Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    re: coding the holes for different bindign models:
    I dunno, we're not doing high production, if we're capable of mounting our own skis I think we're capable of figuring out which holes to drill through?
    Do what you like, Like what you do.

Think you'll run into insurance/liability issues? looks pretty nifty

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TGR Forums

Very cool, will likely be in for a jig and Salomon plates although it's going to be a while before I can commit the $$...

"""The key is swappable mounting plates that lock into an overall jig structure. With a bunch of gears, belts, bolts, and lots of metal, the jig will self-center on skis and around your boot. After a couple quick adjustments, you’re ready to mount. For different bindings, just swap out the plates"""

Good job! a very good idea for the sometime user who is not into production and as Greg points out if the user can't figure out which holes to use they should just take up snow boarding

personaly I will just keep freehanding with a t-square

Pretty cool... since I am a little over half way through my quiver on a wholesale binding insert binge I can see the appeal. Multiple bindings plates would rock and I don't really see the need to go to the bigger bit for inserts as putting in standard pilot holes is the most work.

Cannot afford... but interested in how things pan out.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Quote Originally Posted by ace.. View Post
    Think you'll run into insurance/liability issues? looks pretty nifty
    These are simply decorative bookends

I am in for a jog with solly driver, duke/baron, sollyfit plates and dynafit (radical plus vertical). So that would be one jig and 4.5 plates.
    Last edited by Wunderkind; 01-02-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Also interested in hammerhead pattern. Edit: skipping this one for now.
    Last edited by Wunderkind; 01-01-2013 at 11:09 PM.

This is a fantastic idea. Well done!

One suggestion: Solomon plate should include front center hole for Z-series bindings. Only one extra bushing makes it compatible with many more bindings.

Very elegant design. I hope there's enough interest to sustain this project!

Looks great and I'm definitely interested in the jig with Salomon 916 plates and possibly guardian, but just don't have the cash right now.

Looks really nice and better than my old silly jig I had to take the clamps off to fit on fatties.

This thing looks idiot proof. With it I could drink lots of beer/wine and still not mess up Paper templates take more time to get perfect than this would. I am interested in one with solly and dynafit but won't be adding to the quiver until next year. Also a set of plates for the sollyfit pattern would be cool. This would make doing inserts easier and faster since you would have the pilot hole in the right spot.
    Drink to remember not to forget!
    Fourisight Wines

I'd be in for a jig with Dynafit and Duke plates.

Quote Originally Posted by xtrmjoe View Post
    This thing looks idiot proof.
    ORLY? Have you ever met a dumbass who put a jig on backwards? Switch to the road!

But seriously, this thing looks pretty sweet.

I'd be in for a jig for dynafit and solly plates.

Awesome idea and execution (as far as I can tell).

Quote Originally Posted by davieboot View Post
    There is no reason it couldn't do inserts ... Looks like the insert bit is 6.5mm. But we could easily have plates with bushings for the 6.5mm bit.
    No, don't do that! I have a drill bit being custom made now which will fit into standard ski jig bushings. So, people will be able to drill directly for inserts with a jig.

I'm curious which drill bushings you have chosen? I've seen that most jigs are 8.1mm bushings, which ends up being about .004" oversized versus 3/8". If you use a 3/8" bushing, people won't be able to use the jig as a tap guide, but if you use 8.1mm it works for drilling and tapping.

Interested as well, maybe not for the first batch but in the near future. This is a great idea. New plates for the price of a shop mount? yes please
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    I have a drill bit being custom made now which will fit into standard ski jig bushings. So, people will be able to drill directly for inserts with a jig.
    Cool!! When might that be available?

nicely done.

I am super impressed. I'm too broke to buy one or even need one but I want one.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

That's beautiful!
    Seems like it could be lucrative if you could get it into ski shops, although it could also be litigious. Like you'd have to know someone at DIN or ISO.

Maybe you could make different companies different colors?
    If I had an extra few hundred and a drill, I'd be all over that.

Best of luck.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I'd be in for a jig, solly, and dynafit plate.

Quote Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
    I'm in. Will decide on final patterns shortly. Probably STH (driver), Jester, Tracker/Guardian, Pivots 18 and 14 (bunch of skiers with different tastes in the house).

That said, For reasons you might infer, I'm a fan of idiot proof. So I'm gonna buck the trend and say that I'd rather not have to deal with too many color codes, legends, grommet clusters, etc. per plate. Shops have to do that because that's just the way it works in that world. I'd rather get a couple more plates than have to think too hard... Utterly brain dead simple wins in my book.
    Good feedback. We'll see how it all settles out in terms of interest, but I see where you are coming from, and there could be the possibility of both a combo plate and a single plate. I'll have to look closely at the measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    This is a fantastic idea. Well done!

One suggestion: Solomon plate should include front center hole for Z-series bindings. Only one extra bushing makes it compatible with many more bindings.

Very elegant design. I hope there's enough interest to sustain this project!
    Agreed about the extra hole on the Salomon plates...an easy fix for the next build.

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    No, don't do that! I have a drill bit being custom made now which will fit into standard ski jig bushings. So, people will be able to drill directly for inserts with a jig.

I'm curious which drill bushings you have chosen? I've seen that most jigs are 8.1mm bushings, which ends up being about .004" oversized versus 3/8". If you use a 3/8" bushing, people won't be able to use the jig as a tap guide, but if you use 8.1mm it works for drilling and tapping.
    Jondrums, this is great too know, and good idea. Let's chat offline about bushing sizes. FWIW, measuring the Wintersteiger bits I have in hand with calipers are tad under 8mm. I'll PM you.

I'll buy one of these when I can afford it. Awesome idea.