Tourmaline Surf Park

I'm headed to San Diego for Christmas and will be checking out Tourmaline. I had a surf lesson there years ago and vaguely remember an older, good-hearted, longboarding crowd. Really supportive bunch giving me shout outs whenever I got a ride.

So I'm thinking of making that my spot for next summer. I'll be living just a few minutes from Sunset Cliffs, but am really intimidated by the entry/exit. I want to go over there and watch and learn, and hopefully call it my own someday. But feel like it would be worth it to drive over to Tourmaline when I actually want to get in the water next summer. I want to be on a smaller, rolling, longboard break. Wish I could find a nice left because I'm goofy, but hopefully can have fun on rights anyway?

I'd like to hear thoughts, experiences, any info/feedback you guys have on the area...remember I'm just an "advanced beginner" aka megakook in my surf life, although I survived a really crowded break last summer and learned some aloha as well as timed aggression.

I hope to be on a 9 foot board, as close to this one as I can find: http://www.nspsurfboards.com/longboard-92.html

tia
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

In south county tourmaline sounds like the best choice. Certain spots at sunset cliffs can get tricky to exit when there are waves, south swells in summer are not ideal for SS cliffs. In summer, it will most often be pretty flat at the main spots along SSC Blvd unless it's a big new zealander or something with lots of west/NW. The true south spots on SSC are usually accessed by boat at the end of the point. It is pretty easy to access the spots down in front of the college area. OB pier has a fun left that rolls through the pier, some beginners mixed in with some guys that can surf but it's OB hippie vibe in the water. Pipes in Encinitas is an option for north county, less of a point than PB point but still some soft reefs and mellow vibe. Always seems like there are more female surfers in the pipes area than most of the other spots in SD.

Thanks for info. I def need to look at the SSC access near the college - I've only been down those steps at the north end. Sure I'll break something getting out of the water, either me or board. I live directly over the hill on the bay side so it would be ideal to go there. Like five minutes away. And it feels kinda quiet and wild there compared to everything else from OB to La Jolla so I really like it. The waves looked small last summer but well formed and long lasting, which is great. And actually kinda complex with several different breaks to look at and peaks forming lefts and rights, are they called A frames? Fascinating and beautiful.

But you think Tourmo will be more fun in the summer? Cause it sticks out and faces south? Maybe I'll get a little routine and drive by SSC and look and then head north if I need to. Jeez California gas prices!!!

And it sounds like I went surfing on the wrong side of the pier (north side near lifeguard shack). The wind was up and it was a hot mess so I'll look at that again too. Felt like too much work for too little ride. I like the ob hippies alright, but the water seems dirty. Pipes sounds very cool, hopefully can get up there sometime but it's far.

I just watched two surf movies on netflix, The Outside and BlueGreen. Cool footage in BG but honestly as a skier I don't need "soul" explained to me. Or living for the ocean rather than the almighty dollar in the same breath as the chicks are crying for more money and recognition. I've thought about all this stuff ad nauseum in my own life. I just want to ski (and surf) without all the analysis. Better to just turn off the sound.

What I'd like to see is more of wave hydraulics, riding technique, board shaping, locations, stuff like that. Stuff I can learn from. Might have to go a round of youtube searches at some point.
    Last edited by SheRa; 12-23-2012 at 07:54 AM.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

I think Tourmaline is a good spot to check not because it necessarily faces south but because it has the vibe that you described. Definitely a gentle wave even when the waves are good size. SSC kind of has that gentle factor as well. LJ reefs are exact opposite, lot more punch and some barreling waves. SSC can get extremely mobbed during big NW's but that would be extremely rare from Jun-Aug. All of those spots are less ideal in summer than North SD, such as Encinitas/Cbad/O'side (Even La Jolla does well in summer). That's where the action usually is during summer months, plus far south county down in IB. As far as SSC, other than the college area, S. and N. Garbage would be easy to access the break on a low tide (stairs down the cliff but somewhat slipper rocks but nothing you have to climb like some of the other spots to the North)

Places like the OB pier aren't necessarily great breaks but it will be easy to access from where you'll be living.

Turmo and OB pier are where I learned to surf. The Pier can have a grumpier crowd than Turmo, but your a lady, so hopefully they cut you some slack. What you will find to be true is Turmo gets reeeeaaally crowded. Also it needs a fairly decent swell in the water, as it is smaller than many breaks in the area. In the past, I would surf the PB Point when it was just to big at the Cliffs for me. Now I just drive to North County and surf the Del Mar to Swami's area, as I can normally find a bit more swell, better shape with less people around. I rarely surf weekends.
    But to your question, sure, give it a try. I've caught some of the longest waves of my life at PB Point, so the potential is there and you don't have to be really good to take advantage of it, as it is generally a slow moving wave that rolls off the top, rather than throwing out at Turmo. If your in the Cliffs area, I think you'll gravitate to the OB pier on smaller days and the cliffs once it get shoulder+ as there are some really good breaks there. You can walk over to Point Loma College and surf Abs, which is awesome on a south swell and not real crowded. If your lazy like me, just go down the stairs at the end of Sunset Cliffs Blvd and paddle out to South Garbage which is a great summer break. Just be careful at the bottom of the stairs as the algae is really slippery. Watch a few people go in and out and you will see the trick of it. It is pretty simple as long as you take little steps and don't slip.
    There are so many great spots to surf in SD from the Cliffs north, you will have fun for years checking out all the new spots. Glad to hear you'll be in town. It would be nice to have you join us (Mrs liv2ski and I) if your ever up for lunch and a beer in Coronado. I would be happy to show you around if your up for a session too.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Wow, thanks for the welcome. Beers/food would be great sometime and if any other SD maggots are around I'd like to meet them too. Be great to talk skiing and surfing.

Good info from both of you. Thanks. I really want to be able to paddle straight out from those steps at SSC someday. I've walked around down there, know how slippery it is. My biggest fear is coming back in after I'm dog tired and getting bashed against the rocks. I'll keep watching and learn the trick of it eventually. I also don't know anything about how the rips and tides and kelp and whatever else can influence my day will work. Lot to learn and I'm sure I need to find some mentors too. Need a westuit. I went to Turmo and looked at it, seems fine, but the drive is wastefully far when I live so close to the ocean further south. I'm more than willing to do dawn patrols, look forward to that.

I'll def be up for a session as soon as I get settled, get my arms strong again and get the board I want. I'll prolly be riding softtops again for a month at least. Then I want this or something like it: http://www.nspsurfboards.com/longboard-92.html What do you think? Isn't it sweet! It was the nicest board I got on last summer, it could glide and turn. Jeez I want!
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa View Post
    My biggest fear is coming back in after I'm dog tired and getting bashed against the rocks.
    Then I want this or something like it: http://www.nspsurfboards.com/longboard-92.html What do you think? Isn't it sweet! It was the nicest board I got on last summer, it could glide and turn. Jeez I want!
    Don't worry about getting smashed, unless the surf is huge and it is a super high tide. Nice board. If you tried it and liked it, there you go. Happy Holidays
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Nothing wrong with Tourmaline but no sense driving if you don't have to. Getting in and out is really mellow at Garbage(the bottom of the stairs) as long as the tide is less than about 2' (unless the waves are huge), and it's usually swamped when the tide is higher than that anyway. You can get down off the ledge at the bottom of the stairs by hugging the cliff and using the worn in step but its a little easier to kind of walk under the stairs when you get to the bottom, just watch how a couple of people do it. Absolute worst case scenario-if the tide comes way up while youre out there, you can come in to the sand beach(careful of shore pound) and take the rope up and drag your board up by the leash. The wave and crowd are totally chill at the North break and there is a huge channel between North and South. Booties help. Keep in mind that if your leash breaks or something, its a pretty long swim in.

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm really exited for next summer.
    Henry David Thoreau

I second everything that liv2ski has to say. If you are living in OB, Tourm makes for a quick session. If you have more time, venture north. In particular, the Cardiff breaks pick of lots of different swell, aren't too mean, and are rarely too crowded (Swami's excepted). Once you start paying attention to the swell direction, tides, and wind, and explore liberally, by the end of the summer you'll have go-to spots for almost any conditions.

I'll most likely be in SD much of next summer, so let me know if you want to surf.

Quote Originally Posted by davieboot View Post
    I second everything that liv2ski has to say. If you are living in OB, Tourm makes for a quick session. If you have more time, venture north. In particular, the Cardiff breaks pick of lots of different swell, aren't too mean, and are rarely too crowded (Swami's excepted). Once you start paying attention to the swell direction, tides, and wind, and explore liberally, by the end of the summer you'll have go-to spots for almost any conditions.

I'll most likely be in SD much of next summer, so let me know if you want to surf.
    Thanks for comments. I am excited to explore. I'm planning to do summers in SD long term so it'll be a fun journey.

I don't live in OB, rather Point Loma, basically at Shelter Island. So you can see how Sunset Cliffs would be the perfect close spot to call my own. Maybe some of you guys would be willing to paddle out there with me sometime.
    Henry David Thoreau

If you're down near shelter island then you should try to cozy up to someone with a boat and take a ride out to the end of Pt. Loma to surf. I'm sure we can dial you into various spots once you get to SD.

Quote Originally Posted by Piggity View Post
    If you're down near shelter island then you should try to cozy up to someone with a boat and take a ride out to the end of Pt. Loma to surf. I'm sure we can dial you into various spots once you get to SD.
    I'll work on that. :P

One thing I'll need advice on is wetsuits. At some point I need to do some research.

You know what would be really cool - some kind of map/chart showing how the water flows along the coast - rips, currents...
    Henry David Thoreau

Just reread this thread, more great advice. Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    There are so many great spots to surf in SD from the Cliffs north, you will have fun for years checking out all the new spots. Glad to hear you'll be in town. It would be nice to have you join us (Mrs liv2ski and I) if your ever up for lunch and a beer in Coronado. I would be happy to show you around if your up for a session too.
    You live on Coronado? Very nice. I'm always up for food. I need some more time getting my arms back before I could take full advantage of a surf session...

Quote Originally Posted by davieboot View Post

Yeah I want to surf, - give me a month or so to get my arms back, sometime in August.
    Henry David Thoreau