thinking your best rate would be USPS Medium Flat rate around $50 to Europe. A double hinge or breaking the frame into 1/3's would be required to fit the box sizes: 13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" or 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" Maximum weight 20 pounds. Two could be split by a 'mini-group' buy.

Out of curiosity, what about a cable or chain versus a belt?
    Last edited by Alpinord; 12-27-2012 at 09:38 PM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

This is gonna save a ton of room in my shop.Taking offers on solly,sollydemo,fritshi,tyrolia89,90,91,92,duke,ma rker,fks,and a
    shitton more jigs.
    I better figure out how to use ebay.....
    You dont stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

About shipping to Europe in bulk; Id love to be the recipient and forwarder of goods, but sending anything out of Norway is heinously expensive, as theres no real competition here.

If anyone in central europe or even sweden would be willing to receive and forward these things, that would be awesome. Otherwise, I dont have any real qualms about paying the usps fee.

My order would now definitely be as follows
    Jig frame, solly driver and dynafit radical plates.

norsk

Out of curiosity, what about a cable or chain versus a belt?
    I experimented/prototyped with chains, cables, belts (and several other different approaches). The belt worked the best for a variety of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    About shipping to Europe in bulk; Id love to be the recipient and forwarder of goods, but sending anything out of Norway is heinously expensive, as theres no real competition here.

If anyone in central europe or even sweden would be willing to receive and forward these things, that would be awesome. Otherwise, I dont have any real qualms about paying the usps fee.

My order would now definitely be as follows
    Jig frame, solly driver and dynafit radical plates.

norsk
    If anyone wants to take on the unofficial Europe distribution role, we can figure that out. But someone is going to have to volunteer. Any takers?

Anyone with an "factory" jig and a good set if calipers willing to post up some measurements for the drill bushing interior dimension? I've measured a few jigs and they use 8.1mm (.319") drill bushings. It would be great to get some closure on this in a more widespread way.

This info would be invaluable to me, and I'm sure it would help OP as well.

For the purist who equate installing inserts to brain surgery precision, a tighter STI-UNC tap hole/bushing would be better for inserts.
    Insert taps fit perfectly into an 8.1mm drill bushing, but don't fit into an 8mm or a 5/16 bushing. Alpine drills fit with a tiny bit of clearance into all three sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    Anyone with an "factory" jig and a good set if calipers willing to post up some measurements for the drill bushing interior dimension? I've measured a few jigs and they use 8.1mm (.319") drill bushings. It would be great to get some closure on this in a more widespread way.

This info would be invaluable to me, and I'm sure it would help OP as well.
    Interesting......

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    Insert taps fit perfectly into an 8.1mm drill bushing, but don't fit into an 8mm or a 5/16 bushing. Alpine drills fit with a tiny bit of clearance into all three sizes.
    ........I was going to say the same thing for SVST & KWIK (US bits) after measuring the insert tap and a 1/4" STI-UNC tap guide (.319"/8.1mm) and the 5/16" ANSI (.321"/8.1+mm) tap guide. Except, KUU's bits (Canada) do not fit the 5/16"/8mm guide, but perfect in both STI-UNC & AINSI tap guide holes.

The .319/8.1mm works well for stainless steel insert tap and KUU drill bits and the US drill bits have a little play. Is this to say shop jigs using US bits have a little 'play' or 'clearance' and generally considered within acceptable tolerances?
    Last edited by Alpinord; 12-28-2012 at 12:26 PM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

I'll take one with Dynafit (radical) and Look/Rossi plates if shipping to Canada isn't too much. Usually its not too much more than shipping to the US.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TGR Forums

........I was going to say the same thing for SVST & KWIK (US bits) after measuring the insert tap and a 1/4" STI-UNC tap guide (.319"/8.1mm) and the 5/16" ANSI (.321"/8.1+mm) tap guide. Except, KUU's bits (Canada) do not fit the 5/16"/8mm guide, but perfect in both STI-UNC & AINSI tap guide holes.

The .319/8.1mm works well for stainless steel insert tap and KUU drill bits and the US drill bits have a little play. Is this to say shop jigs using US bits have a little 'play' or 'clearance' and generally considered within acceptable tolerances?
    Would it therefore be preferred to have 8.1mm bushings, which means there is a little play in the mounting bit, but that it can accomodate the taps.

For reference, I've measured all of my old shop jigs, and the bushings are 8.1mm. I've also measured all of my old drill bits, and they are all 5/16" (7.93mm ish), give or take a few mils. Those bits are nice and snug in 5/16" and 8mm bushings, and have a little play in the shop jigs. However, it isn't too noticeable until I was paying close attention to it. In the extreme case, if you were trying to get the bit as far off as possible but still in the 8.1mm bushing, you can be off by 0.01" or so. Pretty minor.

Quote Originally Posted by davieboot View Post
    Would it therefore be preferred to have 8.1mm bushings, which means there is a little play in the mounting bit, but that it can accommodate the taps.

For reference, I've measured all of my old shop jigs, and the bushings are 8.1mm. I've also measured all of my old drill bits, and they are all 5/16" (7.93mm ish), give or take a few mils. Those bits are nice and snug in 5/16" and 8mm bushings, and have a little play in the shop jigs. However, it isn't too noticeable until I was paying close attention to it. In the extreme case, if you were trying to get the bit as far off as possible but still in the 8.1mm bushing, you can be off by 0.01" or so. Pretty minor.
    I'd vote for the 8.1mm bushings since it appears to be common practice and the norm, plus allowing ss insert tapping. Alpine mounts are more forgiving than insert mounts. Anyone installing inserts needs to realize that extra care is required and there are a zillion checks and balances that could be employed using your jig system and before firing up the drill.

How deep are the bushings? As I'm sure you are aware the shallower the bushing and farther the contact point of the bit at the bottom of the bushing is from the ski, the more error for the given clearance.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

I am interested in a jig with the following plates:
    Look Pivot / Rossi FKS
    Salomon S912 / STH
    Last edited by BigLineSeeker; 01-08-2013 at 12:30 PM.

I've received some PMs about mounting Dynafits, so I'll post up a video this weekend showing how it is done, and that the required accuracy is there.

Definitely in + old/new Dynafit plates (will confirm others soon, just wanted to get my EOI in) - I may get the full set of plates, just need to think a bit more.

Shipping to Australia

Count me in for one w Solly plates and possibly Duke/Jester or FKS/Pivot/PX.

Great idea.

Marking my spot in this thread for later reference!

Great idea!

Is the Marker Duke jig for the EPF or the standard Duke?
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    It's the same argument for prostitution. There's a lot of people in this world who won't be getting laid unless they pay big bucks or fuck an artificial life form. No amount of consolation, pity or comiserating is going to change that reality.
    Slaughter is the best medicine.