I've benefited from others' reviews on this site and hoped to add my own. Bought a pair of 178s from schindlerpiste and took them out for the first time last weekend.

Me: 6'2", 180lbs; would not self-describe myself as an expert given the cohort on this forum, but I'll ski all the marked terrain at Alta minus the cliffs, enjoy steep, technical stuff over high speed charging.

Other skis I like: I have a pair of Gold Goats (2008) that I use out West.

Conditions: A classic EC day, groomed with patches of ice, sudden transitions to areas with a couple inches of grabbier, man-made snow.

Impression: The reviews from the gear guides (for example, http://www.skinet.com/ski/gear/dps-c...siar-80sl-2013) are actually quite accurate. These skis just need to be laid on edge and they can trench short radius turns with unbelievable ease, have great hold on ice, but are in no way demanding (the skis make you better rather than you having to be good enough to handle the skis). What I really liked, however, is that while they have a smaller radius (15M) with unbelievable hold, they were in no way wedded to that turn radius. If I wanted medium or long-radius turns, it was just as easy to do without them feeling skittish, and while others in this forum may disagree, I couldn't find a reasonable speed limit. I also really liked the flex - very smooth and nice pop in turn transitions. Some of the magazine reviews commented on deflection given the skis light weight, but in the transitions from ice to man-made snow I didn't feel this. One of the unexpected benefits from the light weight is that they are extremely easy to skate in flats or uphill (feel like ice skates compared to my older pair of K2s).

In summary, I think this is a phenomenal ski, especially out East (or out West for those with an extensive quiver), and especially for those skiers that enjoy shorter turn radii in their ski while wanting the flexibility of being able to make multiple turn shapes. I also feel like they have this unique combination of race-like hold while still being accessible to all levels of ability, ranging from intermediates to experts. I admit that I was a little hesitant at first because of the price (even my used pair), but I had the time of my life despite the lack of powder. In my opinion, they were worth every penny and DPS customer service was hard to beat - I am definitely a convert to carbon (it's hard to go back). For anyone lucky enough to strap on a pair, enjoy!