Page 23 of 57 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 575 of 1422

Thread: Shiffrin

  1. #551
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by snojones View Post
    After they spend another couple of years denouncing how she skis, they will begin to teach what she does.
    Hopefully at some point, this does happen. Past history suggests otherwise. The industry as a whole would benefit a lot if they did what you are saying and more people stuck with the sport.

  2. #552
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    People's Republic of Boulder
    Posts
    769
    Just trying to get this back on track, enough nonsense. From today.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2235830-46615390-2560-1440.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	169.6 KB 
ID:	219952

  3. #553
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    838
    Whomever crosses the finish line, without error, first, wins

  4. #554
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,101
    If only she were as athletic as me, maybe she would win more than almost always.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

  5. #555
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Verdi NV
    Posts
    7,908
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    If only she were as athletic as me, maybe she would win more than almost always.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    there it is
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

  6. #556
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    there it is
    It is surprising to people not familiar with it that ski racing doesn't require elite raw athleticism for success, even at the highest levels.

    But, Shiffrin and Vonn are great examples that it doesn't.

    Again, it is a compliment to them, at least for those who admire hard work and dedication.

  7. #557
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    636
    Easy Carl.

  8. #558
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
    Posts
    9,598
    Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Shiffrin is a joy to watch ski. And shows a lot of humility, poise & class in a very public life.
    Quoted for truth.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

    "Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

  9. #559
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    2 hours from anything
    Posts
    7,978
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostofSeasonsPast View Post
    I realize part of this is just looking to throw virtual food at what was clearly, as regards her, a compliment.

    Numbers don't lie. In her case, phenom for alpine ski racing, but not a great natural athlete. Not even naturally great at stability work. Great ski racer before she could crank a single unassisted pullup. Very good aerobic capacity, otherwise not exceptional for most raw numbers. The compliment is that she got to where she is through hard work and, also, through the good fortune of having parents who created a great environment for learning to ski.

    One of many elite ski racers who weren't necessarily great natural athletes. Again, not a knock.
    What numbers are you referring to? I hope your source isn't the video.

    The bottom of that course was eating racers up. She made it look easy. Her mental game is the best I've ever seen. She knows exactly how much she needs to do, where she can play it safe and where to push.

  10. #560
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    2,573
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostofSeasonsPast View Post
    It is surprising to people not familiar with it that ski racing doesn't require elite raw athleticism for success, even at the highest levels.

    But, Shiffrin and Vonn are great examples that it doesn't.

    Again, it is a compliment to them, at least for those who admire hard work and dedication.
    You really believe this?

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

  11. #561
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    You really believe this?

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app
    That neither are great natural athletes is widely known, within ski racing, and noted by both themselves.

    That it is surprising to people not familiar with ski racing, is also obvious.

    Again, Shiffrin is probably a better all-rounder than Vonn, who is more clumsy off-snow.

    And, again let me emphasize that this is a compliment to them both, to their hard work and dedication and that of those around them. Not a knock at all.

  12. #562
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Golden
    Posts
    3,373
    Quote Originally Posted by GimpToo View Post
    Whomever crosses the finish line, without error, first, wins
    Change the 'without error' to 'fewest errors' and you're correct.

  13. #563
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostofSeasonsPast View Post
    That neither are great natural athletes is widely known, within ski racing, and noted by both themselves.

    That it is surprising to people not familiar with ski racing, is also obvious.

    Again, Shiffrin is probably a better all-rounder than Vonn, who is more clumsy off-snow.

    And, again let me emphasize that this is a compliment to them both, to their hard work and dedication and that of those around them. Not a knock at all.
    I don't really get your point. If you're trying to say that Shiffrin and Vonn wouldn't be world class triathletes if you dropped them into a race then sure, I'm with you. But also ... duh. At their level everyone is specialized.

  14. #564
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    base of the Bush
    Posts
    10,977
    www.apriliaforum.com

    "If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

    "I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

  15. #565
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    champlain valley
    Posts
    4,755
    for bushwacker:

    podiums don't lie

  16. #566
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    3,038
    I disagree. If you dropped either one into a competitive arena (triathlon for instance) they would have great success. The amount of focus and work is unbelievable....but so is baseline athleticism. Haven’t you ever trained/competed w someone who has a huge work ethic but no talent? At some point they just can’t hang.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

  17. #567
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Verdi NV
    Posts
    7,908
    Shiffren would not be were she is now if Vonn had not set the standard - Lead the way to what is possible
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

  18. #568
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    4,348
    Yup. Remember the “superstars” with all the random events. Skiers cleaned up in those contests.

    This thread drift is ridiculous. Shiffrin is an elite athlete period. Questioning that is almost as foolish as trumptards global warming tweet.

  19. #569
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Verdi NV
    Posts
    7,908
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Yup. Remember the “superstars” with all the random events. Skiers cleaned up in those contests.

    This thread drift is ridiculous. Shiffrin is an elite athlete period. Questioning that is almost as foolish as trumptards global warming tweet.
    And She is kinda Hot

    The point of the thread
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

  20. #570
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    670
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Someone who is a boot doctor needs to get a hold of her. I'm sure tweeting or facebook are viable options. The Olympics are coming up, and if she's not dialed in by then, she's not winning any medals!
    Ok ok, soooo Benny was looking for "the best Boot Doctor in Breck" so he can help his friend Mikaela improve her pow slaying ability. Surely 'Merica's most popular ski area can provide the fix for 'Mericas Gold Medal Girl?

    Huge props to Benny for getting to the bottom of all this for the Champ!
    GhostofSeasonsPast - are you tracking with all this? Do you give your wax seal of approval about these "next steps?"

  21. #571
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cb, co
    Posts
    3,648
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Yup. Remember the “superstars” with all the random events. Skiers cleaned up in those contests.

    This thread drift is ridiculous. Shiffrin is an elite athlete period. Questioning that is almost as foolish as trumptards global warming tweet.
    Yeah, I was just going to post this: https://www.skimag.com/uncategorized...ars-in-jamaica The skiers always crushed the other athletes.

  22. #572
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    I don't really get your point. If you're trying to say that Shiffrin and Vonn wouldn't be world class triathletes if you dropped them into a race then sure, I'm with you. But also ... duh. At their level everyone is specialized.
    More specifically, if you asked the coaches at, say, Burke who their best performers have been in terms of weight room performance, agility, explosiveness, etc., Shiffrin won't have been their best natural athlete. They have had others who were better on all of those measures. Just as you can see from the vid downthread that a simple frontflip on a trampoline didn't come naturally to her. Just as a simple pullup didn't come naturally to her. Not a single unassisted pullup without a lot of focused effort. But, Shiffrin was and is a huge standout in terms of focus, work ethic, and coachability.

  23. #573
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,074
    Ha, I get it, you’re one of those gym rats who doesn’t understand the difference between strength and athleticism.

  24. #574
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Ha, I get it, you’re one of those gym rats who doesn’t understand the difference between strength and athleticism.
    No, but it is possible because I am speaking in terms that, e.g., the coaches at Burke would readily understand, that it may be foreign to you.

    But, maybe you also define "natural athlete" in a very unusual way.

    It's not important, because you really aren't the audience for the message that her work ethic, coachability, and also her parents and the rest of those around her are what got her to where she is, and not that she just was born with huge physical gifts not given to others.

  25. #575
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,551
    Shit, bet she's never dunked a basketball or ran a 5 minute mile.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •